• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

On the use of other languages: You will not evade punishment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every few weeks I find a recurring theme pops up, looking through reports I find yet another user reported for the same situation:

Insulting other uses in other languages.

I'm going to tell you this now, just because you use another language does not mean you won't be held responsible for what you say. We have users from all over the world here, in the community and the staff, if you speak a language chances are others speak it too, and they will report you.

The moderators aren't dumb, should no one on the staff speak the language we can find someone who can, or better yet use google translate. The rules say English only in the forums for a reason, and should you choose to type something in your native tongue instead of English when all your other posts were in English, you look guilty already.

As a member of the site you are expected to treat other members with respect, trying to evade that will only bring you punishment.

Reactions: Rui
Tleno said:
And... what about writing on native language on the profile of other user who speaks that language? I mean, it's meant to be wrotten to him, and if there's actually something offesnive, he can just report it, right?

If both users speak the language it's not against the rules, but that doesn't mean the rules don't apply - that actually happens all the time, someone writes something offensive in a language the two both speak and then someone has to go clean that up. I just don't get for what reason they feel they'll get away from being punished just because it's in a different language.

Translating Unknown Languages to English

Brought to you by Google Translate

Thanks to their new 'Detect Language' feature, it's been a lot easier to figure out what hivers are saying most of the time.

Oh and I would like you to acknowledge that the only places I speak arabic on the hive are my Lebanese homies' profiles.

It's only in the public sections of the site where English is the only language allowed.
Visitor Messages and PMs are perfectly fine (that being said you should be sure both parties speak the language, but that's more common sense then anything else), but that's not really the point of this thread in the first place - it's not the use of other languages, it's the use of other languages to insult other users thinking you will get away with it.

Level 5
Every few weeks I find a recurring theme pops up, looking through reports I find yet another user reported for the same situation:

Insulting other uses in other languages.

I'm going to tell you this now, just because you use another language does not mean you won't be held responsible for what you say. We have users from all over the world here, in the community and the staff, if you speak a language chances are others speak it too, and they will report you.

The moderators aren't dumb, should no one on the staff speak the language we can find someone who can, or better yet use google translate. The rules say English only in the forums for a reason, and should you choose to type something in your native tongue instead of English when all your other posts were in English, you look guilty already.

As a member of the site you are expected to treat other members with respect, trying to evade that will only bring you punishment.

Waits,sometimes the translator google translated bad :S

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
So...can we swear in English?
As far as the English only rule is concerned, yes.
However doing so might violate other site rules depending on the context the swear was used in.

Generally it is best to avoid swears as they are not very civil.

An example of where swearing is appropiate is in dialog in a map to build character profile or enhance storyline. Joe's Quest had the main character swear a lot during cutscenes to build his character.

Level 17
I don't know why you would swear at users in a different language on an English speaking website, it's like you are asking to get kicked in the face.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Waits,sometimes the translator google translated bad :S
Regardless, it still gives us more or less of an idea of what's being said.

I thought we just immediatly deleted all posts that contain noticable non-English languages. Why bother translating when you can just delete it as it does state clearly in the rules that we only allow English on this site.
It's because we need to know exactly how many rules are being broken. It says you cannot flame, we'll assume that means no flaming in whatever language.

Backed up, Werewolf.

Level 34
Well mostly, with my people we talking in our language into our profiles, and never ever happened anyone to get insulted.

Then that should be appended to the rules.
A line such as "Visitor Messages can contain languages other than English, but only if both conversers are capable of understanding said language."
Well, problem is, when rules were created, then visitor messages did not exist.
Thats why it said that English only must be used to publicly visible contest of sites. However, visitor messages are messages in private profile, which as private messages are aimed to certain person only, therefore they are not concern or matter for other users or public as part of certain profile. Rules do not recognize it. So basically like you said, rules should be changed to include other languages from English, basically native languages of members. All members talk with their native language in profile pages.

This:
Its the same as distributing warez via profile message is against the rules. Might not concern everyone, but still is very bad for the site to support.
I don't really see how you can compare these 2 rules.
If you're saying that we shouldn't post vms in other languages because the rule states so, then fine, but I thought we were discussing the rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.