• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Other Fantasy-based genres that you like?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 30
latest

As much as we love Warcraft and its WCIII lore (and a lil World of Warcraft background as well), what other fantasy-based genres you guys favor of? May it came from video games, books, or any other media.

I for one, adores the visuals of Dungeons and Dragons, Diablo, Elder Scrolls (Morrowind), Warhammer 40k/Old World, Warlords Battle cry, and Age of Wonders. There's more that I can't seem to remember the titles but boy do those genres made me to make my own monster encyclopedia when I was young to share it with my friends. :grin:

Level 24
My absolute favorite book of all time is definitely Inheritance the final book in the Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini. As for video games I'd say Dragon Age is my favorite if not WarCraft.

Level 29
Warlords Battle cry
I still find 2 to be highpoint of the serie, still do feel 3 did some unnecessary simplifications, inspecially in the RP aspect of the game.
The way the orcs are drawn there is comically funny, still remember their purple ogres.
Ah, the lengthy hours i spent leveling an fragile Necromancer into an absolute powerhouse with only one life. (then oneday, an minotaur came by and trashed his zombie ass, oneshot, ggwp)
Age of Wonders
Have and still love the first, second wasnt that great for me, bought third, had nice visuals but slaughtered gameplay. What i am saying is that my playtime of first surpassed both sequels by an large margin.

Ah Sequelitis, the plague of our time. How many games more will get ruined by it ?

Its only partially fantasy, overwhelmingly scifi but Warhammer 40k is what's lore im absolutely in love with. The grimdark in it appeals to me.
Lotrverse i also like, inspecially got interested in after the lotr trilogy came out. Its a very carefully structured universe with many hidden meanings for the ones that are willing to see it.
Returning to games, Bfme1 was the greatest, come 2 happent all kinds of silly things like an hero (im looking at you, Aragorn >_>') soloing entire armies in multiplayer.

And then there is ofcourse the Warcraft universe. The lore of Starcraft was helluva lot more gritty during times of the first game, inspecially in the cinematics (or atleast i perceived it like that) and thus had an appeal for me, but past sc2 its how to put, maybe too bright for my tastes. I mean all those death tolls happen playing throughout the campaign lorewise and what remains in the memory is an bunch of toy-like units trying to outspam each other with the commander as you.

Think will skip mentioning C&C universe since its not exactly fantasy. What you may need to know if want talking about that with me is that Toyberium Twilight remains non-canon and it all has ended with C&C3 for me. That ending was an fiasco and the game itself, where to begin counting its failures...

Status
Not open for further replies.