• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

problems importing only certain specific models

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
I've tried everything I can think of, followed every tutorial I could find on importing models and common mistakes and such, and this one item is still defeating me. It's the Fireflies effect model.

I imported the two files (fireflies.mdx, customglow nocolor 32.blp) and noticed they had a size of 0kb. So, I used the "replace file" selection to reload them, which ended with them both having a size of 3kb. I then made a doodad for them to go on based on the standard "Flies" doodad, which I figured was close enough that most of the default settings would be okay. I directed the art model to Fireflies.mdl (I still don't get why they're all mdx files and somehow end up being mdl files in the end, but whatever) and then saved, closed the editor, reloaded the editor (to make sure everything was loaded freshly) and attempted to place my fireflies. "Cannot load model Fireflies.mdl" was my reward.

Now, I've had this happen before with other models but I believe this is due to my other problem of some files importing the first time (mostly when importing multiple files at the same time) they end up with a size of 0kb. Fixing that has fixed the unable to load issue for most of them, and the others I just decided I could do without. But this is one model/effect that I would really like to use. There's simply nothing available to replace this.

Has anyone here used this model yet? Comments for the file suggested that several people had used it in RPGs and Cinematics. I did try a search on these forums and only got a post complaining about anime based stuff, which isn't applicable to my problem one bit.

-begs for assistance-

--Additional Information Edit--

I took a closer look and the model is actually, to be specific, exactly "Firefly.mdx" and not "fireflies.mdx" as I said before. When doing a forum search on that specific word I did actually find another post where someone pleaded for help with it. I was uanble to get any information from that post due to an error in loading. It seems the post is in here somewhere, but when trying to navigate to it I get "Document has no contents" or something close to that. So, I still need some answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.