• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

NotD : Final Winter 0.6e

Night of the Dead : Final Winter

-A map inspired by NotD series.
The story:
In the year 2152, a devastating outbreak of an unknown virus starts turning humans into undead creatures.
After several failed attempts at neutralizing the virus, a cooperative project between several of Earth`s countries took place with the objective of expanding and populating the scientific base on Mars. Once a viable human population was secured from the virus, they could return one day to repopulate Earth, when the virus has run its course out.
With the success of the project the future of mankind`s survival was secured... but the story of the survivors left on Earth did not end there...

2cnjthi.jpg

2ij5hkz.jpg
fub9q8.jpg
vywod0.jpg
241ru4z.jpg

Gameplay

Final Winter can be best described as a team survival map and the only way to survive to the end is if the team works harmoniously. The maximum amount of players is 6, and it is recommended that at least 5 players participate in a session.
If you are unfamiliar with other NotD style maps the learning curve will be steep and it is recomended that you play "Easy" mode which allows players to revive fallen squad members using a Medi-Kit.

After player1(red) selects the difficulty, each player will be able to pick his class. Once everyone selects a class (or the selection timer runs out), a Leader will be selected randomly out of the players that picked a class. The leader will be prompted to select a landing zone which will start a 'scenario'. At the moment there is only one scenario, in which the team must locate and disarm a nuclear device before it detonates.
The leader has additional abilities such as:
-team commands (give quick orders to team or single squad members)
-mission reminder ,accessed in the marine menu (-m), will ping the locations of interest

Features

-Team based game play
-6 Unique classes
-Item spawn system (with over 50 different types of items), assuring that items will be scattered differently each game
-Hostile spawn system (with over 30 different unit types), assuring that enemies will come from a different direction each game
-Save/Load system that keeps track of your experience, rank, medals, and codex entries
-CODEX system that allows players to unlock entries about hostiles/items/etc in the f9 section
-Ammunition/Clip system.
-Ammo,Modules System. You are able to pickup certain power-ups for your weapon/armor/ammunition. You can view your currently installed power-ups in the marine menu (-m)
-Ailment System. Marines will receive biological and mechanical ailments based on unit-type damage source, angle of attack and other factors.
-Morality System. Choices that the team leader makes throughout the mission will affect the team and awards they might receive.
-Smart Item System. Each item used will have greater or lesser effects based on the class the uses it.(eq: Medi-Kit will heal more health if used by Thaumaturgist)
-Smart Experience Award System. Awards experience to players when using skills/items correctly and may penalize them if they are spamming skills randomly.

Classes

There are 6 classes at the moment. Each class is carefully designed to have a certain 'job' in the team. Here is a brief description of each class:

-Demolitions
Mainly handles explosives, his skills are focused on making effective use of deployed explosives (Claymores, Satchels, Chain Explosives) making him the class that is best suited for taking out hostiles that have large amount of health. He can also disarm and pack explosives, use the RPG and deploy an experimental device that hinders hostiles.

-Thaumaturgist
Mainly focused on healing abilities, he can restore health to squad members and heal ailments (Venoms, Fractures, Open Wounds etc.). He is also versed in Blood Magic allowing him different forms of life manipulation from hindering regeneration to devouring corpses.

-Heavy Support
The 'dps' class his skills are focused towards damage output. He can link his ammunition allowing him extended period of continuous fire and can also enter suppressive fire mode in which he can lay waste to hordes of hostiles while maintaining a stationary position. Furthermore the Heavy Support has limited pyrokinetic abilities allowing him to control fire under various forms.

-Engineer
Mainly focused on supporting the team. A physics mastermind, he can create small space-time rips allowing him to teleport all types of ammunition ranging from clips to grenades. He can also repair in the field the armor of marines, removing any mechanical impediments.

-Astral Walker
The 'scouting' class, he is responsible for scouting ahead of the team designating important targets or finding items. His astral form gives him a wide range of abilities such as transfering perception into another body, sensing nearby auras and even transfering his body into the astral plane becoming invulnerable to physical effects.

-Sniper
The sniper can shoot the furthest of all the classes, making him the best 'cover' class. He can scope ahead of the team and find important targets or load explosive bullets. He also manifests telekinetic powers allowing him a wide range of abilities such as pushing enemies out of close range, clearing debris or even shooting a telekinetically guided bullet.

Other Notes

Full list of credits is displayed in f9 section
Map is protected/optimized to reduce size just below 8mb limit
This map is also uploaded on Night of the Dead SO forums, where my name is "imeasytokill"-"IamSkilletYO" ( I`m the same person )

Keywords:
Night, Dead, survival, team, zombie, modern, winter
Contents

NotD : Final Winter 0.6e (Map)

Reviews
19:15, 13th Aug 2010 ap0calypse: Approved
Level 7
you should put tutorials in the first place noob cant understand it like the other notd..and why no loading screen?

Level 3
I decided to not include a loading screen because of size constraints. A loading picture takes up about 1Mb and I decided to use that space instead for some music for better immersion :)

I will try to figure out some method to present a tutorial in-game for players that are not familiar with Night of the Dead maps. However, I still think the best way to figure out what to do is from experience by playing it many times. The easy difficulty is there to allow players to make mistakes but still have a chance to play further, something that other NotD maps did not have and thus making the learning curve very steep. Hopefully the 'revive' system Final Winter uses will make it somewhat more beginner friendly.

Level 7
I decided to not include a loading screen because of size constraints. A loading picture takes up about 1Mb and I decided to use that space instead for some music for better immersion :)

I will try to figure out some method to present a tutorial in-game for players that are not familiar with Night of the Dead maps. However, I still think the best way to figure out what to do is from experience by playing it many times. The easy difficulty is there to allow players to make mistakes but still have a chance to play further, something that other NotD maps did not have and thus making the learning curve very steep. Hopefully the 'revive' system Final Winter uses will make it somewhat more beginner friendly.

yah but people are lazy to wait long..its better if you put ai that be awesome..

Level 2
I would like to ask something, was this map created by you and not by someone else?

Level 2
The hero abilities and concepts are taken from the game called Jericho. I really like the map, but I dont think Night of the Dead maps like being related to magic. Off topic-Abigail was the shit!

Level 1
Maybe I'm missing something :
1) malkavian.vision made a map
2) This is his first map
3) This map is awesome
4) Why won't anyone +REP him?!

No comments on the content :

- Rating : 4/5
- Voting for : Approval!

Level 11
Well I must say this is a pretty nice map.

-Nice usage of triggers for example selecting the leader by host or by random was a good idea.

-A good User Interface fits with the theme (sci-fi survival)

-Nice try with the custom soundset (Starcraft Ghost)

-Good custom made abilities

-Easy mode is way to easy in my opinion

-However there is a problem you decided to place the music as a Sound instead of actual Music so I had WC3 music running with your custom one and it didn't work out.

-Terrain is simple just like any other NOTD maps but I do like the corpses and the flickering lights you placed in the map.

This map in my opinion is defiantly Approved!

Level 2
I'll be damned if you haven't played Clive Barker's Jericho. A minigun-toting marine with control over a fire spirit, a blood mage wielding a katana, and an engineer with the ability to bend space and time. I could go on all day if I wanted to, but I don't.

Awesome map, anyway. Excellent use of custom resources, but there's just something about NotD's gameplay that I don't really dig.

Level 6
The way the consoles are handled are a bit annoying, because they take control away from the player for the full duration of the event where the hero is working on the console. There doesn't seem to be a way to cancel out if something unexpected comes up. That is very...un-fun.

To work around this, you could give the computer consoles the "select unit" ability (which it might already have) and a single-target dummy ability that targets heroes with a 10-20 second cooldown. When you select the console and use the ability on a hero, it initiates the "working on console" event rather than having that event play automatically when a player gets close enough to the console.

When the event starts, rather than setting the player's owner to neutral passive, you could grant a dummy channel ability to the hero and order the hero to start channeling it. When the hero starts channeling the "work on console" ability, set a boolean flag to true. Have a trigger that increments up the percentage complete on the console and displays the percentage with floating text as you have it, but instead have it active while that flag is set to true. Have a trigger that fires when the unit stops the channeling ability *and* when it finishes casting the channeling ability, with actions to set the boolean flag to false and remove the channel ability from the hero.

With the console itself having a cooldown of 10-20 seconds you can reduce/eliminate abuse of canceling out of the channel ability and you allow the player to both choose exactly when to start working on the console, and also allow the player to stop working on it and resume once the situation calls for it.

If it's at all possible to find MIDI versions for the imported music, that would help a lot with the file size and would let you spend resources elsewhere. You might be surprised at the quality you can get with some tracks.

Otherwise, it's an overall good map for the NotD genre. Not my cup of tea but there are certainly some nice terrain, ability, and special effects tricks. I'm very envious of your orbital strike effect!

Level 3
Console events can be canceled if you open marine menu(-m) an click cancel. It`s one of those things that doesn`t get explained anywhere, sorry.
There were many ideas that didn`t get implemented, thats why the missions rely so heavily on the console events.
I will most likely transition this map into starcraft2 and unleash all my ideas there :)

Thank you for all the positive feedback

Winimasker

W

Winimasker

It looks awesome! Terrains and models are high in graphics!
I like high quality spells!
The game-play is pretty nice!