• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Patch 1.31.1 Backup Files

Level 2
Someone had the same problem and the only way to fix this issue was playing the campaign on the latest version. However, playing the campaign with 1.31 might risk of getting tons of bugs, especially the game breaking triggers.
even if I wanted to update it, I can't because I can't update it because the update don't work on my pc

Level 28
even if I wanted to update it, I can't because I can't update it because the update don't work on my pc
You mean installing the Warcraft III and letting it auto-update? As you can tell, all of the Warcraft III downloads from Blizzard will automatically install Reforged (1.32.10), which screws up everything. The only thing you can install the non-Reforged W3 is by downloading from this thread (remember to put your CD-keys though). Once you have the Warcraft III (non-Reforged), do NOT use the Launcher or hit "Battle.net" button. PLay the game from "Warcraft III.exe".

Level 2
You mean installing the Warcraft III and letting it auto-update? As you can tell, all of the Warcraft III downloads from Blizzard will automatically install Reforged (1.32.10), which screws up everything. The only thing you can install the non-Reforged W3 is by downloading from this thread (remember to put your CD-keys though). Once you have the Warcraft III (non-Reforged), do NOT use the Launcher or hit "Battle.net" button. PLay the game from "Warcraft III.exe".
I cant put the cdkey, it redirect me to ''battle.net'' and I cant find the dl button in this thread of 1.31

Attachments

• image_2022-08-14_230402868.png
    image_2022-08-14_230402868.png
    25.8 KB · Views: 65
Level 2
i downloaded the latest version... but how do I put my saved game to the game?
1660492014828.png

Level 28
I cant put the cdkey, it redirect me to ''battle.net'' and I cant find the dl button in this thread of 1.31
Next time, please don't ask the questions that aren't relating to this campaign here. There's a supposed sub-forum known as "Warcraft Discussion".
If you want to get rid of the CD-Keys window, which might led to Reforged, you can download the cd keys file instead from this thread:
patch problems - ENT Gaming
FIXED IT

Here is how i did it (try to run Warcraft III.exe in admin each time you finish a step, maybe you dont need to do everything)

1- Open task manager to make sure no warcraft 3 or battle net client process is running in the background.

2- Go to the following path:

C:\ProgramData\Blizzard Entertainment\Warcraft III
or
%programdata%\Blizzard Entertainment\Warcraft III

Download cd keys.rar and extract them there.

3- Open Regedit and make sure the following entries exist:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Blizzard Entertainment\Classic Launcher\w3
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Blizzard Entertainment\Warcraft III

Even if they do exist, download Regedit Entries.rar and extract it anywhere you want, then run both files and click ok/yes if there is a warning then follow the screenshot and edit the entries accordingly.

4- Delete battle net & blizzard related folders in %appdata%, %programdata%, %localappdata%, %temp%

5-Run warcraft III.exe in admin. (never run Warcraft III Launcher.exe as it will update your game to an unplayable version)

I think step 2 and 3 are the ones that did it for my friend!
The Step 2 is important. This is the place where the WC3 CD-Keys can be stored.
Although that thread is supposed for playing 1.30.1 using WC3Connect, this trick still applies to the other versions of WC3 (especially 1.31). Just to be sure, ONLY "roc.w3k" file is used if you want to install the 1.31.
For the second question, you might need to click on "Game Files" section. There should be a download link for 1.31.
If you get other problems, you should ask the question through this thread.
i downloaded the latest version... but how do I put my saved game to the game?View attachment 405171
Take a look at the attachment below. This is the place where you can put the save file for WC3.

Attachments

• wc3 save game locations.jpg
    wc3 save game locations.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 60
Level 19
I had to launch v1.30(.4) today and it asked for the game key... I have described in detail how to give the game keys it's asking for without launching BNET and without any tools: Patch 1.31.1 Backup Files (previous page, at the end of my post). Once you give it the keys (I provided both roc.w3k and tft.w3k) it will launch by double clicking "Warcraft III.exe"

How did I find out? Use Process Monitor by Sysinternals.
If the game freezes at startup (white background) then just wait a couple minutes. It is scanning the map folders. It picked up both local Maps/ folder and the new Maps/ in Documents.

@BogdanW3 I said "1.27++" and not "1.27+" :D In my head I mean "later than 1.27" but I know I should've made it clearer.
I tested 1.30.1 from the archive thread, 1.12GB. I found that 1.31.x has a hidden startup parameter "-nocasc" and tested it (no success). I will add details to my post above to keep it all in one place.
Got V1.31.1 working with extracted casc data and afterwards removed casc data from the game directory.
Need to combine -nocasc with -datadir.

This is how I run the 64 bit version:
"F:\Spiele\Warcraft III\V1.31 - Kopie\x86_64\Warcraft III.exe" -nocasc -datadir "C:\Users\xxxx\Desktop\Data V1.31" -loadfile

Edit: when one places the extracted data inside a folder in the parent folder of the exe one can just give the folder name
"F:\Spiele\Warcraft III\V1.31 - NoCasc\x86_64\Warcraft III.exe" -nocasc -datadir GameData -loadfile

edit: the game just does not find the built in melee/campaign maps
Edit Edit: when one places the included campaign/melee maps in the same folder as the exe the game finds & starts them
edit: And the total Size increased by ~500 mb
edit: test map in the editor does not work :(

Last edited:
Level 17
Got V1.31.1 working with extracted casc data and afterwards removed casc data from the game directory.
Need to combine -nocasc with -datadir.

This is how I run the 64 bit version:
"F:\Spiele\Warcraft III\V1.31 - Kopie\x86_64\Warcraft III.exe" -nocasc -datadir "C:\Users\xxxx\Desktop\Data V1.31" -loadfile

Edit: when one places the extracted data inside a folder in the parent folder of the exe one can just give the folder name
"F:\Spiele\Warcraft III\V1.31 - NoCasc\x86_64\Warcraft III.exe" -nocasc -datadir GameData -loadfile

edit: the game just does not find the built in melee/campaign maps
Edit Edit: when one places the included campaign/melee maps in the same folder as the exe the game finds & starts them
edit: And the total Size increased by ~500 mb
edit: test map in the editor does not work :(
Not using casc has larger issues than that: you lose access to all casc subroots (more or less), as local files aren't scanned the same way: all locales stuff - broken, all tileset data - not loadable in the correct fashion.
As for the size increase, of course not compressing will make it larger.
This is why I only ever released a no-CASC version for 1.32, because people only needed the bare minimum of the WE working for that to be useful, and I could remove all the HD assets from that distribution.
Also note that -nocasc seems to not be required, just delete all the CASC Data\data\data.*** files and you're fine

Not using casc has larger issues than that: you lose access to all casc subroots (more or less), as local files aren't scanned the same way: all locales stuff - broken, all tileset data - not loadable in the correct fashion.
Thats a missunderstanding as I did not describe it enough. -datadir is not local files. it makes the game take the base data from the place you choose.
-nocasc allows it to be in not casc format => normal Files. Hence the big deal is to use both together.

Local files work additional to -datadir.

Level 17
@Tasyen does it work if you omit -nocasc with everything else in place? With what Bogdan said, it might've been used for something else or implicitly enabled now.
I'm actually surprised 1.32 doesn't crash for Bogdan after removing the files.
What I made is basically just using local files by default, but since DataDir seems to be better now than my tests on 1.29 showed, it could be a way to fully play as well - which is more than I expected

Level 2
hi guys a bit of help in this m running the 1.30.4 version of classic, the resolution say 1920x1080 in full screen but m getting black sides borders in menu and in gameplay it is kind of elongated how do i fix this

Attachments

• image_2022-11-11_195345460.png
    image_2022-11-11_195345460.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 92
  • image_2022-11-11_195418806.png
    image_2022-11-11_195418806.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 89
  • image_2022-11-11_195433743.png
    image_2022-11-11_195433743.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 77
  • image_2022-11-11_195656923.png
    image_2022-11-11_195656923.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 92

Deleted member 247165

D

Deleted member 247165

hi guys a bit of help in this m running the 1.30.4 version of classic, the resolution say 1920x1080 in full screen but m getting black sides borders in menu and in gameplay it is kind of elongated how do i fix this
What Tommi said is true. Besides, does it really bother you ? I mean it's only the menu not the interface during gameplay.

Level 28
As Tommi suggested, you can't actually remove the black side borders in menu. The game has been reformatted to support the Widescreen (16:3), but the Classic menu only supports the 4:3.
If you're referring to Extended UI, which is a pair of unused bars on top and bottom of the gameplay screen, please check out the following thread:
Also, you posted this question in wrong section since you are using 1.30.4. This is only meant for problems relating to 1.31.1. If you want to talk about other versions of Warcraft III, please visit this thread.

Level 2
hi thanks for guide ,
but im having a toubles , i had downloaded and open the game successfully ,
but it cant appear downloaded campaigns after create new folder .
I really wanna have some good time with nice Campaigns LOL

Level 28
hi thanks for guide ,
but im having a toubles , i had downloaded and open the game successfully ,
but it cant appear downloaded campaigns after create new folder .
I really wanna have some good time with nice Campaigns LOL
You need to place the w3n files inside "Documents\Warcraft III\Campaigns". If you don't have that folder, create it yourself.

Level 2
You need to place the w3n files inside "Documents\Warcraft III\Campaigns". If you don't have that folder, create it yourself.
Hi bro ,
Actually the file is created by myself and placed those downloaded campaigns inside .

But still not seems inside custom campaigns , or there is any specific step to create the folder

Thanks for feedback !

Attachments

• warcraft 2.PNG
    warcraft 2.PNG
    66 KB · Views: 43
  • warcraft 1.PNG
    warcraft 1.PNG
    76.9 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Level 20
Actually the file is created by myself and placed those downloaded campaigns inside .
Based on the screenshots, you created the "Campaigns" folder in the game directory, which is incorrect.

I strongly recommend reading the FAQ at the end of the original post, it contains helpful tips on solving common issues. Such as this one:

4. Maps/campaigns aren't visible in game:

-> If maps or campaigns that you are using were saved in 1.32 (Reforged), they won't work.
-> Make sure that your maps and campaigns are located in appropriate folders. If the folders don't exist, create them yourself, watching out for typos.

Folder paths and names are as follows - these are case sensitive, i.e. the folders must be named exactly as below, including which letters are big/small:

Campaigns: C:\Users\<UserName>\Documents\Warcraft III\Campaigns
Maps: C:\Users\<UserName>\Documents\Warcraft III\Maps

-> If you still cannot see a map or a campaign in game and neither of the above doesn't help, there's sadly no known solutions to that problem. Feel free to either post the map file in the thread or send it to me directly via a PM. I'm not promising that I will find a solution, but I can at least try.

Last edited:
Level 2
Based on the screenshots, you created the "Campaigns" folder in the game directory, which is incorrect.

I strongly recommend reading the FAQ at the end of the original post, it contains helpful tips on solving common issues. Such as this one:
Good day Bruh ,

Thanks ! it was my mistake to not review the FAQ , now its done~ thanks again

And emm , can i have a last question again , where do i download the language pack for many different langguage yea xD

Level 28
Good day Bruh ,

Thanks ! it was my mistake to not review the FAQ , now its done~ thanks again

And emm , can i have a last question again , where do i download the language pack for many different langguage yea xD

Also, after installing the game with your own language:
Why do I have a black screen at startup? (relevant for versions 1.30.0.9900-1.32)
The client’s language and the language in the registry do not match, you need to change the language in the registry to the one in the client.
(w3 - Retail, w3t - Test PTR, w3b - Beta)
(enUS ruRU deDE esES frFR itIT koKR plPL zhCN zhTW - ROC TFT)
(enUS ruRU deDE esES frFR itIT koKR plPL zhCN zhTW enGB esMX jaJP ptBR thTH - Reforged)
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Blizzard Entertainment\Classic Launcher\w3] "Locale"="enUS"
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Blizzard Entertainment\Classic Launcher\w3t] "Locale"="enUS"
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Blizzard Entertainment\Classic Launcher\w3b] "Locale"="enUS"
You must do that instructions above or else you'll get the black screen during the startup. Change "enUS" to your choice (if the language is Germany, set it to "deDE").

Level 1
Unfortunately changing the language doesn't work for me even after changing the registry entries. Only enUS seems to work. I tested deDE and frFR and with both I only get a black screen.
I also downloaded all the 1.31.1 versions with blizzget but starting these crashes the game with a file corruption error. I redownloaded multiple times.

Someone has a working 1.31.1 deDE version?

Level 28
Unfortunately changing the language doesn't work for me even after changing the registry entries. Only enUS seems to work. I tested deDE and frFR and with both I only get a black screen.
I also downloaded all the 1.31.1 versions with blizzget but starting these crashes the game with a file corruption error. I redownloaded multiple times.

Someone has a working 1.31.1 deDE version?
For the first problem, it's really strange because other persons had already tested this trick and the game is working. Maybe because your download is different than this one from Hive Workshop. Try re-download the whole game from this thread, then read my post above for changing the languages.
To be clear, Reforged has 5 additional languages (enGB, esMX, jaJP, ptBR, thTH) compared to the Classic (ROC + TFT combo), which only have 10.

For the Blizzget thing, I really don't suggest this because there is a bug where the app will crash after the download has been started. Sometimes, the app keeps crashing during the download process. It's really frustrating because the only solution is to delete the unfinished download and the "cache" folders, which means you'll have to start it all the way again. In addition, the download time is tremendously slow, even if you have a fast internet connection (LAN).

To be clear, the download from this thread is only for English language. There's really NO official downloads for 1.29-1.31 on the language other than English since Blizzard killed those options in favour of 1.35 (Reforged).

Level 28
Can I still play in german when I download this?
Check the post above. There were many comments about how to play on other languages, which involves modifying the registry files. This will also solve the black screen bug when you start the game. Be mindful that you can only edit an intended part because it might cause a severe issues with your computer if you had a small mishap with your registries.
I really don't suggest using Blizzget to download the client. It's too buggy because you might get a random crash during the download process.

Level 2
I've downloaded this quite some time ago and it seemed to work just fine in English, but when I changed the language to Polish (whether via Polish language fix files from a .zip pack or manually via RegEdit), ALL item tooltips were missing, including names before you pick them up (which is a big problem for tomes and the like). Sometimes they're just empty, sometimes they display "Tool tip missing!" (which may or may not be displaced from the textbox). And from the little I've played, the orc announcer stutters (in Polish - the sounds are fine in English) when he says "Need more lumber" ("Need more- Need more-"). I assume this is due to missing files for the localization that can't be fixed by a simple registry key edit. Still, does anyone have an idea how to fix this? I even scoured this thread for a similar issue (not necessarily for my language even), but I found nothing. :sad: I think it might've not been an issue at first, before I started messsing with the registry keys, but I'm honestly not sure. I might be misremembering.

Oh, and I haven't experienced any "black screens" or the like.

EDIT: It turns out this might be a RoC-exclusive issue. I tried a 1v1 against AI in TFT and the tooltips display without any issues.

Attachments

• Zrzut ekranu (2713).png
    Zrzut ekranu (2713).png
    3.5 MB · Views: 50
  • Zrzut ekranu (2714).png
    Zrzut ekranu (2714).png
    3.6 MB · Views: 46
  • Zrzut ekranu (2715).png
    Zrzut ekranu (2715).png
    3.6 MB · Views: 47
Last edited:

Nyctaeus

Hosted Project: W3E
Level 18
Technically WC3 includes all available localizations within it's mpq/casc files, so no matter which version you have, all the required files are already in the game files. For some reason things sometimes go nuts when one tries to change the language post-installation. I experienced empty menu buttons and stuff like that when I changed language post-installation. The game seems to be detecting language of your OS and sets default language of the game based on this. This looks like the game fails to load polish strings properly, because when you change game language, some data somewhere is not... Being updated?

I do have english version on my laptop, and polish on my PC. Everything works fine if your system language is polish, so perhaps a way to avoid such issues is switching OS language to desired game language before installation.

Level 1
I've downloaded this quite some time ago and it seemed to work just fine in English, but when I changed the language to Polish (whether via Polish language fix files from a .zip pack or manually via RegEdit), ALL item tooltips were missing, including names before you pick them up (which is a big problem for tomes and the like). Sometimes they're just empty, sometimes they display "Tool tip missing!" (which may or may not be displaced from the textbox). And from the little I've played, the orc announcer stutters (in Polish - the sounds are fine in English) when he says "Need more lumber" ("Need more- Need more-"). I assume this is due to missing files for the localization that can't be fixed by a simple registry key edit. Still, does anyone have an idea how to fix this? I even scoured this thread for a similar issue (not necessarily for my language even), but I found nothing. :sad: I think it might've not been an issue at first, before I started messsing with the registry keys, but I'm honestly not sure. I might be misremembering.

Oh, and I haven't experienced any "black screens" or the like.

EDIT: It turns out this might be a RoC-exclusive issue. I tried a 1v1 against AI in TFT and the tooltips display without any issues.
Hey, did you manage to fix it? I'm having exactly the same issue (also with polish version). I think it has something to do with registry keys, because I managed to replicate this bug even with clean 1.27b polish files (downloaded from this hive post). Now I reinstalled windows, and 1.27b polish version works fine, but I can't get over not having windowed fullscreen mode (and the expansion switch menu is also nice). I tried everything, but i cant get 1.31.1 to fully work in polish. Sadly I lost somewhere my original disks:cry:

Last edited:
Level 6
Just started playing the like...8th or 9th non-interlude chapter of the Exodus: Violet Gate campaign and the first few minutes or so were fine as usual, but then I suddenly had the game start stuttering pretty much the exact same way as shown in the bellow vid (credit to @Yours Truly for the thing and for starting the lag spikes thread I pilfered the vid from). First time it's happening since I started playing the campaign besides some stutters in select cinematics

I tried downloading and running the Language fix registry file and then did the -graphicsapi Direct3D9 thing too to a shortcut of the game version. None really dealt with the issue in any noticeable way. Restarting didn't really do anything either

Any chance someone can tell me what I can do to potentially fix the issue? Finishing the map with the stuttering going on is whatever, but I'd rather hopefully get an actual fix in case this stuttering thing starts happening in any of the following maps of the campaign. Or in one of the other campaigns that can only be played on this patch only

EDIT: It got fixed all of a sudden some time into me playing the map. Only reason why that coulda happened was due to the stuff I'd killed and razed, if that helps any

EDIT2: It's back again relatively shortly afterwards. This is making me think it might have something to do with there being too many units at one time, but I'm not sure that can really be it. I have not faced this issue while playing Arkain maps and I'm certain a lot of those have more units alive and operating at a time on average

EDIT3: Definitely got fixed later on after I'd razed and killed some more stuff, so it seems to be something to do with having too much troops alive and operating at a time, no clue why it happened in this particular map

Last edited:
Level 28
Just started playing the like...8th or 9th non-interlude chapter of the Exodus: Violet Gate campaign and the first few minutes or so were fine as usual, but then I suddenly had the game start stuttering pretty much the exact same way as shown in the bellow vid (credit to @Yours Truly for the thing and for starting the lag spikes thread I pilfered the vid from). First time it's happening since I started playing the campaign besides some stutters in select cinematics

I tried downloading and running the Language fix registry file and then did the -graphicsapi Direct3D9 thing too to a shortcut of the game version. None really dealt with the issue in any noticeable way. Restarting didn't really do anything either

Any chance someone can tell me what I can do to potentially fix the issue? Finishing the map with the stuttering going on is whatever, but I'd rather hopefully get an actual fix in case this stuttering thing starts happening in any of the following maps of the campaign. Or in one of the other campaigns that can only be played on this patch only
Not really a game version issue directly, nor even the campaign itself (Violet Gate only supports 1.31.1). It's more likely due to the weak system.

Warcraft III's system requirements has been changed when it gets a newer updates. If I remember correctly, recent versions of Warcraft III, in general, is dependant on your system due to the introduction of CASC, which uses a lot of memory usage. If you have a weak system (let's says a 4 GB of RAM with only Dual Core CPU and 2 GB of Video RAM), but you are playing on max out settings, then there's a high chance you will get a countless lags/spikes AND possibly, constant game crashing. Reforged updates get even worse: At least 16 GB of RAM and 4 GB of Video RAM is required if you want to play the game on max out settings because the game (and even the system) might crash more often.

I'm not sure if the "-graphicsapi Direct3D9" method still works, since Blizzard removed this kind of option on Reforged. Even the recent updates are only intended for Windows 10/11. In addition, some suggests you need to launch the game using "-windowmode fullscreen" parameter or by using the Video Settings in-game to enable Native Fullscreen Mode.

Level 6
Not really a game version issue directly, nor even the campaign itself (Violet Gate only supports 1.31.1). It's more likely due to the weak system.

Warcraft III's system requirements has been changed when it gets a newer updates. If I remember correctly, recent versions of Warcraft III, in general, is dependant on your system due to the introduction of CASC, which uses a lot of memory usage. If you have a weak system (let's says a 4 GB of RAM with only Dual Core CPU and 2 GB of Video RAM), but you are playing on max out settings, then there's a high chance you will get a countless lags/spikes AND possibly, constant game crashing. Reforged updates get even worse: At least 16 GB of RAM and 4 GB of Video RAM is required if you want to play the game on max out settings because the game (and even the system) might crash more often.

I'm not sure if the "-graphicsapi Direct3D9" method still works, since Blizzard removed this kind of option on Reforged. Even the recent updates are only intended for Windows 10/11. In addition, some suggests you need to launch the game using "-windowmode fullscreen" parameter or by using the Video Settings in-game to enable Native Fullscreen Mode.
Dunno bro, my system should be strong enough to deal with Reforged's bloat, though, I'll admit I haven't played Arkain maps on it, which are gonna be the thing that really tests that. I've looked at the system specs again to be sure and I've got 16GB RAM to use (there's a small add-on right next to that value that says 15.7GB is useable, though. You can't be telling me that 0.3GB not useable RAM is the issue here), Intel i9 and a bit more than 8GB VRAM and I'm using Windows 10

Tried the -graphicsapi thing, no dice. Haven't tried the other thing you're suggesting, though - that might fix it

Last edited:
Level 28
For some reason, it seems that Google drive has deleted cleaned-up filesView attachment 469060
1.31.1 DOWNLOAD.jpg

You can always use an alternative download link if the other is not working, just like the thread above.

Level 1
View attachment 469077
You can always use an alternative download link if the other is not working, just like the thread above.
Thank you for this