• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Paucity

Map Info:

A giant forest fire has ravaged the land. Now that everything is swept away, only scarce resources are remaining.

Features:
  • 4 Gold Mines - 15000 Main, 12000 Expansions
  • 10 Green Creep Camps
  • 8 Orange Creep Camps
  • 2 Red Creep Camps
  • 2 Goblin Merchants
  • 2 Goblin Laboratories
  • 1 Tavern

*2/3 update
-map smaller
-creep changes
-item changes
-terrain polished

changelog 12/13
-map smaller
-adjusted AOW sites
-minor item changes
-additional creeps
Contents

Paucity (Map)

Level 10
Hmmm... maybe add smoke here and there? also, for burnt tree stumps you can use northrend dead trees (if you can put them ans keep the map labeled "melee")

I've tried them but I found it hard to harmonize with the existing trees.
The concept of this map is that the land is in the recovery stage, so I think it would be enough with what I have now.
Thanks for your suggestion though :)

Level 19
So after a long while I decided to approve the map. The current score is 3.5/5, and here comes the reasons:
The map is fairly simple though well executed, with a nice but not overwhelmed terrain, it also contains just enough creeps and gold for a 2 player melee map.
On the other hand a bit more terrain variation would have been nice, seing how most of the map is dirt or rough dirt, plants are also missed, both on land and water. That would be pretty much it though. Approved with full score of 4/5

Level 10
So after a long while I decided to approve the map. The current score is 3.5/5, and here comes the reasons:
The map is fairly simple though well executed, with a nice but not overwhelmed terrain, it also contains just enough creeps and gold for a 2 player melee map.
On the other hand a bit more terrain variation would have been nice, seing how most of the map is dirt or rough dirt, plants are also missed, both on land and water. That would be pretty much it though. Approved with full score of 4/5

I partly agree that the overall landscape is a bit plain, as I not ventured to try new things, such as northrend trees and etc. Thank you for your consistent care and approval.

Level 8
I really like this map, it looks simple at first glance, yet upon further inspection it becomes clear that considerable effort was put into this map - the placement of doodads, terrain layout, balanced creeps and the overall theme work well to create a very pleasant Melee experience.

One minor issue I have, however, regards the Granite Golem's drop - the level 2 permanent item seems unnecessary. At a stage when players are able to take on a red camp that can also cast two storm bolts (golems, I mean), none of these level 2 items are going to have much impact on the game (apart from Boots of Speed, sometimes). I feel like replacing the permanent item drop with a level 2 book (or just fixed Tome of Experience) would make it much easier in terms of inventory management while actually having some minor impact on the game. But really, it's not a big problem.

In fact, there is one more issue I have, though it's only a visual problem - the cliffs throughout the map appear pretty bland in comparison to the otherwise neatly designed battlefield. This is especially noticable near the shops and red camps. Putting a few trees or bushes would do the trick, I think.

I noticed something interesting when looking at the shop area. The space between the cliffs made it seem like it'd be possible to sneak through if you cut the trees, allowing for shopping without killing the creeps or having Windwalk. It's actually not the case as the space is too small for even a peon to fit through XD However, in my opinion, altering that area a bit and thus allowing for such shenanigans would add some flavour to the map, making it have something distinctive and innovative. You could even use the Northrend trees in order to show what to cut so as to give players a small hint! It's just a mere suggestion, though, and definitely not something super-important. I just think it'd look very cool.
awq.png

In spite of me writing essays about the smallest of issues, I genuinely think this is a very good map! I especially liked those solitary burnt-down buildings, they really convey the theme of the map and give this very feeling of paucity.

Cheers.