• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Problem with fake cliff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Hello everyone,

Due to Dday:Judgement map improvement we switched from terrain with hills made with cliffs to terrain with increased heights where need to be hill, so no cliffs. Its nice smooth, looks very cool.... players like it

BUT

problem is that now u can see unit if you are down hill and it is up hill... which wasnt possible with real cliff, and players want it to be "fixed"
if i put sight blocker it will block both ways not just down to up...

also there is no miss chance if you are down and attacking up.

is there any way to fix these??

Level 10
With some pretty difficult coding, maybe. I believe there is a Real like Zloc or LocZ (hope someone will fill you in here, not my area) or something (not in GUI) which refers to the real Z value of a location. If I'm right, you can use that, but I can't help you much there, unfortunately.

Otherwise, I suggest using cliffs anyway, but making a lot of ramps to camouflage and make them like hills instead, and combining with minor use of raise/lower. Don't listen to impractical terrainers who don't care about a terrain's playability. My point: You can use cliff levels without showing any cliffs by making those terrain ramps (NOT talking of doodad ramps). Just make sure you have your fingers on Ctr + Z, 'cause cliffs are sometimes very unpredictable. And remake the ramps when they don't work. You need 2 squares of cliff on both sides in an inward cliff angle, to make an angled ramp, and to avoid ugly holes in the surface. The angled ramps will look too angled, so you need to raise them enough in the middle (if they are inward) or on the hill sides (if we're talking something like a completely round hill) to make them appear more rounded. And the same goes for the top of the hills. Use raise/lower to round them, so you get hills, not pyramid stumps.
You may also experience sometimes that the ground pathing turns off on some areas of the ramp. This happens to me on like 1/20 tiles of ramp. This is fixed with an invisible platform destructible, which is better than loads of line of sight blockers imo.

Raise/lower was never meant as a carving and construction tool.

Last edited:
Level 11
Im pretty sure there is no real way to do this. I tried to do it and it doesnt seem to work without creating massive lag because you have to find a large number of locations around every unit in the map and check if the z is higher than the location of the unit and then create a visibility modifier that makes fog at that point. Maybe there is a way to do it efficiently but im not sure because im not that advanced in jass.

Status
Not open for further replies.