• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Ogre Unit and Spell Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 24
Hello Hive.

I am currently working on a ogre campaign of which I will not reveal much. I am in need of your help, as I have run out of ideas for good units and abilities for them, credits and +rep will of course be given for every accepted idéa. Below follows a list of units currently implemented, remember to not make the units or spells too overpowered, it needs to be balanced with other melee abilites (such as the abilites of the Priest or Sorceress). Credit for all units is included below.

Name:Unit-Type:Abilites:Credits:
LaborerWorkerHarvest Gold and Lumber, Construct Buildings, Repair.Linaze
EnforcerMeleeEnrage.Linaze
ArcanistCasterHaste, Reverse Magic, Voidwalker Form Linaze
BoulderRanged SiegeZinive

As is easily notices, this list is far too short for a melee race, I do not aim for a complete techtree, but more like the naga race. I need ideas for at least one ranged unit, one caster unit and one siege unit. The caster unit should be some kind arcane-ish healer, the ranged unit can be mostly anything with a ranged weapon, finally the siege unit can basically be a simple catapult, would just be cool if you gave it some unique ability to differ it from other siege units. If you come up with some other ideas for units, feel free to post any more unit ideas you come up with and if they are good they will also be used.

Please Note: Units except for siege shall all be Ogres.

~Linaze

Last edited:
I have many ideas!

Expect more ideas soon!

>>>You could make an ogre lord with an AXE! That has never been done before as far as I know. :gg: It should be a hero or power unit. (Every race has a power unit)
>>>You could use the melee ogre units, that would give you most of what you need.
>>>You could make a spell for one of the heroes called Spiked Weapons, like trueshot aura but for melee weapons only instead of ranged.
>>>I was already working on ogre upgrade icons, I will add a link to my post if you want (after I put my icons on THW).
>>>If you get a model of an ogre with an axe could I use it too?:as:

Level 24
Expect more ideas soon!

>>>You could make an ogre lord with an AXE! That has never been done before as far as I know. :gg: It should be a hero or power unit. (Every race has a power unit)
>>>You could use the melee ogre units, that would give you most of what you need.
>>>You could make a spell for one of the heroes called Spiked Weapons, like trueshot aura but for melee weapons only instead of ranged.
>>>I was already working on ogre upgrade icons, I will add a link to my post if you want (after I put my icons on THW).
>>>If you get a model of an ogre with an axe could I use it too?:as:
Alrighty, I am going to be totally honest with you, and actually I am not really fond of your ideas. For example, Ogre Lord with axe? Dosen't sound unique, creative or even "cool" in any way, also seems like you suggest it so you can use the model yourself :/. The melee (guess you mean creep) ogre units are not balanced for what I need, and I am creating the ogre techtree from scratch. Haven't planned heroes yet, nor did I ask for ideas for them. The icons could be intresting, keep me posted on this one. For last thing, unsure if the models will be released.

Level 5
So you want unique units this might be a bit extreme.

Maniac

The most brutal and reckless kind of ogre

Ogre with a heavy melee attack. As a Weapon he uses dynamite which of cause will explode most of the times (around a 30% chance) This will deal damage and disarm the Manic (he deals then only 50% damage) for a short time.
He can use Big Explosion (damages him and all units around him.)
Once he drops below 50% he will enrage and be uncontrollable until no more enemies are nearby or he is dead (of cause).

Double Brain

The most Brilliant of Ogres. (he just acts like he is)

He uses a spell called random bolt. He throws either a sheep, a pig, a peon or a giant ball of fire.

The sheep just dose nothing because its to soft. It's just like throwing a piece of cotton wool at somebody. The pig will be stucked into the target because of its tusks and deal some damage over time. The Peon will explode upon impact dealing Heavy damage to the target and its surroundings. The Fireball will just make puff and it is gone. So their is a 50% chance to deal damage or to waste that spell.

Earth Destroyer.

This Ogre uses a lot move that shake the ground and damages units by doing so. He uses a boring shockwave, a Jump spell and something i call pound. To use pound he needs a low ogre near him a laborer or something. He will pick that unit up and smash it to ground rapidly the shockwaves are slowing enemies and damaging him. This spell should be like 1 wave = 50 hp of the used unit. so a 200 hp unit will create 4 waves.

Axog

This is short for Axe Master Ogre. (those ogres are by far to stupid to remember more then anything with 4 letters)

Trained till childhood (do ogres have such a thing?). He gained tremendous speed. He will be the fastest ogre. However he swings his axe with such a force that he can't the stop the thrust and starts to spin around sometimes (I hope their is a Ogre Model out their supporting Whirlwind).

However if you want something more serious

Runehammer Wielder

Story:
These Warriors where selected by the Elder shamans and allowed to use their special enchanted Hammers.

Type: Melee - support

Ability

Runehammer:
This Ogre uses a randomly enchanted Weapon. This can be Ice, Fire or Arcane. When the unit is trained from the barrack one of the enchantments will be chosen. If it is Ice his attack will of cause chill his enemies, Fire will burn them and Arcane has a minor feedback and a low chance around 2% to turn the attacked unit into a sheep.

Arcantas (I thing a white Ogre with daggers would be nice form this one)

Story:
Those ogres are a very rare mutation. Strong arcane energies turned his skin pure white and changed their personality. Arcantas are very reasonable and relying on tactics instead of brutal might. The only which to leave peacefully and because of this they hide themselves from everyone. However they keep track of all the events and when ever needed they change the flow of battle with their cunning assassination techniques. They are assassins using arcane magic instead of the normal stealth.

Role: Heavy Damage dealer

Abilities

Crittoriz:
Can turn himself into a critter, while in this form he looks like a normal sheep (or what ever critter you are using in the map). If he is attacked he turns back to normal.

Arcane Nightmare:
Uses Arcane magic to project a picture of a great foe. This Illusion will use a roar (and disappears shortly after the use) skill which has a (60%) chance to make the enemies around flee.

Catapult (This is still a ogre not a maschine)

Story:
These Bulky Ogres are called Catapults for their ability to throw heavy rocks as far as a catapult can.

Type: Siege, ranged support

Abilities

Gigant Impact: Each throw has a low chance (5%) to stun all units (even friendly ones) in an area of 300 around the impact.

Bowling:
Instead of throwing his boulder he bowls it dealing damage to all units hit.

Level 6
caster and siege are ez: ogre magi + some BIG brute with massive damage but slow attack speed.

from what i know ogres arent very fond of ranged attacks coz they like to SMUSH things. maybe a BOULDER THROWER? or a CLUB THROWER?

if boulder thrower, have the unit play its spell animation (the one the looks like hes punching something) for attacks. downside is theres some rainbowy fire fx attached to his hand in that animation.

for CLUB THROWER, have him use the regular ogre attack animation (SMUSH).

for siege it would be funny to hjave some catapult that throws OGRES (coz theyre that dumb), but then theyre too dumb to 'invent' anything. (self-contradictory idea, i know. maybe u can explain like they stole it from the orcs and didnt know how to work it properly; instead of using siege4 projectiles, they used themselves.)

alternatively, for use of a catapult, u can use it in conjunction with their BIG BRUTE SIEGE GUYS to throw them to the enemy base coz theyre so slow to move... and ogres are that dumbto use catapults that way...

Level 7
Out of curiosity, I thought Ogres were actually sposed to be smarter than they looked, for some reason I can't remember. (At least their warlords are smart enough to wear armour.)

Um, I spose I have to tihnk of a suggestion now. Ogres that throw catapults? :D Lol.
Really with blokes like Ogres any ranged Ogre would almost be a siege unit, so just make one that yeah, throws clubs or trees or something.

Else you could be silly and make it throw baby ogres, or make the casting units tiny little ogrets.

You know, if I was going to have an ogre race for Warcraft, I reckon I'd make Goblins the labourers or something, Ogres look too lazy to like doing much work. If you're feeling creative you could do a 'group' style thing, where you spawn a working gang of goblins, with one Ogre Taskmaster. And perhaps you just control the Taskmaster really, and he has the ability to order the goblins to build thing blah blah. The Ogre could attack, but the Goblins would probably run around being useless if it came to fighting.
I tihnk that'd be sort of uniqueish, but you might not want groups.

How 'bout for a siege unit: a Blunderbog Ogre, a shortish squat ogre with a big helmet that charges buildings blindly?

:D Lol, hope there's something out of those that might give a little inspiration.

Level 6
nah ogres are really just very stupid. read them up at wowwiki.com/ogre. the only smart ogres are some 'enlightened' ones at this hub called Ogrilla + the ogre magi that gul'dan created.

neither of these groups of ogres became smart by themselves. the former were exposed to some powerful crystals, w/c made them smarter. the latter were magiced-on by gul'dan so they can cast spells.

maybe you can make the ogres throw pigs or something. they enslave a lot of creatures, sentient or no, and use them in w/e way they THINK (and theyre dumb) is apt.

Level 24
Hmm, you guys seriously spam this thread with wild savage beasts, sure that's ogres, but why should they fire their own kind in catapults? Boblin throwing ogres, I mean how? Please be serious when replying here, I will perhaps add a ogre throwing boulder, since it fits it rather well. Will of course make my own minor changes to the unit it I do add it. Keep posting 'em mates, but no throwing units :p

Level 6
um i already suggested rock/boulder/club throwing ogres. and its goblin-throwing ogres he meant (goblins that throw goblins); not goblins throwing ogres (goblins that throw goblins). ogres are really just very dumb. just so explicitly u just cant exaggerate their stupidity enuff

and by catapults firing ogres, i meant it as a means of getting their heavy, slow guys to the frontline fast (think blink agent), coz theyre stupid and they think of using catapuilts that way - instead of to projectiles at the enemy.

Level 7
I thought that might be misunderstood. I'm gonna try here for a really serious suggestion that I tihnk could work, since I think Ogres are alsum. :) Give me a second...

Since there are Ogres that have been intellectually enhanced, (crystal or magic), why don't we go to the cool place instead of the dumb (ogre) one.

I tihnk something that could add a bit of flavour to the Ogre culture, is the arcanist thing you have going Linaze. Get a big Ogre, put him in some arcane armour that looks both mageish and slightly demon influenced, and give him a big as staff with a massive gem/crystal thing on the end. And make him more physically impressive, less round more just tall and bulky. So he looks like a very impressive battle-mage ogre sized.
Any specific suggestions as to spells and stuff I don't have, but I tihnk it would be nice to take the ogres in a new direction.

Besides that, throw in something to do with the Gronn in someway. Gronn's Child as a hero maybe, or Gronn abilities or summons.

My 2 cents.

Level 24
Well there is some story about the ogres in my campaign that they learn to master the Arcane Element. The ogre appearance you wrote is good, though to hard to make, since the guy who's done models for me only model edits and don't scratch model. And still, ogres are bulky and not tall and thin. However, the information it self is kind of vague, and since you don't tell neither name of unit, not really unit-type nor spells, I see no use for your unit, Alakon.

Level 5
how about a simple ogre drummer using lord t orge drummer model with differnt auras like war drums

Level 5
The idea of a drummer is very nice. It should be able to play different types of ... uehm drum thingys ...

Hyena Lord

type: melee support
(stolen from WoW :con:)
These Ogres have taimed wild Hyenas to follow their command. Once trained a Hyena spawns which will have increased damage, attack speed and move speed while near the Lord. If the Hyena dies before the Lord he can resurrect it after 10 seconds with 10% hp.

Savage Guard

type: Tanking unit.
Trained to take a lot of hits these Ogres carry a light (well light for a ogre) weapon and a heavy crude shield. They can take tons of damage but their own attack is very weak.
Abilities:
- Taunt
- Protect the Weakling: For 5 Seconds the Ogre will take all melee and ranged hits done to the targeted friendly unit.
- Last Rampage
This is triggered when the Ogre is below 30% hp
The Ogre throws away both his shield and weapon and starts to hit his enemies with his fist. The player looses control of this unit and it will start to take damage equal to 1% hp each 2 seconds. He attacks with greatly increased melee damage but reduced armor.

Level 7
Fine, you've forced me to throw in the third cent! :D

I was only suggesting a look for the Arcanist would I thought would have been cool.
Let's try again. I'll make up a new name to make you happy. :)

Name: Arcane Battle-Lord (Lol. Remember that I'm doing this on the spur of the moment.)
Role: Primary Caster Unit
Summary: The above post describes how they would look physically. As a role, these Ogrish Lords of Battle Magic would use brutal arcane spells that are as direct and devastating as they are short-ranged. An Ogre Arcanist Lord often wades into the thick of battle to lay waste with their magic.
Arcane Hammer - The Ogre smashes its enchanted gem into the enemy which explodes in Arcane Fury with every unit in range, causing direct heavy damage. (I'm not going to put in stats, because I don't have any numbers to compare it to.)
Arcane Might (Probably Auto-Cast ability)- (I'm just sticking Arcane behind everything, its cheap, but easy.) The Ogre glows with bright magic, and the normal damage of every Arcanist in range is increased by 25%. Non-stackable.
Fury of the Void - The Void hates the living, and these powerful Ogre Arcanists can turn its fury against their enemies. The target unit will erupt with wild discharges of mana as the void rages within them. The mana discharges will cause Feedback damage to the unit and every unit in range so long as the spell lasts.

Wee bit of made up lore that is wrong : :)

When Guldan summoned fel and malefic magic to imbue the Ogres with an unnatural intelligence, he had thought to use them in order to confront the demons themselves and steal their items of power and books of magic with an army of unstoppable Ogres. However, the Ogres, enchanted (happy) with their own power, eventually spurned him, and decided to take power for themselves.
Along with their newfound intelligence also came a powerful will, unlike their lazy lesser brethren the Ogre Magi, they did not seek to steal the magics of others to fuel their spells. Instead they formed what other races might even term a cult or a council, and where they built upon their power and knowledge, learning what they could from the occult books of the demons, but refusing to be bound to the demons themselves. As such, their armour still bears some recognisable traits of the demon forges, but only because they supplement the magic with the Arcanists.

(The above explains why they are just impressively powerful like an Eredar, instead of having the big gut. Basically, they are even bigger than lesser ogres, but they've got tight abs dude!)

OK. Now that has to be about everything you wanted. Doesn't bother me if you use it or not, I just posted here cos I like Ogres. Cya!

P.S You used my favourite guy as an Avatar, how dare you! Burn!!!

Level 15
Name:Model:Unit-Type:Abilites:
Ogre BruteThat Orange Ogre thingTankerAbsorb Damage [Mountain Giant Hardened Skin modified]{Passive}, Thick Fat [Spell Negation with cooldown]{Passive}.
Ogre MagiOgre MagiMageBloodlust {AutoCast}, Inner Magic [Increase attack and defense of nearby allies]{AutoCast}
Ogre ChampionAura, High End UnitOne headed Ogre WarlordEarth Shaker [Thunder Clap]{Active}, Champion Aura [Command Aura]{Aura}, Taunt {Active}
Hope this helps.

Level 24
Name:Model:Unit-Type:Abilites:
Ogre BruteThat Orange Ogre thingTankerAbsorb Damage [Mountain Giant Hardened Skin modified]{Passive}, Thick Fat [Spell Negation with cooldown]{Passive}.
Ogre MagiOgre MagiMageBloodlust {AutoCast}, Inner Magic [Increase attack and defense of nearby allies]{AutoCast}
Ogre ChampionAura, High End UnitOne headed Ogre WarlordEarth Shaker [Thunder Clap]{Active}, Champion Aura [Command Aura]{Aura}, Taunt {Active}
Hope this helps.
Thing is that I don't want unit names to have "ogre" in the beginning, that way they sounds like creep units to me, it isn't called Human Footman, Human Peasant etc. after all. Also the one headed ogre warlord model is used by the Enforcer posted on first page, and what is the "orange ogre thing"?. I also think your units have too many abilities for normal melee units, but that's me. I shall think trough your idéas Zack1996, but I am not sure I am very fond of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.