• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Possible to use replace skins in campaign or custom game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Is there anyway i can possibly use the skins i downloaded in Frozen Throne campaign or custom map? I mean like replace the original skins with ones i have downloaded. It seem to me that the only way to use skins is through maps u have created through world editor. Also i just found out when i import the blp file and change the paths to what the readme's tell me to the skins don't work for example CHaos Dwarf2.blp tells me to set the path ReplaceableTextures\HeroMountainKing\heromountainking.blp i set the path to that it doesnt work when i run the game

Last edited:
Level 7
Well I think its possible but I'm not sure how. You would need to download Magos Model Editor open it go on the tab "MPQ Browser" ( You find it in hte "Windows" Tab.) If youre in the MPQ Browser you go to > File > OPen MPQ archive then you browse to the spot you installed your wc3 and then select war3 for RoC units and war3x for TFT units.
Now you search the unit you want in the MPQ Browser.

If you found it click on it. Then open the textures tab. Right click in the field which just opened and click "Import". Search for your skin and Import it.

Now you go to the material tab. There will be Some "Materials" with strange letters and numbers behind them. Dont mind them just click on them and then click on "MaterialLayer...." on the left you'll find the texture this material uses.

For example if you want to modify the OrcPeon. Find all the Materials that Use the "Units/Orc/OrcPeon/OrcPeon" or something like this. And change it to the path of the texture you just imported.

Its very important that you search for your personal MPQ by using "Open MPQ archive" because these are the skins and models your wc3 uses. If you use one of the MPQ Magos shows it wont work I think.

Well, this is not guranteed to work. It might work but I'm not sure because I didnt try it in this way. Good Luck :)

There's a script or something similar for Windows (Click). Simply doubleclick on the file once downloaded.

Quote:
"This will allow you to replace the files you want to change just by putting them into your WarCraft folder."

You can either create a foldertree similar to the one in each MPQ (for example units/nightelf/HeroWarden) or you simply put the files in your Warcraft 3 root folder (this will even overwrite files that otherwise would have to be replaced IN the specific MPQ).

Works for all files, even music, but be sure they have the correct names.

For replacing standard textures and models, simply rename the files accordingly:
-> Rename files (example: You want to replace the Deathknight's skin: rename the BLP to HeroDeathknight.blp)
-> For custom model usage: Rename the .mdx file to the filename of the unit's mdx you want to replace (f.ex. HeroWarden.mdx), but don't rename its textures (if HeroWarden.mdx uses XXXXX.blp, DON'T rename the texture, it won't show ingame otherwise).
Make sure that you place the custom model texture where the modelfile tells you to (f.ex. Textures/XXXXX.blp).

Hope this is somewhat understandable. xP

Status
Not open for further replies.