• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Permanent Floating Text / Lightning FX not appearing when first created offscreen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Has anyone else ever encountered this? It doesn't always happen. Is there a fix of any kind or a more proper way to make them?

Example - I create a lightning effect in the NW corner of the map. If my camera starts up there at map initialization, I will see it.

Let's say my camera starts on the other side of the map though, and then look up there. You should be able to see either a lightning effect OR floating text through fog, right? Well, many times it will simply not show at all, map revealed or otherwise.

Edit: the lightning effect issue was my dumb mistake. However, I've had this floating text issue for years though.

Last edited:
Can you show the triggers you use to create your texttags? If you are creating it on map initialization, try creating it instead on the event "Time - Elapsed game time equal to 0.00 seconds".

As for lightning, it is due to a particular field "checkVisibility" being set to true when you create lightning through GUI. More info here:
AddLightningEx - WarCraft3

You'll have to create your lightning through JASS if you want it to show through fog of war.

Level 9
My triggers do use elapsed time, at 12 seconds into the game. They're very simple and just create floating text at ten different regions. Then I define them in an array. Five of them are for one faction and five for the other

The thing is you never have trouble seeing the ones on your side, ever. You go to the other side, and every now and again they'll just all be gone. I've even seen them disappear after initially being there!

It's like uhh...I defined these guys. How could they just disappear, they aren't destroyed *anywhere* in my map because they're meant to last the entire match.

Edit: Shit, I wonder if they're being overwritten by moments where damage numbers are intense due to spells being cast all at once. Crap, that would explain all of this. Uuuughh now I'm really not sure what to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.