• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

orb the only solution?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mik

mik

Level 4
hello guys, i got some questions about orb items to you.

1) is it possible to give a unit a frost(slowing) or armor reducing attack when carrying a specific item without using an orb?

2) is it possible to combine that with a "rocket (bouncing)" and barrage (siege tank ability) attack? i know both these things do not work with orbs, so a workaround would be very nice.

thanks

Level 3
For 1st question, you just need to add frost attack to the item or if you want to make armor reduced attack, use the corruption orb ability for the item you wanted to use to the item... You just need to add abilities to the item if you want to add some abilities to your attacks or other things... Hope i helped you =D

Level 9
There are several skills that add frost damage, not only orb. However, i don't think that you can use fire, frost, lighting, or vampiric at one time for one hero.

1, So, you can give a frost attack without orb. But for an armor reducing attack you need dummy.
2. No, but you can imitate it with dummy.

Level 5
For 1st question, you just need to add frost attack to the item or if you want to make armor reduced attack, use the corruption orb ability for the item you wanted to use to the item... You just need to add abilities to the item if you want to add some abilities to your attacks or other things... Hope i helped you =D

How the f*** is this a non-orb solution?

Dude, you must use dummy units that have these orbs. And it might be a problem with modifiers like barrage or bounce.

Oh, and remember, frost attack (for ranged) will still be a buff-placer.

Level 19
<really stupid and retarded content>
This is World Editor Help zone
If you type something here type something helpful or go to rap forums

Anyway
Solution without an orb would be something like:
You get a Damage Detection system
You give your unit a poison attack that doesnt do any damage or slow
You make a trigger like
When someone takes damage
if Damaged unit has slow poison buff (so its damaged by a normal attack not spell)
Remove the Slow poison buff
and if the Unit Caused damage has slowing item, create a dummy caster and order it to cast frost nova to Unit took damage

A little complicated but Ive done it many times

I uploaded an example map
First spell of hydra in it gives him a chance to blast enemy with frost nova on each attack and its not orb
-------------------------------------
And bounce attack with barrage just impossible :/ sorry

Attachments

• frostbane.w3x
    21.6 KB · Views: 66
Level 5
<really smart and funny content>
This is Sparta!

It's also a buff-placer and still doesn't work with multiple-attack targets.

Not if you trigger it.
You can add a buff to the attacked unit via triggers.. Or does that need WEU?
I think ive seen it before, though.

Else, nope.
Yea, but triggering e.g. bounce is hella complex. You need a dummy unit for each bounce each remembering the damage dealt from the previous one, what buff shall it place, what is the damage range of the caster (and who is the caster, did it crit, did it bash, did it miss (and dealt reduced AOE damage if it is splash), which unit was already hit and make it all for multiple players and multiple instances of the unit per player. GG.

Last edited:
Level 5
Not triggering the attack, but triggering the 'add effect'.
That shouldn't be hard.

Events
Unit - An unit is attacked.
Conditions
Attacking unit has buff 'Frost attacker' equal to true
Actions
Unit - Add buff 'Frost' to Attacked unit.
Oh, I see, I thought it was about the multiple-target attack working with buff-placers.

AFAIK you cannot simply add a buff via triggers (you can only remove them). You can do that by creating an expiring dummy unit, which would do the buff placing.
Still, it would be a bit glitchy, since it would automatically place the buff even if the attack was not finished.

Now, I just came up with a solution which doesn't need a dummy buff (like Slow Poison), so that normal, hardcoded buff-placer can still work. It's a bit complex, though.

master trigger:
When unit attacks an unit
check if the attacker has your ability
if yes, then create a dummy attacker that does no damage (make it deal 1-1 damage and give it War Drums affecting only self which gives -1 flat bonus damage plus the desired orb/buff-placing ability with damage point being the same as the caster unit and a long attack cooldown (a little bit over 5 times longer than the damage point) and give it Rally ability, all this in the Object Editor)
give the dummy all the IAS buffs and debuffs that the caster has (including unit/item abilities, IMO that's the hardest part if there are many of them)
order the dummy to set its rally point to the caster
order the dummy to attack the attacked unit
add expiration timer to the dummy lasting for longer than 5 times the damage point and still a bit less than the attack cooldown (all this is constant)

removeDummy trigger:
When unit is given any order
check if it has your ability
if yes then pick all the dummy units that have their rally points set to the ordered unit and remove them

Kinda complex, but you can see few of my tricks here ;] (simulating the attack-being landed event and linking dummy units via rally).

Level 19
Not if you trigger it.
What I ment was "getting and doing exact same damage that unit has" is not so possible
Only if you can createa an illision of it to attack but there is no Such trigger as Unit - Create Illision of X unit
or you can create illusion with a spell but detecting the created illusion and ordering it to attack a random enemy wont work well
You can Create same type of that unit to attack too but attack bonuses wont be applied

Level 5
What I ment was "getting and doing exact same damage that unit has" is not so possible
Only if you can createa an illision of it to attack but there is no Such trigger as Unit - Create Illision of X unit
or you can create illusion with a spell but detecting the created illusion and ordering it to attack a random enemy wont work well
You can Create same type of that unit to attack too but attack bonuses wont be applied

Dude, just read the post above yourself. It is all possible.

Level 19
Oh then only one question remains
if a unit has poison attack and barrage ability will all targets get poisoned
or no it wont be a problem for tds

and yea you are right its my mistake I forgot that we can get the damage done from unit takes damaage trigger

or simply you can make that tower not attack
well by not attack if you give an orb of slow based ability to some unit with bounce attack
it will attack but it wont lunch missle and it wont hit target

So when that unit attacks create X dummies with bounce attack and they have same damage with base tower
they attack targets nearby

Status
Not open for further replies.