• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Privacy is Long Gone...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
I was absolutely shocked when I began to read into privacy rights and permissions involving
apps on phones. I always knew it was a bit invasive, but this is just disgusting...

Before downloading a program, Samsung apps will tell you what permissions this app will have
on your phone. I will quote directly some of the frequently occuring permissions:

Retreive Running Apps

Allow the app to retreive information about currently and recently running tasks. This may allow the app to discover information about which applications are used on the device.

Connect and Disconnect from Wi-Fi

Allows the app to connect to and disconnect from Wi-Fi access points and to make changes to device configurations for Wi-Fi networks.

Send SMS Messages

Allows the app to send SMS messages. This may result in unexpected charges. Malicious apps may cost you money without your confirmation.

Read phone status and identity

Allows the app to access the phone features of the device. This permission alows the app to determine the phone number and device ID's, whether a call is active, and the remote number connected by a call.

View Wi-Fi connections

Allows the app to view information about Wi-Fi networking, such as whether Wi-Fi is enabled and the name of the connected Wi-Fi devices.

Receive data from the internet

Allows apps to accept cloud to device messages sent by the app's service. Using this service will incur daat usage. Malicious apps could cause excess data usage.

Find accounts on the device
Allows the app to get the list of accounts known by the phone. This may include any accounts created by applications you have installed.

Precise (GPS) location

Access precise location sources such as the Global Positioning System on the phone. When location services are avilable and turned on, this permission allows the app to determine your precise location.

Approximate (network-based) location

Access approximate location from location providers using network sources such as cell tower and Wi-Fi. When these location services are avilable and turned on, this permission allows the app to determine your approximate location.

Access extra location provider commands

Allows the app to access extra location provider commands. This may allow the app to interfere with the operation of the GPS or other location sources.

And that is just the half of them! Now of course, a navigation program will use precise, approximate
and location provider commands. But why does a little zombie chase game need my exact location?
Additionally, nearly every program is asking for permissions not even slightly relevant to the program.
Most of them use it for marketting purposes. I don't give a damn what its being used for, its a complete
invasion of privacy!

Just think about the few apps on your phones sharing everything and anything about your identity, interests
and history. This is just plain scary guys...

Level 14
Marketing at its finest. In Germany (if i remember correctly) there are malls in which you are REQUIRED to provide phone number when you make a purchase. Then your number goes into a huge database center located in the mall.
Then hell begins.
SMS, MMS, Emails to google customers... Once you cross the mall's central gate you are flooded with around 20 messages (if you are regular visitor, if not - even more) of new stock and updates on sales etc etc.

That kind of agressive marketing grows stronger every day, and worse is that the experts are focusing on exactly such ways of cheap comertialisation. It is unavoidable.

Level 16
Just don't download them if you're concerned about your privacy?

Do you have a phone with any apps on it? Do these privacy issues not concern you the slightest?

its not invasion of privacy they specifically tell u the info they collect

I chose to say invasion because thats how I feel on the topic. Do you think its right, or ok for them to collect this information about you?

Status
Not open for further replies.