• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

[Need Info] Ongoing Missile Ability

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hello. I'm making a Starcraft map and I'm not sure how to do an ability that travels to a certain range, damaging everything it touches. I've almost gotten it, but the problem is that if I target a closer location it only goes that far. I'd like it to head a certain distance in a given direction, then disappear, where the only thing you do that affects it is which direction you point it in. Basically like Raynor's penetrating snipe in the nydus worm mission, except a missile.

I've considered setting the cursor to the maximum distance, but I tried something like that in the past and it didn't work. How would I best go about this?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Two ways that immediately come to mind.
  1. Use a periodic effect to offset the missile target location to always be at maximum length.
  2. Change the missile mover to throw and disable impact detection. Instead rely on natural expiry and constant or controlled velocity.

For the periodic damage you use the new 3.0 fields with Missile effects to attack a periodic effect to it. You then use markers like with the Hellion to prevent damage being done multiple times to the same target. The periodic effect expires when the missile dies (validator should work for this).

Status
Not open for further replies.