• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Power Fields <help required>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Hey guys

So I'm doing some custom race design and I've decided I really want this race to feature a "you can only build near our buildings" mechanic for buildings similar to the undead's blight or power fields from the protoss race in Starcraft.
Ideally, I'd simply be able to duplicate the blight and re-texture the existing blight but from what I can tell that's a near impossible task to do in the WC3 editor. I have tinkered around with a lot of ideas but all come with some major drawbacks (like using a trigger to set all the surrounding terrain as "unbuildable" or something).

Just wanted to get some ideas and//or solutions for how I could achieve this, thanks guys.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Use triggers to cancel build orders not in the power field and display the owner a warning message like "Must place that in a power field". When a structure dies, you can check if all buildings it was powering have access to alternative power, and if not then pause them or silence them or however you want power to work.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.