• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Overhaul Concept: The Invasion of Quel'thalas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
The invasion of Quel'thalas is one of my favourite parts of Warcraft lore and of the Warcraft 3 campaign, which means I'm quite invested in the possibilities than this overhaul gives us. This will take me some time to do, so please treat it as a work-in-progress (which is good as we're a long way away from this campaign!). I will separate each section by the map/section:

Chapter 3: Into the Realm Eternal - Update

Not a huge deal would need to be changed to make this mission feel a bit newer or "better", but here are some ideas:

Optional Quest - Runestones

We know that Runestones were erected by the elves as a means of hiding their use of arcane magic from the Burning Legion, and also as part of their defence grid. In the Warcraft 3 Manual (PDF, I believe) there is a map which shows a number of the remaining runestones in the lands outside of the Outer Elfgate, which is where this mission is sent. Although it would work nicely to give it the anti-undead aura from the Dalaran mission, I think it would be more interesting if the Runestones power up the elves with different attributes over a large area of the map. The player would receive a sidequest to topple these runestones, cutting the elves off from those buffs and giving you more hope of defeating them.

Chapter 4: Key of the Three Moons - Overhaul

This is the first map which I suggest giving an extensive overhaul, not just in terms of gameplay & quests, but with edited dialogue and a new cutscene. This portion of the invasion differs significantly from what we see in other sources, and I believe with some changes the two can line up, and set the stage for additional elements in the following two maps.

Prelude

The only change here is to remove the line "The inner gate to Silvermoon can only be opened with a special key, and it shall never be yours!" from Sylvanas Windrunner. Unless she was exceptionally naive, she wouldn't give Arthas a clue how to open the inner gates as it strips her of her advantage. Although this line serves as a quest giving line, it won't be needed in light of other changes in this mission.

The rest of the cutscene would continue as per normal, but instead of granting the quest Three Moons, it would grant a new one that ties into bridging a river.

Main Quest - Bridging the River

In the current mission you hire Goblin Zeppelins to get across the river, but all subsequent lore for the invasion shows that Arthas creates a bridge out of ghouls that ends up poisoning Elrendar River. I recommend making a new quest which forces the player to focus on constructing your base and protecting it from aerial assault while you create ghouls to sacrifice to make a crossing. These ghouls could merely be trained at a Crypt, or they could be gained some other way such as culling nearby creeps and using the corpses for the bridge.

Dar'khan Drathir

In the lore, Arthas is approached by a traitor wizard known as Dar'khan Drathir who alerts him to the defences of Quel'thalas and how to break them, while also pledging fealty to the prince. This is because he intends to betray Arthas to take control of the Sunwell for himself. When the ghoul bridge is built, we can add a short cutscene where Dar'khan is waiting at the other side for Prince Arthas. Dar'khan can then be to explain how to breach the defences of Quel'thalas, thereby granting the Three Moons quest.

Dialogue may seem difficult to do, but Arthas does not need to say much and his unit quotes probably provide enough dialogue to re-use. Dar'khan would definitely require new dialogue, but I believe the introduction of this scene would go a long way to get the mod to match the official storyline while granting the main mission in a more immersive, interesting manner.

It should be noted that this conversation would only need to be short and there are a number of sources that could be used for inspiration for these new lines of dialogue. For example, Arthas' & Kel'thuzads' existing dialogue could be used as shown in the following template:

[ARTHAS walks halfway across the ghoul bridge with ghost KEL'THUZAD at his side when DAR'KHAN teleports into place at the end of the bridge]

DAR'KHAN: Blessed Prince Arthas.
ARTHAS: What is it now? (Arthas "what" quote)
DAR'KHAN: The inner gate of Quel'thalas is sealed with the Sunwells magic. As powerful as you and your... minions are, you will not to breach the barrier. You will not even harm it.
ARTHAS: I'll take what I came for one way or another. (Digging up the dead)

[ARTHAS walks closer to DAR'KHAN, looking as if he may cut down the traitor wizard where he stands]

DAR'KHAN: No doubt. The gate can only be opened with a special key. It shall never be yours... not without my help.

[ARTHAS comes to a halt]

ARTHAS: Then what must be done? (Digging up the Dead)
DAR'KHAN: Hidden in these woods are three mooncrystals of extraordinary power - the Eye of Jennala, the Stone of Hannalee and the Body of Enulaia.

[The camera shows each mooncrystal in turn as DAR'KHAN mentions them]

DAR'KHAN: Bind these together and they will grant you passage into the Inner Kingdom.
KEL'THUZAD: Hmm, that sounds logical. (Kel'thuzad "yes" quote)
DAR'KHAN: I live to serve, blessed prince. When the barrier falls, I shall do what I can from within.

[DAR'KHAN teleports away]

ARTHAS: These elves are pathetic. (The Return to Northrend)
ARTHAS: All right. Let's go. (The Return to Northrend)

Main Quest - Key of Three Moons

With the quest granted by Dar'khan, Arthas now needs to find An'daroth, An'owyn and An'telas - the homes of the three mooncrystals that make up the key. The map could be altered to more closely resemble Quel'thalas from WoW, but I think it's better to do a new interpretation of the region that better suits the gameplay.

Chapter 5 - Part One: The Fall of Silvermoon - Update

The core concept of this is to split the map into two maps (similar to how Chapter 7 of the TFT Undead campaign is split into three). The idea is for this mission to effectively be the same as it is now, but with areas of the map and mission removed. The focus here will be the destruction of Silvermoon City, while the next will be to resurrect Kel'thuzad in the Sunwell and to eliminate the last of the elven resistance.

Removed Content

Though much of the mission functions as it did before, there is the need to remove some content as that will be found in the new mission. This includes everything from Arthas casting the Path of Frost, to the Sunwell Island. Effectively, we're stripping the passage of the undead to the island out of this mission and moving it into the next. This also means removing the main quest called The Sunwell, as this will be featured in the new mission.

Main Quests

The optional Sylvanas Windrunner quest gets promoted to be the first main quest, with a new main quest gained either after this one is completed or if the optional quest Silvermoon Runners fails. This new quest merely involves cutting your way through Silvermoon in much the same way as the original mission does.

Banshees

In the original mission you would gain access to the Banshee's once the Elven Ranger Corp base was destroyed. This requirement still exists, but we now see them being raised as part of a mini-cutscene (or included as part of the Sylvanas death cutscene).

The Defence of Silvermoon City

The defence of the gates is led by Archmage Belo'vir Salonar, with King Anasterian and Thalorien Dawnseeker involved in the defence of other regions of the city. Before each one can be killed, they are teleported away by the Archmage.

New End Cutscene

After Prince Arthas defeats the garrison, a cutscene is shown using new dialogue from the elves. It shows their citizens dying to the Scourge or attempting to escape the city - some are scrambling for boats, others are teleporting away. It is clear that the Scourge have taken Silvermoon.

Chapter 5 - Part Two: The Defilement of the Sunwell - New

The Defilement of the Sunwell is a new map designed to show the chaotic escape attempt by the High Elven refugees, and the last stand of their military forces on Sunwell Island. The idea behind this is to make a bigger deal out of Arthas freezing the ocean and to devote a mission to resurrecting Kel'thuzad rather than lumping it in with the fall of Silvermoon.

Prelude

Cinematics are not by strong point, but the concept here is that we set up the final stage of the invasion of Quel'thalas:

[We start with DAR'KHAN, the elven traitor, teleporting into the Sunwell Plateau, killing wardens of the Sunwell before he starts channelling over the Sunwell, gorging on its power for his own ends]

[Next we see the elven resistance gathering on Sunwell Island, among them ARCHMAGE BELO'VIR, KING ANASTERIAN SUNSTRIDER and THALORIEN DAWNSEEKER]

[We then cut back to Arthas as he walks to the shoreline, staring out to sea. He is flanked by SYLVANAS as a banshee and by the ghost KEL'THUZAD. In the distance you can see elven ships fleeing with civilians on board. ARTHAS begins to channel, ice gathers around him and a little appears on the water]

ARTHAS: Citizens of Silvermoon! I have given you ample opportunities to surrender, but you have stubbornly refused! Know that today, your entire race and your ancient heritage will end! Death itself has come to claim the high home of the elves! (The Fall of Silvermoon)

[The cutscene ends and returns to player control, but Arthas cannot be controlled, we control SYLVANAS instead]

Whether there would be any other dialogue is not my concern right now, but if there was, it'd make sense to use it to set up what Dar'khan is doing or to give an insight into what the elves are doing on Sunwell Island.

The Map

The general concept for this is to have the Sunwell Island on one side of the map, the northern limits of Silvermoon on the other, and the ocean in between. At some point during the mission, Arthas conjures a path of frost across the water, so lined along this route should be defenses for the High Elves. The size of Sunwell Island and the ruins of Silvermoon is dictated upon what kind of combat mission this is, and whether or not base-building is required.

Main Quest - Path of Frost

This would mark the first and only time in the Path of the Damned campaign where you do not control Arthas, you control the Banshee Sylvanas. The goal is to kill as many refugees and soldiers as you possibly can with the forces you have available. With every slain refugee Arthas gets closer to completing the spell that will freeze the ocean and allow his forces passage to the Sunwell. You can hunt these refugees down by either taking out transport ships using gargoyles or by attacking teleportation points/Waygates in the city and culling them there.

A possibility to consider is that any high elven warriors escaping through Waygate/teleportation bolster the defences on Sunwell Island. If there is no base-building in this mission, then allied forces can be found in the ruins or by raising corpses strewn about the place. Elven troops led by Archmage Belo'vir will sometimes teleport near to Arthas to try and stop him.

This is the first of two Main Quests.

When complete, a cutscene shows Arthas completing his spell and casting the Path of Frost on the ocean, freezing it and providing a physical bridge between the ruins of Silvermoon and Sunwell Island. This could function much the same as in The Fall of Silvermoon, but perhaps be a little more grand.

Main Quest - The Sunwell

The very same quest from the original The Fall of Silvermoon, which pretty much just requires Arthas to defeat the High Elves and reach the Sunwell. Now how this plays out depends upon what kind of map is required. I'm going to run with the idea that this isn't a base-building mission.

The player regains control of Arthas and is still in control of Sylvanas and whatever remaining forces she amassed. In my concept for this, I imagine that the vast majority of the Scourge forces are not controlled by the player. In effect, this turns the mission into a single-lane DOTA which ends with a series of boss fights. The Scourge are rushing across the Path of Frost, but are being attacked by ships/island defenses along the route, as well as a small tide of high elven forces rushing to meet them. These forces continue to spawn for the rest of the battle.

Once the player reaches the shore of Sunwell Island, you encounter the first "boss" fight against Thalorien Dawnseeker. This is followed by a second against Archmage Belo'vir and then finally Anasterian Sunstrider at the entrance to Sunwell Plateau, flanked by four Sunwell Guardians. When the player defeats each boss, the composition of spawned enemy forces grows weaker, which helps to balance each boss so that the player is not overwhelmed.

Each boss would be accompanied by appropriate dialogue from the bosses, with a reused line where appropriate from Arthas or Sylvanas.

Outro

This outro marks the end of the High Elven people as a power, instead leaving them as a broken people, most of whom then choose to become Blood Elves. It also shows the rebirth of Kel'thuzad, and because we introduced Dar'khan and his treachery, a pay-off for his mini-storyline.

[ARTHAS and KEL'THUZADs ghost enter the Sunwell Plateau, walking past the corpses of many of the High Elves greatest wizards, each slain at DAR'KHANs hand. At its heart they can see Dar'khan feasting on the boundless power of the Sunwell]

KEL'THUZAD: Ah... isn't this ironic? (The Cult of the Damned)
ARTHAS: You don't even deserve an honorable death. (A Symphony of Frost and Flame)

[ARTHAS casts Death Coil from behind DAR'KHAN, killing him outright]

KEL'THUZAD: Naive fool. (The Cult of the Damned)

[Sparing little thought for DAR'KHAN, ARTHAS casts KEL'THUZADs urn into the Sunwell]

ARTHAS: Now, arise, Kel'Thuzad, and serve the Lich King once again! (The Fall of Silvermoon)

[The ghost of KEL'THUZAD enters the well, tainting it and causing him to be reborn as a lich]

KEL'THUZAD: I am reborn, as promised! The Lich King has granted me eternal life! (The Fall of Silvermoon)
ARTHAS: I've upheld my end of the bargain, lich. Are you ready to tell me about the dreadlords now? (The Fall of Silvermoon)
KEL'THUZAD: Certainly. But not here. They have eyes and ears everywhere. We'll talk where it's safe. (The Fall of Silvermoon)

And with that, the Quel'thalas portion of the game comes to an end.

High Elf Roster - Overhaul

The idea here is to craft a roster that feels similar to what the Human faction has with some minor alterations to give it flavour and make it feel as if you're fighting against a powerful elven military.

Heroes:
Sylvanas Windrunner, Ranger-General of Silvermoon - Scout, Cold Arrows, Trueshot Aura (Passive), Starfall (Ultimate)
Archmage Belo'vir Salonar - Blizzard, Slow (Autocast), Brilliance Aura (Passive), Summon Water Elemental (Ultimate)
Thalorien Dawnseeker - [], [], Critical Strike (Passive), Bladestorm (Ultimate)
King Anasterian Sunstrider - Flamestrike, Mana Shield, Cleaving Attack (Passive), [] (Ultimate)

Units:
Engineer [worker] - Build, Repair, Harvest (Gold & Lumber)
Swordsman [light melee] - Defend
Archer [light range] -
Ranger [heavy range] - Hide/Shadowmeld
Mage-Priests [caster] - Heal (autocast), Dispel Magic, Inner Fire (autocast)
Sorceress [caster] - Slow (autocast), Invisibility, Polymorph
Ballista [siege] -
Dragonhawk Riders [flying] - Cloud, Aerial Shackles
Arcane Guardians [heavy melee/support caster] - Spell Steal (autocast), Spell Immunity, Feedback

I will complete these as soon as I can

Last edited:
I was following the lore here Scourge invasion of Quel'Thalas for much of the details. This is why you now see forces labeled as Farstriders in those missions.
  • Dar'Khan Drathir was going to have a larger role, and the quest to get the keys would reflect that. You would still need to siege into Elven bases. He would unlock easier routes, provide free mercenary forces, and generally be a jerk.
    • Eventually Arthas kills him and you would have him under your control as a special non-hero stealth unit for the remainder of the Undead campaign
  • The siege itself would three sections (exterior of city, interior left and right, and the Sunwell
    • The exterior of the city would be a winding linear path with several alternate routes. Instead of the annoying blue base in the corner all your focus would be on advancing, destroying pockets of resistance
    • As in the released mission, alerting the city prematurely means Farstrider attacks on your base and advancing forces
    • After killing Sylvanas the city would be more active, barricading intersections in the eastern side, with more routes being closed as time passed
      • This rewards the player for speed
    • The player would need to navigate the more heavily reinforced left side, causing great destruction
    • Two boss fights, one at the palace and one on the island
      • The island consists of city survivors, students from Falthrien Academy, and those four Golems from the legacy mission
  • The Dead Scar advances with you, destroying treelines, gates, and buildings creating a straight path from your base into the city
  • As you progress through the mission the bright sunny disposition of the environment would slowly change to reflect the burning buildings and death, with Sunstrider Isle being dark save moments of light from defenders
  • Banshee Sylvanas would continue with you for the remainder of the Undead campaign
  • I did get the Trolls in there as prisoners, but the intent was to have more of them coming to aid Arthas as they share a common foe

Level 5
I just wanted to mention that Belo'vir's title is Grand Magister, not Archmage. Also, it would be interesting to include High Priest Vandellor, the high elven high priest before Liadrin.

Maybe as an easter egg we could see Liadrin, Rommath, Halduron, Lor'themar and Lana'thel as units that do manage to flee in the first waves of ships?

Anyway, I think it would be great if Silvermoon had a layout more similar to WoW as well - in WC3 it doesn't look like a functioning city at all!

I also love the idea of including the Dead Scar. Maybe have it be a thing since the first Quel'Thalas mission?

I love the ideas presented here!

I forgot that this overhaul concept was already proposed and I developed another dialogue implementation that I think fits VERY well to cover Dar'Khan Drathir in a proper manner in these missions, but with different quotes and without have to discard any of the existing ones in the main cutscenes.
Also ALL the original quotes I used are not cut, so it should work really good for all language localizations.
(I have personally checked both english and italian and they make sense in both languages, even tought the different conjugations and pronouns of the two languages, something that is often put aside by english native speakers about other languages).

Also note that Dar'Khan Drathir should have a sassy personality, his loyalty to Arthas shown in the manga is only AFTER he gets killed and turned into a minion, but before that he just plots to get the Sunwell for himself, so calling out Arthas as "Blessed Prince Arthas" feels strange at this point unless said in a provoking way. Also in the Arthas novel (chapter nineteen) is clarified it's him to tell the locations of the Key of the Three Moons to Arthas.

Chapter 3: Into Realm Eternal - ideas

I suggest to use a similar layout seen in classic but turned 90° counterclockwise to fit geographically, since this zone should represent Greenwood Pass, a zone which due to scale issue is not represented at all in WoW being just a tiny border zone between Eastweald(Eastern Plaguelands) and Quel'thalas, but we're supposed to come from south-west and advance toward north-east.
The original loading screen image in the wc3 manual also showed five Runestones out of the first elfgate, so we can consider to have them as well, but In WoW there are just 3 runestones (1 destroyed, 1 active and 1 deactivated) but oddly they are all bordering the inner part of the Eversong Woods, and not in the area in which this mission is set. If they are going to be added (but it's not necessary) they could have a secondary quest, maybe involving to deactivate them to get some little bonus concerning magic, like having mana-fountain effects around it or weakining the enemy casters weaker.

It would also be nice if the elves actually ambushed our units like Kel'Thuzad's ghost warn off at the start of the mission, something like stepping to some areas with units and having rangers popping out of the woods/bushes and ensnaring our units. I would like to see Sylvanas act in this way with fellow farstriders.

The tileset, like all Quel'thalas missions, should be Lordaeron Summer, but maybe with some custom tiles to make Quel'thalas more unique and distinctive from the rest of Lordaeron. For the trees I would not go full Silvermoon trees here since we are in a bordering area, it would be worth trying to use mesh between Lordaeron and Silvermoon trees.

Note: regarding the dialogues, I would leave practically everything unchanged except one thing, I would opt to delete a Kel'thuzad line in this mission to insert it in the next mission. Specifically, the line "The energies of this place are strong. Kill the elves! Level their structures! This location is perfect for your base". This line should be reserved for the next mission, when the player passes the first elven portal and enters the real elven lands, specifically in the area where the player has to build his base, which is located in an area where there is the sacred tree Thas'alah, defended by a small elven outpost and the Scourge cut it down to build its base in the same area, which in WoW corresponds to Deatholme , the Scourge's HQ in Quel'thalas.

Map concept for 3° chapter (based on classic map turned 90°)

1641312233999.png

Chapter 4: Key of the Three Moons - Dialogue Implementation

During the opening cutscene Sylvanas tells Arthas he will never manage to get into Silvermoon because the elfgate is sealed by a special key, but she NEVER mentions that it's made out of three mooncrystals and that those crystals are hidden in various zones, so it should NOT be removed, because her informations aren't essentials, in the original playthrough the "3 moons" mission just pop out like we already got this intelligence, but actually we lack the source of this. It's just given by game itself, so here is Dar'Khan Drathir main role.

Initial cutscene ends (merged with Kel'Thuzad line scrapped from previous map and the coming of the crypt fiends)

"The key" - Main Quest acquired

Right after clearing the area where Thas'alah stands nearby the starting zone, there should be a triggerable spot, when Arthas approaches it starts another cutscene:

Arthas walks

Mysterious figure magically appears

U01Arthas01: What trickery is this?!
or L04Arthas25: Who the?

DKD: ...so you intend to conquer the Sunwell, very bold, Prince Arthas. Let me introduce myself, I am Dar'Khan Drathir and..(interrupt)

H05Arthas37: I have no time for this!

Arthas turns back

DKD: Wait, death knight! I know the way to get through the elfgate.

U01Arthas28: And what's that?!

DKD: The special key to get through the elfgate is composed of three mooncrystals.

U02Arthas18: Then what must be done?

DKD: Each of them is kept in shrines hidden in the woods. In the valley to the east stands An'owyn, on a hill to the northeast you will find An'telas and in the glade to the north An'daroth. Collect the three fragments from these places and you shall advance to Silvermoon.

KelThuzadYes1: Mmh... that sounds logical.

U02Arthas05: Very well then, let's move out!

DKD: Obviously in exchange for this intelligence, I intend to have my share when you reach the Sunwell.

L07AArthas09: We have no time for these games!

Dar'Khan disappears

"The key" - Completed
"Three Moons" - Main Quest acquired

When this quest is active if Arthas manage to get near the elfgate without the Key an aura arises around the elfgate not allowing him to proceed further.

(with 0 mooncrystals) L07CArthas31: I must find a way to cross this strange obstacle.
(with 1 or 2 mooncrystals) U04AArthas16: The crystal glows brightly, but there is no effect on the gate.

Dar'Khan appears again

DKD: Ahahaha I told you! My people are very shrewd and if you want to get through this elfgate you must first recover all three crystals, prince.

L04Arthas62: Alright, let's go!

For this mission it would be nice to add the Dead Scar gradually progressing from the main base to the elfgate each time a mooncrystal is collected or the corpse-bridge built. I dislike the original idea about purchasing goblin zeppelins since it makes no sense lorewise, I suggest otherwise two potential options I find far better and lore-friendly:

- Collecting X number of corpses and dispose them with meat wagons in a circle of power near the destroyed bridge to build a corpse-bridge. (model needed) This is the best solution lorewise and would also need some teleporters around. (like one teleport linking sanctum of the moon to the sanctum of the sun)

OR

- Being able to train a special unit just for this mission, the undead airbadges, instead of goblin zeppelins, but this would probably make the general mission far easier, I would prefer to give elves an air dominance over the player.

But remember: lorewise (as mentioned in the Arthas novel, page 154) this is what happened: "It had taken a while, but eventually they had crossed the river. As he pondered the solution, something had twinged at the back of his mind, a tingling sensation he couldn’t quite figure out. Annoyed, he dismissed the strange sensation and instructed several of his unfailingly loyal soldiers to create their own bridge—a bridge made of rotting flesh. Dozens of them waded into the river and simply lay there, forming layer upon layer of corpses, until there were enough of them that the meat wagons, catapults, and trebuchets could make their lurching way across. Some of the undead, of course, were no longer of use, their bodies too broken or torn to hold cohesion. These Arthas almost gently released from his control, granting them true death. Besides, their bodies would foul the purity of the river. It was an additional weapon"

Map concept for 4° chapter (based on central Ghostlands)

1658271828841.png

Chapter 5: The Fall of Silvermoon - Dialogue Implementation

after the initial Sylvanas attack on the main base

U05ANecromancer11: Lord Arthas, the elf woman will likely attempt to summon reinforcements.
DKD: To this end, they will first need to send messengers to Silvermoon, prince.
U05AArthas12: Then watch for her runners! None of them must get through!

"Silvermoon Runners" - Secondary Mission acquired

Dar'Khan Drathir death / transformation idea

If Dar'Khan is player controlled, but still living, this cutscene should happen at the very end of the mission, when the Sunwell is reached and guardians defeated, just before Arthas raise Kel'Thuzad, basically merging with the final cutscene, to lengthen it a bit and show Dar'khan's fate.

Otherwise, if Dar'Khan is not player controlled, then use this cutscene during gameplay to make him a controlled unit, possibly after the first elven runner is killed.

As pointed out by Kam it would be nice to have him as a demi-hero unit with stealthy skills to use in game to track down the elven runners.

DKD: I think you are forgetting something important, prince.
L07BArthas35: What?!
DKD: I demand a reward.
U03AArthas10: It will be a pleasure.

Arthas deathcoils Dar'Khan Drathir and turn him into undead

Lorewise: (Sylvanas novel, page 222 and 233) the living Dar'Khan dies killed by Arthas just after conquering the Sunwell, only to be resurrected as an undead (This is the main reason I would choose to make him a player controlled living demi-hero unit during the mission)
Page 222 extract: "The mage Dar’Khan Drathir, the one Sylvanas had never trusted, had delivered the slaughter to Arthas, the death of not just the people of the shining city, but the kingdom—the land—itself. It was with a lightening of her own agony that Sylvanas watched the traitor die, himself betrayed; Arthas, it would seem, did not wish to share any of the glory."
Page 233 extract: "She had learned that Arthas had raised Dar’Khan into undeath, after the prince himself, having achieved what he wanted by taking the Sunwell, had slain the traitor. Now the former magister governed the undead in a place Arthas named Deatholme, ruling from the Tower of the Damned"

Dialogue for Optional Quest idea
It would be cool if the Scourge during this chapter has a secondary mission involving to free some passages in the forest from elven barricades to get forest trolls attack elven settlements boosting the siege.

DKD: Forest trolls are ancestral enemies of this kingdom, we could use them to our advantage by clearing the passages.
U08Arthas11: Excellent, we will make good use of them!

"The enemy of my enemy" - Secondary Mission acquired

Dialogue for not listed quest idea
As pointed out by Kam, in the original reforged plot Dar'Khan Drathir was also meant to give access to some mercenary units. While I do not personally like and think it doesn't fit lorewise that the undead Scourge make use of mercenaries or purchase zeppelin from goblins, I believe it make sense if the Scourge manage to steal some siege weapons from the elves (or amani trolls nearby)

Approaching the area with the troops

DKD: Nearby is where the rangers keep their siege weapons, it has been since the end of the Second War that those ballistas have been collecting cobwebs.

When captured

L02Arthas24: Finally some firepower! These will help us with the main gate defenses!

Map concept for 5° chapter (based on Eversong Woods)

1641305306512.png

1641240452040.png

Attachments

• 1641308680784.png
    1641308680784.png
    267.8 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Level 2
Copied from my discord messages so sorry for the weird formatting.

the Fall of Quel'thalas is in 3 missions originally - into the realm eternal / the key of the three moons / the fall of silvermoon

i think the fall of silvermoon can be split over 2 missions (one focusing on the exterior - eversong woods, and the other on Silvermoon itself) while the first two missions can be merged into one since i don't see a reason for them to be split anyway.

the key of the three moons is based in the Ghostlands, and that's the first zone arthas would enter when he invades quel'thalas. so having him put the key together in the Ghostlands and then proceeding to Eversong through the dead scar and into Silvermoon (which he enters because he has the keys for) would be a good idea i think

into the realm eternal / key of the three moons map would basically be the Ghostlands. Kam's reply on ur overhaul on hiveworkshop would be really cool to integrate here. occasionally have Dar'khan tell you where the key pieces are, which village they're in, while we see a major Elf base in Tranquilien

like in into the realm eternal, the campaign opens with you laying siege to a base surrounding Thas'alah - you open the mission by establishing Deatholme right away, then you go on from there to collect the key of the three moons.

after you complete the mission, you have to besiege Tranquilien to open the way to Eversong woods. When that's done (or right after you put the key together) Arthas kills Dar'khan in a cinematic and you have him as a demihero in the tranquilien siege and in the next two quel'thalas missions

this would also involve moving the runestones optional quest into part two.

it's basically like swapping the places of "Into the Realm Eternal" and "The Key of the Three Moons". so that you get the key first, since that's where you'll be geographically. then into the realm eternal is more focused on Sylvanas, like the original mission.

the optional quest would be the runestones, the main quest will be just destroying Sylvanas's base and resurrecting her. That way, the assault on Silvermoon in part 3 just takes place in Silvermoon and eventually leads you to Quel'Danas

you also get to use Sylvanas for a whole mission

i dont have any extensive ideas about part 2 but i think making part 1 about the key would be cool. In lore, An'telas, An'oywn, and An'daroth are where the three keys were, those are all ghostlands locations. so it makes no sense to go into Eversong Woods, then go back for the key, then go back to Silvermoon

this is much more linear. my biggest concern with this is if retiring the key plot for a mission (eversong woods) is a good idea. Eversong woods are protected by the runestones and Ban'dinoriel, which the key deactivates, protects Silvermoon specifically.

Dar'khan can explain this i guess and then in the silvermoon mission opening cinematic we can have arthas and dar'khan talking abt the key or something idk

So... I am thinking to actually split The Fall of Silvermoon into multiple phases. First phase is a macro mission. Second phase is a micro mission with waves of undead coming into the city and you have to help them overwhelm the defenders (similar to how the Siege of Dalaran will work in its entirety). The third phase will still be a micro mission with only boss battles at the Sunwell. The main antagonist of first phase is Sylvanas, of the second phase is Dawnseeker and finally of the last phase is Anasterian Sunstrider.

Level 5
Do you think you'll be able to include the Dead Scar in the Quel'Thalas missions in any way?

Also, for Silvermoon specifically, do you think we could see any amongst Liadrin, Rommath, Halduron, Lor'themar or Lana'thel as units that actually manage to flee in the first waves of ships?

Level 15
I suppose you have to weigh up whether the addition of Liadrin, Rommath, etc. makes any sense with the storyline we have now, or whether their easter eggs would be justified in the grand scheme of the 9 campaigns.

I think personally, it's better not to show them, the only one possibly worth showing would be Lana'thel because, theoretically, she could be included as an enemy to kill in Arthas' TFT campaign. If you included them without adding new story content, I worry that it'd feel a bit forced and out of the blue. If the story was expanded, you could justify them easier, but we cannot really expand it much.

Status
Not open for further replies.