• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Prospero

Status
Not open for further replies.

Screamernail

S

Screamernail

I'm trying to force myself to make unofficial fan game of Valve's cancelled Prospero game!

What i'm planing on doing is making it a my-style and Valve-style mixed point and click adventure game. It's going to be drawn on the MyPaint drawing program and i'll add extra main characters. Fairly little is known about the actual product so i might take inspiration from Half-Life.

It's going to be a 3ds game. I am going to release it as a free and try to make it work for everybody.

I haven't made that much progress on it (Yet) so it might take time. But if i might ask, can i release it with a part of it's story made and then release the whole story in a update?

Screamernail

S

Screamernail

It requires adding a single word to the title, a very magical and forgotten word, called "demo".

So i can't release the game half baked without it being a demo?
I'm just a single developer. Prospero is going to be HappySoft's (My company name) first game and i want to make it playable the fastest i can before i lose interest.

Level 29
You can do whatever you want. Most games today come out half-baked, however missing most of the story, which is what I assume you mean, can result in one of the following extremes:
1) It's the most amazing game ever, and people will drool over the idea of playing the full version in the future, or more likely...
2) People see a half-baked game and think it's just another bad half-baked game on the market.

Now, what you describe, getting something small that runs the fastest first, that's quite the definition of a demo, which sadly companies no longer release nowadays.
You get something that ideally shows many of the types of situations that you'd encounter in the game (some enemies, player abilities, gear, whatever), and then both you and also other people can decide based on that if it's an actual good concept, and if you should work on it more, and if they should be excited about you working on it more.

Screamernail

S

Screamernail

You can do whatever you want. Most games today come out half-baked, however missing most of the story, which is what I assume you mean, can result in one of the following extremes:
1) It's the most amazing game ever, and people will drool over the idea of playing the full version in the future, or more likely...
2) People see a half-baked game and think it's just another bad half-baked game on the market.

Now, what you describe, getting something small that runs the fastest first, that's quite the definition of a demo, which sadly companies no longer release nowadays.
You get something that ideally shows many of the types of situations that you'd encounter in the game (some enemies, player abilities, gear, whatever), and then both you and also other people can decide based on that if it's an actual good concept, and if you should work on it more, and if they should be excited about you working on it more.
Now that i think about it i should make a demonstration first.

Expect some details about the game here. Or if the Thread gets closed down then i'll make a new one. (The course of the Hive)

Status
Not open for further replies.