• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Nest Defense

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Reactions: RedClaw
This map is defensive like the name says apart from that it is standard Melee.
You must move your forces at night or kill many creeps to reach your enemy. Try to kill Centaur Sorcerers who guard access to the island in the middle of the map - they drop a Rune of the Watcher which you can use for spying.

- 8 Players
- 16x Gold Mine
- 4x Goblin Laboratory
- 4x Tavern
- 1x Marketplace

screenshot01z.png

screenshot02t.png

Keywords:
Nest Defense, 2v2v2v2, 2vs2vs2vs2, 2 vs 2 vs 2 vs 2, 4v4, 4vs4, 4 vs 4
Contents

Nest Defense (Map)

Reviews
17:33, 13th Aug 2010 ap0calypse: Rejected
Level 18
The terrain is... empty in most of the space. Put more doodas. Also make the blizzard cliffs look better. Put some doodad at them. Generally the terrain needs more work. Additionally to the terrain I don`t like the fact that fight can take place only at the middle of them map because you made only one way to go out/in the players bases. It`s a labirynth. You should change it a little coz it`s easy to hide in you base and you are save from melee attacks (only air can be dangerous).
I also don`t like the fact that you`ve put players together. I understand it`s mainly to be played 2v2v2v2 but you should also allow FFA.
Next thing are taverns which are in bases. They should be treated like any other neutral building (shop, fountain, etc.) and should also have neutral histile protection.
And last thing: creeps. There are too much of them. It`s walking from one group to another. Also you made alone-standing groups like dragons or centaur wizards what is not good idea also.

Overall the build of the mape makes it a little bit too easy to play.
Especially you should work more at the terrain.

Level 28
I'd like to point out a few things though (I can still only look at the minimap): I think it would be a good idea to open the paths that go counterclockwise.
Then the players will have to choose to expand to one of the 2 sides they can choose from, so the possibility exists that the enemy already chose that base.
If so, then a battle can also take place in the expansions, rather than in the middle.

Now it's pretty straight-forward: everyone picks the base that's clockwise of them and then they can happily expand, not too much trouble involved.

Krisserz said:
Next thing are taverns which are in bases. They should be treated like any other neutral building (shop, fountain, etc.) and should also have neutral histile protection.
For some reason, Blizzard never protects Taverns (but only place about 1-2 taverns on most maps though).

Spike: can you also provide some screenshots in the description?
Upload some screenshots and then use this code:
HTML:
[b]Screenshots:[/b]
[hidden=Screenshots]
[img] URL of screeny 1 [/img]
[img] URL of screeny 2 [/img]
etc...
[/hidden]

Level 3
Ouuu, to much replies for me but I will try to answer them all:

The terrain is... empty in most of the space. Put more doodas. Also make the blizzard cliffs look better. Put some doodad at them.

Sorry, there WERE more doodads in previous versions of this map but I had to clear them because they affected balance and playability too much. This is my philosophy in melee maps: Rather less beauty than less balance.

(I hope that this is not the rule that map on this server MUST have at least X doodads or something like that and cliffs CAN be without any doodads)

Additionally to the terrain I don`t like the fact that fight can take place only at the middle of them map because you made only one way to go out/in the players bases. It`s a labirynth. You should change it a little coz it`s easy to hide in you base and you are save from melee attacks (only air can be dangerous).

This was exactly my purpose that there is only one ground access to each base. There are many more offensive maps on the internet and I tried to make "something different". And if you hide in your base and only wait - your enemies will clear the path to your base instead of you and they will stole "your experience" and "your items" from "your creeps".

I also don`t like the fact that you`ve put players together. I understand it`s mainly to be played 2v2v2v2 but you should also allow FFA.

Yes, as you wrote this map is mainly for 2v2v2v2 and not for FFA.

For some reason, Blizzard never protects Taverns (but only place about 1-2 taverns on most maps though).

Blizzard do not protect taverns to allow you to easily hire your first hero there without any fight with creeps.

And last thing: creeps. There are too much of them. It`s walking from one group to another. Also you made alone-standing groups like dragons or centaur wizards what is not good idea also.

That was also my purpose.

I'd like to point out a few things though (I can still only look at the minimap): I think it would be a good idea to open the paths that go counterclockwise.
Then the players will have to choose to expand to one of the 2 sides they can choose from, so the possibility exists that the enemy already chose that base.
If so, then a battle can also take place in the expansions, rather than in the middle.

Now it's pretty straight-forward: everyone picks the base that's clockwise of them and then they can happily expand, not too much trouble involved.

That was also my purpose that players can't attack until they clear the patch to the island.

Spike: can you also provide some screenshots in the description?

Good idea I will do it.

I hope that this discussion will NOT start any "flame"

Last edited by a moderator: