• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

<- Newb: "I come in peaces": Getting started...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
I just downloaded a long series of editors and converters and exporters, and I can now export models as .mdx format. However, I do not have any plugins for gmax for wc3 modelling.(only an exporter, to export to a editor which can export to another editor which can export .mdx's, all of which I downloaded.) And currently the only questions that pop up in my mind are these:

1:I don't want to have to scale my model rediculus amounts: what is a reasonable guess for the size of a footman?(as a guideline)

2:Will "standard" material work, or do I need to get plugins for a new material type?

3:How do I set up texture directories?

4:And finally, who's up for a whole bunch of fresh, modern-based modells?(I'm modelling for my maps, and I do have expierince in gmax.) :p

there is an exporter called the "dexporter script" i think for gmax, i think u dont have to convert it so many times with that one

well, i dont know which formats gmax can import, but i could send u a footman as a .3ds if u want. u can import this one as scale then

i know that standard material doesnt work for 3dsmax, u have to first modify it to blizzard material in the material editor window.

there are a lot of modern based mods already, if u are interested in joining one maybe u want to add me on msn or send me a pm, i can tell u where to go then.

u already have experience? u have any screenshots of something u modeled?

Level 2
the dexscript I have, but it doesn't like to work, I have no Idea how to use it and I've poked at it a lot of times.

I'm having hell uploading my images to image shack, so just take my word, and I will send up images if you don't believe me...

AkulaI:Completed model for bf2, about 4,000 poly count and has the detail of a 8,000 poly model. In bf2(its not complete, but the modelling part is) you can currently control the dive planes, rudder, propeller, and hatch. Has interior Conn.

Spruance:Completed, but still needs work for bf2(components such as collisions and levels-of-detail.) It is split into sections to reduce lag in-game, as it has very great detail, and awsome textures. Among the moving parts will be: the turrets, radar dishes, and mabye hatches. Has a large interior(including bridge and CIC :D )

Tu-22Backfire: Completed, has good detail and reasonable poly count, has working landing gear, working wheels, wings that will be able to fold back with afterburners, and a turret in the back. Has a very good cockpit aswell :D

Seasparrow Launcher: Completed, is a simple turret that fires SAM missiles.

bouy :D :a simple bouy

---^All models have very good detail and textures, as bf2 has very high standards^--

There are too many models to list as for those I havn't set up for any game.

Happy? :grin:

Ohright, and how do I make "blizz material"?
yes, footman would also be nice.

oh, and btw, can you make it, and if so then how, so that an object has a working turret?

Last edited:
Level 7
Oh I think he has som kind of detection bots who detect new members and ask them to introduce themselves.... I also met them and the first thing I did is to introduce mysel, I had a fear that these bots will eat my brain or something more horroristic :)

Level 2
Back on subject... I can't seem to find a toolset, anyone have a link? I need a new material in order for it to export correctly. Dexscript doesn't include that.

Status
Not open for further replies.