• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Preserving Custom Campaign Progress between versions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
From what I can tell, any maps that are not marked as Initially Visible in the campaign screen will not be visible on new versions of the campaign even if you got them enabled by playing through a previous version.

The solution I'm thinking about is to have a trigger in the first map that checks the cache of later missions, and enables custom campaign buttons accordingly, so you can restore your past progress.

But I just want to make sure I'm not over-complicating this. Is there any better way of preserving custom campaign progress?

Blackest Nightmare does this by capturing unique information that only exists once player cleared a specific level to decide which level has been unlocked. Not the best solution, but it works.

Alternatively, just have a game cache value that determine the last chapter played and update it if the current chapter is higher than the saved value. This is by far the simplest approach I could think of that does not use multiple caches.

Level 20
Set a flag at the end of a completed map and save it as a variable along with everything else. The only point of this flag is if the map is completed.

Your very first map will check to see if any of those are checked off, and if so, then make the button visible.

So basically exactly what you think it involves.

Status
Not open for further replies.