• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Problem with placing structures via trigger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Hi everybody,

i'd like to drop some structures on the map via create unit. The location is calculated as an offset from a center tower (which is placed by the player).
The idea is that the player places the center tower, then a trigger will arise and drop 8 towers around it.
Because it is a TD map with very limited space the positioning of the "substructures" has to be very accurate.
The problem is they are always misplaced depending on which player built the central tower no matter how i adjust the offsets. (1 building square strafed/shifted)

Is there any way to place them right without creating individual offsets for each player? (which would result in 128 custom values which had to be determined by time eating testing, because I believe it has something to do with false rounding of the world coordinates and as a result the subtowers are misplaced when they are created by the trigger in a different quarter of the map)

thanks in advance,
regards

BlacKcuD

Last edited:
Level 8
You could try editing the build pathing for the dropped towers to make them buildable anywhere. Maybe that will help the accuracy of the drop. It's a shot in the dark.

Level 8
Maybe you could make the dropped towers units with no movement speed. That would place them at the right spot.

Just thought of something else...make the the collision size of the dropped towers smaller than one build square. Then any error in offset wouldn't interfere with the adjacent build square. (is it collisions that changes the placement size? dunno)

Level 4
Maybe you could make the dropped towers units with no movement speed. That would place them at the right spot.

Just thought of something else...make the the collision size of the dropped towers smaller than one build square. Then any error in offset wouldn't interfere with the adjacent build square. (is it collisions that changes the placement size? dunno)

i'll try that.

but as far as i know. the collision size of a building has nothing to do with its placement. it is only used for e.g. melee attackers arounding it (in what distance/radius)

Level 8
Off the top of my head i can't be sure but something like 'placement size'.
I like to know if that works.

Status
Not open for further replies.