• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece!🔗 Click here to enter!

New to terraining. My waterfall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Hey just like to get some comments on how to improve this shot of scenery, but it is actually part of a rpg me and a mate are making hope you guys like it.

waterfall.jpg

~Jupsta

Level 24
Yea well it looks good, better then anything I could make without custom models :p My only surgestion would be to do something about the waterfall, it looks strange having the green blizzard waterfall, and then the custom blue waterfall. Change the custom one so its green as well, and it should look better.

And can you attach the image to your post please, so that it has a thumbnail? because with the style i'm using having a picture that big breaks the page a bit.

Level 13
Some of your rocks look like they are floating. Try using Ctrl + Page Down to lower them. Also it looks like one of your cattails is underwater, Ctrl + Page Up can move it up.
You can also hold shift when you place doodads to ignore the pathing. This allows you to squish doodads together.
Other than that i'd say it looks pretty good. Not a fan of the terrain raise tool though...

Level 8
One thing i enjoy doing doing, purely for asthetics, is to create a spray at the base of the waterfall.

This can be done by making a custom doodad. Have the model be of the spell Shockwave. This spell has a dust trail attached to it which is perfect for such a thing as what im talking about. Under object editor, go to art and change the tinting color of the model to 1. This eliminates a large portion of the spell effect near the dust, but the dust remains intact.

Once this is placed, resize the doodad to what you prefer, and use the raise/lower method mentioned by Herio-san to place the color part behind any doodads or below the terrain so that is hidden. Then adjust it so it achieves the foam affect you are looking for.

This may not work too great with your map, but its nice on a lot of waterfalls.

Edit: Here is an example of this

Last edited:
Level 7
Its nice but some things. The top right waterfall looks like, or is, coming out of the land, not a river.

Level 7
No, it deffinately is coming out of the land. And the other waterfall is coming out of rocks (Left side)

Status
Not open for further replies.