• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Spell] Problem with the Barrage ability

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Hello guys i have a problem with the "Barrage" ability i think everyone knows about this ability. I'm making this spell to be put into the Ballista or Glaive Thrower and i have modified the ability to benefit the Ballista. But it does not seem to work at all, i have it's stats allowed the same as the Glaive Thower and number of targets hit into 3 but it does not work. What could i have possibly done wrong in here?

Level 12
upload_2020-9-11_17-1-7.png

This is something I made out of barrage and it works, this is a Hero ability, make sure to set things correct.

Level 9
Barrage doesn't work on units with the Artillery weapon type; you have to change it to Missile.
What's the difference between the Artillery weapon type and Missile weapon type? Does it somehow change the attack damage of the ballista or something if you change it?

Level 21
What's the difference between the Artillery weapon type and Missile weapon type? Does it somehow change the attack damage of the ballista or something if you change it?
The "Combat - Attack x - Weapon Type" field determines which of the other Combat fields do and which don't have an effect on the attack, affects how abilities that differentiate between melee and range interact with the unit's attack (Vampiric Aura, Thorns Aura, Trueshot Aura, Spiked Barricades, Spiked Carrapace, Frost Armor, etc.) and whether certain abilities can be used in combination with the attack (Cleaving Attack, Orbs, Searing Arrows, Barrage, etc.).

Missile - Basic ranged attack; the unit launches a projectile that deals damage to a single target.

Artillery - The unit launches a projectile at the position of the target (not at the target itself) which can damage multiple targets in an area around the primary target. The attack can miss if the target leaves the attacked area before the projectile lands.

Units with this attack type also get the "Attack Ground" command, which allows them to effectively target multiple targets in the chosen area.

Units in which the "Combat - Death Type" field is set to "Can raise..." don't play their normal death animation and don't leave behind a corpse when they die from an artillery attack; instead, the effect defined in the "Art - Special" field of the dying unit is played at its position.

Level 9
The "Combat - Attack x - Weapon Type" field determines which of the other Combat fields do and which don't have an effect on the attack, affects how abilities that differentiate between melee and range interact with the unit's attack (Vampiric Aura, Thorns Aura, Trueshot Aura, Spiked Barricades, Spiked Carrapace, Frost Armor, etc.) and whether certain abilities can be used in combination with the attack (Cleaving Attack, Orbs, Searing Arrows, Barrage, etc.).

Missile - Basic ranged attack; the unit launches a projectile that deals damage to a single target.

Artillery - The unit launches a projectile at the position of the target (not at the target itself) which can damage multiple targets in an area around the primary target. The attack can miss if the target leaves the attacked area before the projectile lands.

Units with this attack type also get the "Attack Ground" command, which allows them to effectively target multiple targets in the chosen area.

Units in which the "Combat - Death Type" field is set to "Can raise..." don't play their normal death animation and don't leave behind a corpse when they die from an artillery attack; instead, the effect defined in the "Art - Special" field of the dying unit is played at its position.
So if i change the weapon type of the ballista to Missile then will it no longer have the Attack Ground Command and it will no longer misses an attack when attacking a unit meaning the projrctile will follow the unit since it is a Missile Weapon type now not an Artillery. Am i correct, Hermit?

Level 9
No, Barrage only works with the "Missile" attack type; it doesn't work with "Missile (Splash)".
Oh...... Sorry for not explaining it more clearly. What i meant is the Attacks of the Ballista can still do SPLASH DAMAGE even if it's just a missile?

Level 21
Oh...... Sorry for not explaining it more clearly. What i meant is the Attacks of the Ballista can still do SPLASH DAMAGE even if it's just a missile?
As I already said, the "Missile" weapon type only deals damage to a single target. Barrage can increase the number of targets, but each missile will still be able to damage only one target.

"Missile (Splash)" weapon type can damage targets in an area around the primary target. However, the unit will only launch one missile since "Missile (Splash)" attacks are not affected by the Barrage ability.

Last edited:
Level 9
As I already said, the "Missile" weapon type only deals damage to a single target. Barrage can increase the number of targets, but each missile will still be able to damage only one target.

"Missile (Splash)" weapon type can damage targets in an area around the primary target. However, the unit will only launch one missile since "Missile (Splash)" attacks are not affected by the Barrage ability.
Ohh.... That explains it. Well thanks for your help Hermit! It's quite disapponting though that barrage only works on Missile Type Attacks, i wish for the next version update of WC3 will enable all attack types to be applied of the barrage ability.

Level 20
Having said all that there's nothing stopping you from putting both Attack Ground and Attack Missile on the same unit (in fact most Siege units have this arrangement in order to attack Trees).

Status
Not open for further replies.