• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

PowerTrip

User who uploaded this Presents

Power Trip
Created by normalice

Map Info:
Intended to be a standard FFA map, but with some minor quirks that open up the possibility of more diverse strategies. Particularly, I've noted that maps that have gold mines only accessible by zeppelin rarely have those mines used. There is added incentive to use them on this map.

Features:
Zepplins are intended to be a major factor on this map, though they are not technically required. Unlike the Blizzard map "Hurricane Isle" there is a clear ground path to each others bases, but a large number of the more powerful creeps are up on ledges.

In fact, on the center "main" ledge, each creep camp drops a tome of power (and another item) - hence the name of the map "Power Trip". There are 8 total creep camps on the main ledge, allowing one to potentially gain a significant advantage with multiple heros.

In addition, each starting mine has has 25k and each natural expansion has 12.5k. The only other expansion mines are also up on the main ledge. They have 50k each, but are guarded by flying units.

The two observatories are the only creep camps not on the ledge that are red. They drop a tome of knowledge and another item.

A creep at the goblin shops drops a rune of the watcher. 16 green and 10 orange creeps camps (four orange camps for each natural expansion) are available on the ground. 6 more orange camps are available on outlying ledges - each of those dropping a tome of experience and another item. Unused gold mines have red creep camps that drop two level 5 items (one permanent, one charged).

Fountains of health in two (top-right, bottom-left) of the corners (Observatories in the other two corners). Shops 'near' the fountains.

Two taverns also available ('near' observatories).

Updates:
Fountain creeps changed to 'red' difficulty.
All red creep camps on the ground now drop a dagger of escape instead of a random level 7 item, to address the potential imbalance of a warden having 'early' access to the ledges.
Orb of frost and +15 attack claws moved to red creeps on the ledge (10 and 15% chance of each, respectively).
Added about twice the trees
Added some rocks/doodads..
-
Expanded path size on the left side to reduce bottleneck.
-
Increased 'landing' size at upper-right 'ledge' expansion so orcs/humans can build there
added pathing/line of sight blockers to manmade walls in center to help avoid accidentally engaging creeps
-
'regularized' creeps in center.
reduced corner drops, made fountain camps a bit harder.
-
fixed a pathing issue with the top-left tavern

Screenshots:
Can be found here

Author's notes:

This map has only been tested against the computer AI. If anyone uses it in a game with live players, please post replays somewhere and provide a link to it here!

Depending on what people think, I may swap out the fountains for more observatories..

Other work:
Pack

Map Description Template Created by -Kobas-
Find more here: Map Description - Templates
Contents

PowerTrip (Map)

Reviews
22:14, 28th Apr 2013 Orcnet: good idea of working with the zeppelins this somehow turns the gaming session into a conditional role as well as stronger creeps to raid in hidden areas

M

22:14, 28th Apr 2013
Orcnet: good idea of working with the zeppelins this somehow turns the gaming session into a conditional role as well as stronger creeps to raid in hidden areas

Level 3
hey normalice happy to see you keep making maps.

I will experiment it and see how it goes.

Any chance you could do some 6-8 players FFA friendly maps? We need more of those :p

Level 3
Ok checked it. I'm talking only about ffa playstyle because it is what i do.

The map looks really nice but I have to say you rely too often (on a FFA pov) on Islands / unaccessible zone without zeppelins / portals.

These maps are not enjoybale to play ffa on because it create long lame boring games : mass towering basically, and lame strategy based on air armies only. These 4 digged expos are a big NO go : 50k is way too much for an expo, common gold count is max 20k on some special mines, usually it is more like 15-12,5-10k. On this map players would fast gargs/hyppo/... these 50k mines then tower them up like crazy.

It is the same issue with hegemony which I like the design, pos etc... very much. But main can be accessed by portal only... these portals will get towered, only access to the main will be by air and zep.

FFA is far more enjoyable when each races has a choice to mix up units and not just rely on air units and towers. :)

Finally for a ffa to be enjoyable, you must consider giving access to 2 expos to each players in a 4 ways (one orange creep camp, one red creep camp)

Level 13
Ok checked it. I'm talking only about ffa playstyle because it is what i do.

The map looks really nice but I have to say you rely too often (on a FFA pov) on Islands / unaccessible zone without zeppelins / portals.

These maps are not enjoybale to play ffa on because it create long lame boring games : mass towering basically, and lame strategy based on air armies only. These 4 digged expos are a big NO go : 50k is way too much for an expo, common gold count is max 20k on some special mines, usually it is more like 15-12,5-10k. On this map players would fast gargs/hyppo/... these 50k mines then tower them up like crazy.

It is the same issue with hegemony which I like the design, pos etc... very much. But main can be accessed by portal only... these portals will get towered, only access to the main will be by air and zep.

FFA is far more enjoyable when each races has a choice to mix up units and not just rely on air units and towers. :)

Finally for a ffa to be enjoyable, you must consider giving access to 2 expos to each players in a 4 ways (one orange creep camp, one red creep camp)
hm. nice to have some real feedback :-D

I'm working on a new map, (Peel, that might meet an "acceptable amount" of your criteria for a map suitable for 8-players: it, too, is a 12-player map, but the layout of it is very... unusual to the point that it could theoretically support any number of players. Although there are waygates, just to warn you: With what I had in mind there was just no way to avoid them, but all the terrain around the waygates are unbuildable, so they can't be towered anyhow. I was going to do something similar in hegemony, but that was hard to pull off and still make it "look" good..

Anyway, it's still in the testing phases... This site doesn't really give much feedback beyond the way a map "looks," so I'd be delighted if someone who plays on maps could give me their input.

As for this map "Power Trip," it was designed as a 'theme' map. It's not intended to be a 'completely' standard FFA - because blizzard already provides those - and I wouldn't expect it to be the choice of a tournament or something. I had Hurricane Isle in mind when I made it - the strategy for this map is going to be abnormal. But everyone is still playing on the same map, so it's fair..

Level 3
hm. nice to have some real feedback :-D

I'm working on a new map, (Peel, that might meet an "acceptable amount" of your criteria for a map suitable for 8-players: it, too, is a 12-player map, but the layout of it is very... unusual to the point that it could theoretically support any number of players. Although there are waygates, just to warn you: With what I had in mind there was just no way to avoid them, but all the terrain around the waygates are unbuildable, so they can't be towered anyhow. I was going to do something similar in hegemony, but that was hard to pull off and still make it "look" good..

Anyway, it's still in the testing phases... This site doesn't really give much feedback beyond the way a map "looks," so I'd be delighted if someone who plays on maps could give me their input.

As for this map "Power Trip," it was designed as a 'theme' map. It's not intended to be a 'completely' standard FFA - because blizzard already provides those - and I wouldn't expect it to be the choice of a tournament or something. I had Hurricane Isle in mind when I made it - the strategy for this map is going to be abnormal. But everyone is still playing on the same map, so it's fair..

Thanks for your answer :)

I noticed on all the melee map thread that comments were always about how good the map was looking and not really about actually playing them.

In the end I suppose the ultimate goal is to get those map played by actual players :p. For our FFA autohost bot and our league we indeed look for new melee maps to spice things up. We have new events all the time and we want players to not get bored playing the same maps over and over again.

Splatter is a good example of a successfull ffa map. I found some others on this site : (6) Stormshingle Moutain, (4) Foreplay, (6) Deamonheim,(4)SpringWater Harbour...

We host a tournament to introduce new maps on sunday and im going to get them played.

For the maps I found on hive I test them myself vs computers and if it is decent for ffa, I create a game with real players.

Fyi, we host approximately 250 ffa games a day on our bot.

I will keep digging here to find new maps, and I will look for yours !