• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

New to AI Making: Best tools reforged 2020?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Hey everyone. So after playing around with triggers and getting much more comfortable with them (as well as other various aspects of the editor in similar fashion) I was looking to start exploring the world of AI building.

I was able to understand the generic AI you can make with AI editor in World Editor itself but I was looking to advance into making more custom AI's like you'd see for campaigns.

I've found a lot of that requires certain programs to read/write/edit Casc/Jass files and such, but a lot of the programs I'm finding seem to be older (aside from CascView) and I basically just wanted to know...

tl;dr - Which programs are a MUST for making more advanced campaign AIs that are up to date (or close to it) and will work with reforged.

Any guidance here would be appreciated and if you could provide a link to the tools you mention then + even more rep for that! <3 Thanks in advance! :goblin_yeah:

Level 23
You can make most custom campaign AI with just the AI editor. There are only small advantages to using JASS AI vs editor AI.

For example, in the frozen throne's final mission, because Kael's attack wave is written with JASS AI, if he summons the phoenix during his attack wave (mid-way between his base and your base, perhaps because he encountered some of your units on the way), then his phoenix will be added to the attack wave, whereas if it was using editor AI, the summoned unit would just stay where it was summoned.

There are many other examples, but they do not really affect gameplay too much.

Most of the campaigns you see on hive use editor AI, and even the ones that use JASS could probably be replaced with editor AI to have same the function, but that is just my opinion.

Level 6
*Bump* it's been a while and I was still hoping I could get some advice on what tools might make things easier to read/learn while still trying to get the hang of it.

Level 18
Check out the latest version of TESH, which is now compatible with Reforged. In fact, since it now has its own thing going on, one can now probably attach the program to any patch's World Editor.

Besides, the thread for it is just a few blocks away. Find comfort in coding in your very own world editor! Highlighting, function tips, and much more at your disposal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.