• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Next Texturing Contest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 26
So, let's see.

we-shall-see-we-shall-see.jpg

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

I like sins. :v
Oh, and making two opposites could be cool as well.

Level 34
Seven Deadly Sins, I'm sorry, but you can't be serious about this theme, right? I'll just point out at what happened to Golem Texturing contest; 2/3 of the contest thread was arguing about what's golem and what's not. Some people still don't know what it's supposed to be, even when the contest is over.
What exactly are we supposed to make, something taken from the bible, a zombie, ... a fat greasy bastard who just eats and sleeps? "Oh no, look, fRiKy is being so uncreative!"... And since it's just 7 sins, wouldn't that make just 7 different types of skins (if we assume that more than 7 people will actually make a skin for the contest, then it's a bad thing)? I am against this idea as it will result in even bigger drama and fail, most likely, but since I probably won't even participate in the next contest, who knows, my opinion shouldn't matter that much. Someone please enlighten me and give me a full and understandable description of what a 'Seven Deadly Sins' skin is, then I might change my mind. But if you ask me, 'skin for Death Knight model' sounds like a good idea.

Level 26
Lust, Gluttony, Greed, Sloth, Wrath, Envy & Pride are the seven deadly sins.

You would just try to interprete how you could visualize one of them. I don't see how there could be a discussion.
I'll just repeat my example now: Gluttony could be visualized by a person with leftovers on his body, cream around the mouth and if you would use the abomination model, you could even make food stick out of the stomach.

this picture shows the direction of the theme quite well http://eyrieslove1.deviantart.com/a...498306?q=boost:popular seven deadly sins&qo=0. The examples shown are quite stupid for a texturing contest, but it`s your job after all to be creative

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

I think the seven deadly sins offer enough room for creative solutions, yet limits the entries enough for them to be compared. The sins are fairly characteristic, and a successful skin would be one where you don't have to guess what sin it represents. There's plentiful of reference out there as well, making it easy to find inspiration.

Beyond technicalities, though, I agree that it's a pretty stupid theme. It's loose and more of an art contest theme than a texturing contest theme. I can't really see how any of the entries could come in handy in regular maps, for instance. The sins themselves are fairly stupid as well, but hey, let's not discuss religion.

FrIkY, there's still time to suggest themes, though, so fire at will. The next contest won't open for about a month at the earliest.

A.R.

Skin Reviewer
Level 25
Another idea that could be cool - Personally Branded Units

Create a logo or insignia for yourself (like my avatar, for instance) then integrate it with a custom texture for a unit or even building. Sort of like decals on units in Starcraft II.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

I couldn't really have a personal insignia, as I grow tired of things and need to change. Heck, if it was possible, I'd change my name every six months. :v

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

The four deadly knights of water, earth, wind, fire and sins - riding on seven dead horsemen!

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Can't start it before the other ends, and we haven't really settled on a theme either. :3

Level 7
4 knights of water(1) earth(2) wind(3) fire(4) and sins?(5)
riding 7 horsemen?

4/7 or 5/7 ?

how can 4 or 5 knights ride 7 horses? let alone 7horse-men?

OH GOD.... OH GOD MY BRAIN!
My-brain-is-full-of-fuck.jpg

Well, I guess some of the knights could ride on 2 horsemen, as in like this:

Knight rides horseman, horseman rides horseman. Well, it would definitely be a mess, but well at least it explains it a little. Come to think about it, knights riding Centaurs riding Centaurs wouldn't be a good idea for a contest. Hmm...

I liked the opposites theme suggestion - Making 2 skins would DEFINITELY be new:

Two skins - Something like the "Good and Evil", "Maiden and Protector", "Master and Pet" contests from WC3C. Contestants must create two textures that are related in some way(decided by the poll). Perhaps something like "Protagonist and Antagonist".

Level 38
As a point of referance the past contest themes were as fallows:

1. Footman
2. Racial Conversion (ie human->orc)
3. Demon
4. Whitehorn's Chaos Warrior model
5. Halloween
6. Northrend/Icecrown
7. Holy/Angelic
9. Fiery Demonic/Fire
10. Arcane
11. Opposites
12. Archimonde
13. Naga
14. Dio's Model
15. Futuristic
16. Nature
17. Buildings
18. UI
19. Golem

We've had 2 demon themed contests though, so changing one of the themes a little could still work for something new. I didn't start being active here until the end of contest #12 either, and a lot of time has passed since the first contest.

Still, wev'e already done a 2-skins contest on #11, and Dio was the only person to finish it, so that would probably turn into a disaster again. We could always play around with the contest length I guess, considering it takes ~2 months from the end of one contest to the start of another.

Anyways, the 7 deadly sins is a cool idea, gives a decent amount of range to fit different ideas and styles. Not sure how successful a skin representing one could be though, as their all an action of doing something rather than a static figure.

4 horsemen would lead to...a lot of death-knight re-skins. There aren't a lot of horse rider models for that. We could do something like #1,4,12, or 14 were we just do a re-skin of the death knight, but I'm not sure limiting skins to 1 model will offer a successful theme.

The personal brand is a pretty cool idea, though that's pretty geared to a specific part of the skin. That would make for a cool SC2 icon-ish contest theme though, were the contestants make their own insignias.

Re-designing melee heroes is broad, sure someone will go for a demon hunter but I think people will tend to disperse their choice a decent amount if it's started. For contest # 17 everyone was complaining it would be filled with ancients but it wasn't. There's 24 melee heroes in game if you count the mercenary ones, that's a decent model selection. The only ones you're leaving out are Garinthos, Arthas, Jaina,
Archimond, Thrall, Grom, The Furions, and Akuma.

Maybe we could do the racial conversion idea with the melee heroes. ie If you pick the demon hunter you have to make him look like a member of the alliance, horde, or scourge. For a blademaster it would be alliance, sentinels,or scourge. For racial conversion contests I'd like to use the faction terms rather than primary race ones, as each melee "race" in warcraft is more of a combination of several, and in arguments about the theme people always seem to forget that. (so you could make the hero a high elf/blood elf/dwarf/gnome, tauren/troll, good centaur/elemental giant/chimera, or skeleton/ghost/nerubian etc. instead of just a human, orc, night elf, or zombie too).

I say we also call it contest #8, for shits and giggles. Because #8 was skipped entirely XD

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

So, uh.. bump?

After a lot of considerations, I'm thinking that redesigning melee heroes would be fun. At first I actually thought of "melee heroes" as close-combat heroes, ie not ranged, but then I realized "melee" is the term for ladder games in WC3, and that about doubles the opportunities. I say we go for it. Easier to get a lot of entries with such a broad theme.

Level 26
"Re-designing" as in doing whatever you want with the hero's skin, or "re-designing" as in recreating the skin with the hero's original concept in mind? (e.g, you won't be able to reskin a mountain king into a robot unicorn, but you could reskin him into a LotR dwarven thane or something)

Better yet, lets take that horrible idea one step further and have a "recreate wc3 skins" competition, each user has to completely recreate a wc3 skin from scratch so it looks as close to CnP as possible. Because the less original an idea is, the more FUN it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.