• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

open rpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 28
Erm, before you start making it: do you have a lot of experience with the world editor
(this means: you know what DISBTN's are, you know how to fix leaks, how to code efficiently, how to create a proper terrain, how to customise/trigger abilities, how to use item systems, what the damage formula is, how to implement JASS/GUI systems?)

You will need all these things for an ORPG and a lot more.

When you are relatively new to the world editor, starting an ORPG is a good way to show you just how little you actually know...
And if so, please do not upload the map at the hive :)

Level 28
Thanks for the kind word of encouragement... And the tips on how to be an asshole ap0calypse. Just follow the tutorials that were listed and make your way.

Best way to learn is to do it, and as you learn, improve the map.

Whoaw, I'm not trying to discourage... one of my first projects was an ORPG and it got approved!
It started out as a crappy map, with all knowledge I had (which was basically nothing), I built my way up, because I couldn't let that project fail...
I gained a lot of experience (I have learned about terraining, descriptions, object data - also due to hundreds of test-maps in which I changed object data and most of all triggering... I've learned how to code efficiently and

HOWEVER: I did not upload the map on the hive, not until I was sure it was good enough.
As a map mod, I can say that only 2-3% of all people who upload maps here do that, only 2-3% of everyone here got their first map on the hive approved.

My point is: an ORPG requires more knowledge and dedication than you can possible imagine...
Starting an ORPG without thinking what the hell you are doing and then uploading it is wrong.

Level 12
And the tips on how to be an asshole ap0calypse.
Calling a moderator an asshole isn't such a bright idea.

I can agree with ap0calypse's viewpoint on ORPG maps. I've seen many noob "maps" (if you want to call them that) rejected, over and over again. So, it's best not to upload anything you think might get rejected.

And with that said, good luck with your mapping, young grasshopper! :thumbs_up:

Status
Not open for further replies.