• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Planescape Torment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 34
I never played Planescape, but I did play the Baldur's Gate series, which came from Black Isle, same maker from Planescape.

To be honest I got no opinion about Planescape, other than the HUD looks distasteful in my view.

But I might look into it.

Level 1
P:T is one of the best rpgs ever created, not playing it is a sin for rpg fan ;]

The story is unique, and intriguing- it's one of the few rpgs, where you don't rescue the world... instead you must rescue yourself, and find answer to that one, most important question...

Level 13
I never played Planescape, but I did play the Baldur's Gate series, which came from Black Isle, same maker from Planescape.

To be honest I got no opinion about Planescape, other than the HUD looks distasteful in my view.

But I might look into it.

Baldur's Gate is Bioware. Planescape Torment and Icewind Dale are Black Isle.

Level 11
I love the various philosophical aspects of the game, the way it deals with morality, ethics and religious notions. Planescape was a surreal experience to me, it made me ponder about the approximations a game can have, a simple flight of fancy can change the conceptions of reality. Such is the power of a video game.

Level 5
Planescape: Torment was an awesome game. A bit buggy and glitchy at the best of times, but the sheer scope of story-line and characterisation more than made up for its inherent flaws. It is probably one of my all time favourite RPGs.

Level 13
That's why you play the game... novel... and don't read the novel... novel...

Er... This is confusing.

Considering it's a very open-ended game, I can't imagine any novelisation being satisfying.

Well, one of the reasons why fans dislike the novel is because it also changed the plot into directions which weren't even in the game.

Level 5
some things are meant to be what they are meant to be. you can't change them or transfer them to a different media. Planescape is one of those things.

Agreed.

It wouldn't quite be the same without useless dialogue and witty comments from Morte. Especially as he tries to use chat-up lines on the Zombies in the very early stages of the game...

It's like taking Lord of the Rings 1, 2 and 3... and putting them into the hands of a low-budget theater company. It will never be as epic or as good as the original thing. The novels were even 10x better than the films... And that's saying something...

Planescape: Torment is a game. Interactive and deep. A novel is sort of two dimensional, and takes you in one direction. The game on the otherhand allows you to go any which way you would like!

Level 16
This is a game that made me play over and over again, to test out various story & plots, different main classes, alignment styles, epic sfx spells, just to name some. One of the best, if not the best, storyline that I have ever encountered in a game. /end raving

By the way I played this game nearly 8 years ago, when I have no internet. So basically I have to try out every damn path myself without the benefit of a game guide or cheats. I remembered that I was still unable to find all the level 9 spells (with the exception of Abyssal Fury and Celestial Fury); remembered spending a lot of time figuring how and where to recruit Vhailor; wondered if I can be a cleric class like Grace; and worse of all I couldn't remember what I did right in a previous game that when I want to replicate my actions in a newer game, I always ended up doing something wrong. So yeah, its a very open ended game, and I still feel like a newbie even though I have completed the game about 4 times. Those were good times :3

Status
Not open for further replies.