• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Preview trigger (null)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 25
See https://www.hiveworkshop.com/resources/the-siege-of-minas-tirith-0-6.81730/preview?trigger=111

Why is there a (null) at the end of the trigger actions? It seems to only appear for assignment of String variables.

I really like the feature btw. you could do more previews from the object manager etc. whoever did this deserves an award.

edit:

Theoretically you could even make a preview of the whole map since you already preview 3D models and only need to read terrain, unit and Doodad data from the map xD However, I am not sure if it is really THAT useful :D

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
Why is there a (null) at the end of the trigger actions? It seems to only appear for assignment of String variables.
No idea. Added to the list.
I really like the feature btw. you could do more previews from the object manager etc. whoever did this deserves an award.
Thank you!
Theoretically you could even make a preview of the whole map since you already preview 3D models and only need to read terrain, unit and Doodad data from the map xD However, I am not sure if it is really THAT useful :D
You'll want to talk to GhostWolf about the Map View in 3D. The short answer is it will be very slow and he's not happy :D

Level 25
The map preview would be a great feature but I understand it would be really slow since it has to load all custom imported resources etc.
It crashed the tab for my Minas Tirith map.

Well I had another idea which would be really useful but complicated to implement/maybe slow. Sometimes it can be useful to add some stuff to the map description on Hive like which unit types are available/which heroes can be chosen etc. Theoretically, you have all the data from the map file.

If I had the possibilty to link certain data from the map file, I could create a better map description based on it without writing everything down manually and I could preview models and icons without uploading them to the map description.

For example, look at this website: http://classic.battle.net/war3/human/units/peasant.shtml

It lists all races/units/heroes and stats and gives an overview over classic warcraft but it had to be written down manually. Now if I just could link stuff from my map like:
[MAPDATA file="TheSiegeOfMinasTirith0.6.w3x" unit="U005" field="model"][/MAPDATA]

and it would generate a model view link/window or for icons:
[MAPDATA file="TheSiegeOfMinasTirith0.6.w3x" unit="U005" field="icon"][/MAPDATA]

This would be a pretty amazing feature to select certain stuff from a map to create its description but obviously so much work to extract all the data etc. It could work the same way for custom campaigns.

You could also allow linking icons/models/unit types etc. from the standard game. It's just like the raw codes in ability tooltips.
Maybe it would be too much work and not cache very well if you allow it for every map :D

It might be easier just to write down a custom description, upload some icons and pictures/GIFs of the models.

Level 25
Yep, I mean specific fields and depending on the field type it could be a model preview, icon or just a number or text or tooltip with raw data. I am not sure if it could be useful for anything else except creating map descriptions and it would only work on hive so if you upload your map on another website it won't be that useful anymore.

edit:
And btw. is there no icon for trigger tags in the post bar? I only see a code icon and its hidden under the dots ...
I would add the code and trigger icons directly in the bar since they are more important than other formatting icons in most of the posts.
I also would add different colored icons. The yellow symbols are not distinct enough I think. For example, in World Editor's trigger editor we have a red flag for events, something green for conditions and even different colors for the action categories. It would help to directly insert a trigger when creating a post. You could also add a hint "Right click on the trigger name in the right window and select Copy Text" for people who are new to the editor and don't know how to copy a trigger into the post/forum. That's all just minor usability stuff.

Last edited:
Level 25
Btw. here is another issue with the trigger preview: https://www.hiveworkshop.com/resources/the-siege-of-minas-tirith-0-6.81730/preview?trigger=539
  • Animation - Play the death (Unexpected type: 'animationname') animation for all doodads of type LOtz (Unexpected type: 'doodadcode') within (Playable map area).
the unexpected types.

For the raw codes like here: https://www.hiveworkshop.com/resources/the-siege-of-minas-tirith-0-6.81730/preview?trigger=244

Maybe you could show the raw code and the name but then you would have to extract the object data and maybe the name is not useful anyway. I only used the trigger preview to post links to someone to show my triggers and analyze the performance. I am not sure of what use the preview is for other people but if you are planning to preview object data as well some day, you can bring it together.

Status
Not open for further replies.