• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

On the right foot...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hi!

I have been a member of this site for a while, but this is my first post. I have been creeping from afar...

But I have really been inspired by some of the work you all have done! Much much much kudos!

...I started getting really into a w3editor project over a year ago before reforged was announced... and sadly, I lost all the work with an old computer...one thing you must know about me is that I am SUPER GREEEEEN! Green as a peon... a total noob at anything programming... but...I have become downright possessed by the creative energy that drove me before... and have pretty much remade my map to the point it was at before I lost it...but this time reforged. I am very committed to learn more, as I have realized this whole process is better self-taught through trial and error...and already this time around I feel more confident that I can achieve all the features I want for this map--they all seem possible!

I guess I just want to say hi, and ask a few questions to get started on the right foot.. I need these answers to be dumbed down plox!

Questions:

1) I am terrified of losing my work again... and this one makes me feel really dumb... but I don't have a cloud...can I just e-mail my map to myself? It will open on any comp with Reforged on it? I wont upload it here just yet...I have a knack for things being presentable and my map is not quite there...

2) I am feeling more and more like I will be needing Bribe's Damage engine... How do I import that (is it just in imports like a mdx file? I know how to do that--See I'm learning!). It just sits in imports? Will it change all the triggers I already made?

...just two questions for now... probably 100s more questions and requests inc tho... stay tuned! Oh yea.. and maybe.. is there a discord you guys all use, hang out in? Peace!

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
Welcome to the site!

I am glad to see people joining :).

1) I am terrified of losing my work again... and this one makes me feel really dumb... but I don't have a cloud...can I just e-mail my map to myself? It will open on any comp with Reforged on it? I wont upload it here just yet...I have a knack for things being presentable and my map is not quite there...
There are many options these days. I typically recommend installing Dropbox which gives you a folder on your PC that is synced to the cloud. So if you save your map to this folder and edit it from there you gain the following:

1. Multiple versions get stored. If you accidentally override your map, you can go back. If you delete it, you can get restore it. If you upgrade it to reforged and it breaks, you can go back.
2. If your computer explodes or gets stolen, you can get it back.

2) I am feeling more and more like I will be needing Bribe's Damage engine... How do I import that (is it just in imports like a mdx file? I know how to do that--See I'm learning!). It just sits in imports? Will it change all the triggers I already made?
@Bribe 's tool should include instructions on how to import it. Can you link it?

Bribe

Code Moderator
Level 50
To put your worries at ease, the installation of Damage Engine is this simple:
  1. Use WarCraft 3 Version 1.32
  2. Copy & Paste the Damage Engine category (folder) from the attached map to your own map.
Damage Engine 5.7.1.2

No .wtg file manipulation or importing, you just paste it in with the rest of your triggers.

Level 3
Haha wow...

Thank you!!! Despite you making that incredibly simple it took me 2 hrs to figure out... but thank you for also posting here as a I had a hard time re-finding it... mind you I tend to get distracted easily as I browse all these forums/models/maps/custom abilities...

Now I'm going to stare at it blankly for a few more hours to figure out basic functions.. prolly no inception needed for me but we'll see

in the meantime, more quickfire questions..

1) I think I originally made my map too big...and to save on loading screen time, and performance, I'd like to shrink it...do I copy paste all my triggers and custom units/items/abilities to a smaller map or is camera/map bounds a safe option?

2) One custom ability I made last night is based off blizzard... I want it to be a 1 wave, fast damage, small circle AoE "skillshot" (I'm hoping to create some sort of circular visual warning on where the caster is targeting so enemies have a chance to avoid it--think [Cho'Gath: Rupture]). However... it has now bugged and it seems that once I hit a unit with blizzard once... I can no longer hit it with blizzard.. as if getting hit by the spell once grants them immunity to it...mind you I'm just testing and hitting friendly units (which are allowed, I have kept target's allowed the same as original blizzard--which hits friendlies). Anyone run in to this issue before? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.