• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

New Packs Section (Beta)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

Very cool system; I like it a lot. This way we can pick and choose or take the whole bundle at once.

What if you only wanted to download one model in a pack? You would have to download the entire file.

The point of packs is to save the modeller the extreme boredom and the time it takes to upload 16 models and their screenshots in one night.

Besides, models (especially SFX who usually use less than 8Kb of space) and even skins are extremely low in file size and unless you have a retardly slow internet (the kind that doesn't exist anymore), you shouldn't be annoyed by downloading other models as well. Heck, you might even find a use for the other models.

All I'm saying is: as long as we can't upload a zip or rar file, this system does only half the job.

Level 32
Wait, so you can just pick and choose which models you want within the pack? Awesome! I wish wc3campaigns did that, lol.
Exactly. One may select any and all of their own resources, then add then to the pack.
No, only your models that you've already submitted in the models section.
Aye, WILL. It's intended that since all pack-included resources must also be present in one's own resource account, no pirate will be able to force-feed a pack containing one legitimate model and ten pilfered olof dinos.

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

WILL, all the models you put in the pack are put into a rar file automatically, so it fits multiple purposes.

It would be better if it was similar to the gmail attachment system. You press the "Attach another file" button and another Browse box and button appears. Then you keep doing this until you have all the stuff you want in the pack, then press upload. Sorta like the attaching-things-to-posts thing we already have.

Or maybe instead of the browse boxes and buttons there'd be "Add a model" which would open up (in a popup, for example) a window with the layout for uploading a model, which would look just like uploading a single model. When you're done with that one and uploaded it (to a temporary space), the window closes and you upload the next one.

Because at the moment it's no better than posting links in the description to other "related" resources.

Level 7
en taro edun Ralle!

Edited by Ralle: [http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=En+Taro+Adun]

so let me get this straight. the pack is based on themes? so say all dragon models will go in a pack? all the icons having to do with war2 will be in a pack? all icons from sc will be in a pack?

THATS A BRILLIANT IDEA! that cuts down on hours of searching in the models/maps/icons sections for everything relating to something!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ralle, would my idea work? Basically it has "embedded" model uploading that works as if you uploaded the models separately, but it puts the whole thing in one process.

It would be better if it was similar to the gmail attachment system. You press the "Attach another file" button and another Browse box and button appears. Then you keep doing this until you have all the stuff you want in the pack, then press upload. Sorta like the attaching-things-to-posts thing we already have.

Or maybe instead of the browse boxes and buttons there'd be "Add a model" which would open up (in a popup, for example) a window with the layout for uploading a model, which would look just like uploading a single model. When you're done with that one and uploaded it (to a temporary space), the window closes and you upload the next one.

Because at the moment it's no better than posting links in the description to other "related" resources.

It does. You can wrap up all your, let's say pirate models into a pack with the icons matching.

That's just wonderful.

But you still have to upload all the models and the icons one at a time. Packs are made so modellers don't have to do that.
All this system gives us is a quicker way to download lots of models, which is something barely anyone needs. If you want people to download lots of models faster, you could simply add a "quick download" button on the ressource display page, so people don't have to go to the ressource's page to download it.

All I'm saying is please allow us to upload lots of models faster. Either by zip files, or by Pyritie's idea (which is, BTW, perfect).

That's what the model section does... :/

Let's get things straight:
-When you make a pack, you make it so you don't have to spend an hour uploading your models and their screenshots.
-When you download a pack, it means you want most or all the models in it, and that you don't want to be bothered to individually access each ressources specific page to download it.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
I understand your frustration and the simpleness of zipping everything yourself and dumping it on our packs section.
I like it my way so moderators can judge the resources individually. This way the packs won't contain any junk.

I may make a quick upload system. But it would require a lot of work because I want my make-sure-everything-is-ok algorithm.

Level 7
I understand you don't want to upload junk, though. It's true that packs might be harder and longer to check...

I'm pretty much fine with the model section alone. Adding a pack system isn't all that urgent. So I should probably quit my whining. :)

well on a personal level i am not fine with the model section. having over 1000 things in your face, i tend to get lost :). and then start loking around at em and forget what im doing. i like the pack system better. hopefully i wont get lost in it lol.

Level 35
Well cant see the problem in uploading in zips or similar, because in my view the amount of models needed to be testet will be the same, the question is just does it really take so long time to open a zip file :huh:

And even though it creates a lot more junk that you have to upload to the model section first, bet it is easier to ignorer or unaccept one pack, then 5 of 10 models in a pack.

Anyway happy that a pack system is comming along :thumbs_up:

Level 35
The thing about zips is that the system itself tests half of what makes the model work and it gives the paths of the textures it uses and require the textures it needs.

Damn thats right... didnt thought of that.. well it could still be the same without the checking and then an option for the author to write it (textures, polies and so).

Writing the size should be a must and maybe polies too.. :bored:

Last edited:
Level 15
I haven't found any problems with the packs section.

Anyway, I think you should break the packs section into three or so themed categories. Such as:
Foliage: Any pack containing plants, trees, etc. go here.

Buildings: Any pack containing buildings or Houses or building accesorries go here.

Units: Any pack containing units go here.

Just an idea that would make it more organized. You could probably do this to the models section to clean it up a bit.

~Deathcom3s

Level 32
The present pack system includes far fewer categories and types than do the other sections, it's my opinion that those categories should also apply to packs.

The keywords, however, are author submitted (although they must be approved by moderators/mini-moderators). For now, it's best to search using the keywords until the pack labels are more fully developed.

Level 18
Couldn't you simply make the server unzip the file and then test all the models within?

-*meow*

So what's wrong with the above? Surely you can write a script which would take an uploaded pack in .zip or .rar or .7z or whatever compressed format, uncompress it, and then put each thing into it's correct resource category page with paths etc, and then add them to the pack page?

-*meow*

Level 7
So what's wrong with the above? Surely you can write a script which would take an uploaded pack in .zip or .rar or .7z or whatever compressed format, uncompress it, and then put each thing into it's correct resource category page with paths etc, and then add them to the pack page?

-*meow*

thats a mouthful! i didnt understand everything after the first sentence! lol. i wouldnt expect many ppl to understand it either, so because of that i doubt many will do taht. and ifs its as complciated as your paragraph looks then i doubt ralle would do that.

edited: ok now i get it. had to read it a dozen times. that is incredibly complicated script to write. i doubt ralle would do it. if he does thats great, but i doubt it. he has more important things to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.