• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

ORPG - Need your opinion!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
lately i'v had this idea for an ORPG
You start in a Orc base camp that is under the control by Rexxar, he has been assignd here by Thrall.
But lately the lands has been invaded by the Alliance!
There will be lots of big bosses and a story too!

That is the story....For now!
I got the start planed, and how the "job" system is gonna be!
The "BIG" and hard bosses will have respawns inb the map with lots of item sets that the players can obtain!
....but there is a few problems!

1. I want ppl to help me out on the items! It's so damn boring in the long run.

2. Someone to write the story (I'm not good in writing, and grammar problems)

3. Save/load trigger. I want someone to do it for me, dont just give me directions to a tutorial, i'v tried 5-7 tut's already!

I can do all the other things to create a ORPG map, but without someone doing the S/L trigger, i wont!
The terrain i can do in 2 weeks, 1 if needed!

So, u interesed? Becouse i want to! ;)

Level 6
for me it sounds like you would want to redirect the majot parts of work towards otehr people, sticking to the nice and easy stuff ^^

no offence ment, but it somewhat soudns like that.

And to your ORPG, I have a few questions about it.

what exactly you gonna do?
As far as i understood (and/or interpreted) you are going to play some kind of basic orc unit, picking a job and fighting agaisnt the o so bad human alliance.
On the way of doing so, the heroes from the original wc3-campagin are going to plan the major task(s) an participating as well.

What features will the rpg have?
You hinted on a job- and a item-combo-system. Thats nothing special i had those two ideas (in a very basic version - just for seeing how to trigger it) in a few maps of my own, so it's nothing special - i played maps having these and many more features/system implemented. But those twop alone are no more than just a part of the basics, not the basics themselves.
Therefore i would advice you to think of a few more systems - but try not to overdo yourself - it's not allways good to have many systems. some wellchoosen ones instead of a bunch of predone simply mixed together are often the better choice.

All in all i will not help you with creating your map. But if you realy like to create a rpg-type of map, you can instead work with me. i could need someone for several parts of the work. (i'm good at triggering and abilities and such, a friend of mine is good at design, terrain, doodads and stuff like that. So we could use someone doing the, as you put it, boring work and the basic ideads of the story.
we need the units, items, and the story. The rest we (usually) create on our own. But we tend to do the work in modules wich may be copied and, with slight changes, reused for several purposes. So i create systems instead of abilities.
The problem about this is, that we do not have a wide variety of things even though they are easily possible with the stuff we created. We just do not do it, for we are already thinking about which systems are still missing, isntead of using the existing ones up to there limits.

But i come to an end - if you (or any one elese having read this post) wants to participate in one, or even several maps i am, or will, create, please contact me.

Level 7
oh, jeez forget saving and loading all those RPGs become are a buncha people with hugely different levels and power running around on their own killing what they can not caring and just trying to get a high level character

you don't need a story for that

real RPGs with plot development, character development (or at least a bit), unique systems, and generally something more interesting, would be very nice to see

i mean all ORPGs are what, the same thing with
A: different heroes and abilities
B: different random items
C: different monster names
D: a new terrain (which well, they all kinda blend together eventually)
E: a different 'boss' which is just a super strong unit that ends up being killed by some player who is lvl 200 and has killed it 400 times in the past already

Level 8
Raptor-- said:
oh, jeez forget saving and loading all those RPGs become are a buncha people with hugely different levels and power running around on their own killing what they can not caring and just trying to get a high level character

you don't need a story for that

real RPGs with plot development, character development (or at least a bit), unique systems, and generally something more interesting, would be very nice to see

i mean all ORPGs are what, the same thing with
A: different heroes and abilities
B: different random items
C: different monster names
D: a new terrain (which well, they all kinda blend together eventually)
E: a different 'boss' which is just a super strong unit that ends up being killed by some player who is lvl 200 and has killed it 400 times in the past already

The big bad bosses can only be killed with 8+ ppl, and max lvl will not be higher the 100!
When it comes to Item Sets im planing on having atleast 10 sets for each class, all unique!
Some sets for lower lvls and other for mid-lvl and high-lvl players!

Classes and Spells:
if you chose a warrior, you can go to a warrior trainer and learn 4 out of many spells, and upgrade them as u gain lvls!
Im planing it to be little like WoW and Final Fantasy, as they are my fav. games!

Weapons:
End-game weapons will be hard to get, You have to do a chain of quests and boss killing in order to get the weapon + 1-2 items needed to forge it, at an unknow place!

And yes. it is true that most, if no all RPG's are the same, but like al others, i want to make something unique.
I wont take any custom skin into the game, instead i'll do lots of mini-quests that u can obtain new and usefull items from, like digging in the desert, saving a village from eing zerged or, well, u know!
Easter Eggs are also lots of fun, adding some of those!
And when it comes to Singel Player there will be a diff S/L.
You can start a new char or load a pre-made char!

What i like about games, is that there are lots of secrets to discover, that too, i want lots off!

i dont want imba chars or weapons, i want balance!
If u get help by someone that is +lvl higher, u wont get as much exp as usual

+10-15 - -30%
+16-21 - -60%
+21-unlimited - -99%

it might not sound so good here, but in my mind it is notsofarfromperfect!

Status
Not open for further replies.