• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Polygon Limit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Does anyone know what the limit on polygons is for Warcraft? I'm going to make a model of a soldier that actually looks like a soldier, not some Starcraft guy, and I would like to know how many polygons the engine can take.
I know it needs to be as low as possible, but I want to get as much detail in it as possible, especially in the face for the portrait, so would around 1200 be pushing it?

Level 27
Well, if you want to make a detailed portrait, make a separate portrait model. This will allow you to pump a lot more detail into the face since you can delete whatever wont be seen.
Warcraft 3 models' limits should be dependent on what you're making. A mass unit like a soldier should probably be under 700-800.
A hero/unique unit can be larger.
--donut3.5--

Level 6
Well right now I have it at 1278, although I can probably combine some of the triangles and make it a lot less.
Thanks.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
WC3 can easilly handle 2000+, but remember that the more you have on screen, the better graphic card you need.

Also once a certain limate is excedded, the graphics start to fall appart in WC3 and the textures no longer get texture clamped. Also the graphics start to be pulled towards a black hole at the center of where they mostly are.

Level 6
WC3 can easilly handle 2000+, but remember that the more you have on screen, the better graphic card you need.

Also once a certain limate is excedded, the graphics start to fall appart in WC3 and the textures no longer get texture clamped. Also the graphics start to be pulled towards a black hole at the center of where they mostly are.

Yes, that's what I'm trying to avoid. I knew most of the models were relatively low in the polygon count, but I wasn't sure what the limit should be with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.