• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Pls make one file in which all the maps would be to download

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Could u pls make one file in which all the maps would be to download???? It would be much easier to download all the maps that would be in one folder pls when jes do it quickly. :?:

Level 11
Unfortunately we can't and won't do this. It would be a considerable amount of work. No site makes this. We have so many maps that the zip would be a considerable number of GBs. That's absurd! Why would you want to download ALL the map? Start with the campaigns. They will take you some time to finish. I would start with Darky's campaigns.

~Daelin

Level 4
i am proud to say i dled about 14 GB of emu :) form the internet ...so there are crazy people like me.... But i would recomend a zip with the best maps and campaings :p that would be a lot better

Level 2
that would be a dam long DL time,

now times you by others who will do it as well
also add how many DL stuf everday

then the site will be so damn slow (even though it already is) that you cant link to another page here without waiting the following week

Level 1
Oh dang. And also, phew. I was gonna made a thread about this too. Good thing I saw it before I did it...

Mainly... it's about saving time. Now, I know that the person that creates the huge thing will have to spend some time; but if you consider how many people will be manually downloading each map, then think of the time saving that would happen if just one person were to make a single file.

I don't know about this single file thing, but in today's mass downloading frenzy, bittorrent is preferred. It'd also be a good idea to seperate the maps in the categories they're already in. Just make a bittorrent that has all the maps in their respective folders.

I know this would be 'n' GB and would take a long time to download, but there are those of us that would do it. And if bittorrent... would seed the bittorrent. Looking at the 250+ pages of maps here and 300+ at warcraft3.org... I certainly wish there was a bittorrent with all the maps.

It's certainly doubtful that we'd ever play all the maps, but the main idea is that we'd have a big enough selection to find a great deal of maps that we really like.

Another reason we crazy people want to download such a huge load is that we're hoping to, amoung the Gigs of maps, attain the good ol' maps that people don't have or play on Bnet anymore. I've recently found some people that have some good old maps, and have been able to find Smash CTV. This is also a favorite of mine from Starcraft, which no one has or plays anymore...

The main idea of a single file is to make it easier to get the maps. We'd rather spend our bandwidth 24/7 downloading a huge file than manually downloading and browsing through thousands of pages to find a certain map. Of course, if you don't, then we'll still be where we are now: manually downloading a single map at a time. Although, we prefer to d/l everything then test the maps, than download, test, download, test.

Level 25
1 gig?

Wulf, you are underestimating

Considering that this site rips through just under 1024 gigabytes a month, I'd easily say it'd be in the hundreds of gigabytes

That wouldn't be "very long", that'd be "Leaving your computer on and network unused for a week"

Level 1
I've done that before. I did it when I downloaded all 291 episodes of DBZ in 64 Gigs of torrents.

You could make them smaller by having a torrent per section. That'd certainly cut down on size for those that don't want the whole thing, or for those that don't know how to select what files to download in a torrent.

Level 13
Although that was thread revival I will leave this thread open because virdicyer's idea is interesting.

The problem is, I don't think there'd be enough users downloading the maps to keep the torrent alive. Also, I doubt most users even have any torrent downloading programs. Of course, even if that idea worked, there would have to be someone to start the torrent, and it couldn't be everything because it would be way too big.

Level 7
oz02 said:
Although that was thread revival I will leave this thread open because virdicyer's idea is interesting.

I can't see what's wrong with thread revival, in my opinion it's better to have all about a topic in the same thread, instead of thousand of mini threads which makes seaching horrible and uses more bandwidth.

Level 13
The problem with thread revival is when a thread which has it's discussion finished is revived. This thread, for example, had its discussion finished, so reviving it is only annoying. However, since it was revived with another idea that can continue the discussion, its ok.

Level 1
Have any of you been to ocremix.org? They have a bittorrent system going to distribute their songs (1250+).

"Many of the Bittorrent clients can only handle torrents with up to 500ish files in them. Although our recommended clients can work with at least 1000 files in an individual torrent, we figured that it would be best to not require people that already have a Bittorrent client installed to have to upgrade" --OCRemix.org, regarding number of files in torrents

They have 3 torrents for their main remixes so far. The torrents have been up for a long time and each still has 20+ seeders. They also have several other torrents for specific games... each of those has 5+ seeders.

That means a torrent per map type and those small categories (Campaign, CTF, Footman Wars, etc.) can be combined. Or if you did 1000 files per torrent, then that's be 4 torrents.

Level 12
Well what would be good if someone went into the spells section and gathered lots of spells onto 1 map.

e.g. a map with every fire spell, a map with every1 frost spell.

But then again who'd want to waste their time doing that :p

Level 7
oz02 said:
The problem with thread revival is when a thread which has it's discussion finished is revived. This thread, for example, had its discussion finished, so reviving it is only annoying. However, since it was revived with another idea that can continue the discussion, its ok.

Well, that is good to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.