1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Choose your ride to damnation in the 5th Special Effect Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The winners of the 13th Techtree Contest have been announced!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The 13th Music Contest Poll is up! Vote for the best tracks in this symphony of frost and flame.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Race against the odds and Reforge, Don't Refund. The 14th Techtree Contest has begun!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Pls make one file in which all the maps would be to download

Discussion in 'Site Discussion' started by makolion, Sep 8, 2005.

1. virdicyer

virdicyer

Resources:
    Resources:
    I've done that before. I did it when I downloaded all 291 episodes of DBZ in 64 Gigs of torrents.

You could make them smaller by having a torrent per section. That'd certainly cut down on size for those that don't want the whole thing, or for those that don't know how to select what files to download in a torrent.

2. Horn

Horn

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    They don't work.

3. DeadDogNoGoWoof

DeadDogNoGoWoof

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    yes they do.

4. oz02

oz02

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Although that was thread revival I will leave this thread open because virdicyer's idea is interesting.

The problem is, I don't think there'd be enough users downloading the maps to keep the torrent alive. Also, I doubt most users even have any torrent downloading programs. Of course, even if that idea worked, there would have to be someone to start the torrent, and it couldn't be everything because it would be way too big.

5. Blade.dk2

Blade.dk2

Resources:
    Resources:
    I can't see what's wrong with thread revival, in my opinion it's better to have all about a topic in the same thread, instead of thousand of mini threads which makes seaching horrible and uses more bandwidth.

6. oz02

oz02

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    The problem with thread revival is when a thread which has it's discussion finished is revived. This thread, for example, had its discussion finished, so reviving it is only annoying. However, since it was revived with another idea that can continue the discussion, its ok.

7. virdicyer

virdicyer

Resources:
    Resources:
    Have any of you been to ocremix.org? They have a bittorrent system going to distribute their songs (1250+).

"Many of the Bittorrent clients can only handle torrents with up to 500ish files in them. Although our recommended clients can work with at least 1000 files in an individual torrent, we figured that it would be best to not require people that already have a Bittorrent client installed to have to upgrade" --OCRemix.org, regarding number of files in torrents

They have 3 torrents for their main remixes so far. The torrents have been up for a long time and each still has 20+ seeders. They also have several other torrents for specific games... each of those has 5+ seeders.

That means a torrent per map type and those small categories (Campaign, CTF, Footman Wars, etc.) can be combined. Or if you did 1000 files per torrent, then that's be 4 torrents.

8. Fulla

Fulla

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Well what would be good if someone went into the spells section and gathered lots of spells onto 1 map.

e.g. a map with every fire spell, a map with every1 frost spell.

But then again who'd want to waste their time doing that :p

9. Blade.dk2

Blade.dk2

Resources:
    Resources:
    Well, that is good to know.