• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece!🔗 Click here to enter!

Opening the data editor = crash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
I recently finished the terrain on my map, and now I'm moving forward with the data editing, but everytime I try to open the data editor, it crashes. Everytime.

If I open a new map, and open up the data editor, I can use it for, oh maybe 2 minutes, before I do something that makes it crash.

What is the deal? I updated my video drivers, but I don't think it has to do with my system, here are the specs:

Core 2 Q9550
4 gigs of 800mhz ram
2 x 4870 512mb
7200rpm 750 gig HD

Any ideas?

Level 8
EDIT: Nevermind, I found the repair tool, hopefully this will work, if not I'll just reinstall.

Thanks.

Ugh, repair tool and reinstall didn't work.

How do I check if the dependencies are correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 9
If you never touched the dependencies at all, then that shouldn't be the problem, if you have touched them (adding/removing campaign and regular dependencies) the problem might lie there.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
There are 3 possible causes of this problem as far as I can tell. Although there is some evidence behind them it is up to you to discern which if any is the case.
1. Some piece of hardware is broken in your machine, as such under high load it is unstable. However playing the game SC2 would likly encounter this problem which you have not mentioned anything about so I guess it works fine so mostly this can be rulled out.
2. "2 x 4870 512mb". You are using a dual graphic card configuration which are commonly known to be a source of crashes in many games. Try disabling crossfire or dualcard stuff to see if it improves stability.
3. Your OS is curropted or damage in some way ( I am guess its vista or windows 7). Only fix to this is a reinstall of the OS.

Level 8
If you never touched the dependencies at all, then that shouldn't be the problem, if you have touched them (adding/removing campaign and regular dependencies) the problem might lie there.

Oh those dependencies. I fool around with them all the time, they don't work properly?

There are 3 possible causes of this problem as far as I can tell. Although there is some evidence behind them it is up to you to discern which if any is the case.
1. Some piece of hardware is broken in your machine, as such under high load it is unstable. However playing the game SC2 would likly encounter this problem which you have not mentioned anything about so I guess it works fine so mostly this can be rulled out.
2. "2 x 4870 512mb". You are using a dual graphic card configuration which are commonly known to be a source of crashes in many games. Try disabling crossfire or dualcard stuff to see if it improves stability.
3. Your OS is curropted or damage in some way ( I am guess its vista or windows 7). Only fix to this is a reinstall of the OS.

Yeah the computer works fine underload in SC2 and Crysis and other games. But it crashes when stressed by the editor. I tried disabling Crossfire to no avail. I'm going to try another SC2 reinstall.

Level 8
Reinstalling SC2 will not help...

Try minimizing other windows while using the data editor. Try disabling multi display mode. Try defragmenting your hard disk. Try turning off editor autosave. Try setting the data editor to list view.

You were correct. Another reinstall did not help. I turned off autosave and tried setting the data editor to list view. Didn't work. What is multi display mode? I only have one monitor if it refers to more than one.

I will try defragging the harddrive.

I really don't want to reinstall everything and the OS. I am the only one with this issue? I was hoping it might get fixed in a patch or two. Gives me a good reason to upgrade from Vista 32 bit to 7 64 bit though.

EDIT: I clicked repair on the new install, and am I now having success in list view for the moment in a new empty map. I'll try it on my map to see if there is any success, hopefully it will work.

EDIT #2: No luck on my map...

Status
Not open for further replies.