• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Negi Springfield - Mahou Sensei Negima

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12

- ChangeLog -

Legs corrected.
Ponytail and spetacles added.

- Old -

- ChangeLog -

Facing corrected! (Or so I hope)
Changes to the arms made.
Some verts of the legs and shorts with 90º angle collapsed.

- Old -

Based in:

Mahou Sensei Negima! 186 page 03 | One Manga
http://www.famitsu.com/anime/news/__icsFiles/artimage/2008/04/14/pc_fc_an_ne/negi01.jpg

I have done a negi model for my map, but I'm very bad at animating and texturing, so I will only do the model xD
If anyone is interested in doing any of those things please post here.

I will try to do an asuna kagurazaka model after.

The model is apparently finished, but of course still open for improvements.

(The torn effect and hair will be made using texture with alpha)

My first model made from scratch, I only edited models before. I don't think its very bad, but its not like much more can be done...

Bonus*: http://kurogane.animeblogger.net/image/manga/negima/negima_208_dark_negi.jpg (Need to be copied and paste)

*Dark Negi can be done, there is a shorts bellow the robe and the hand extend till the chest, so just need to play with animated texture + alpha and you got it.

Last edited:
Level 5
I don't know what this manga is, but it looks like it's from the same creator as Love Hina?

Biggest problem I see right away...
You see in the front viewport how it says "front"? and he's not facing front? Yeah you're gonna have a really retarded moving dude if you don't fix that =)

Anyway, your model could be a much lower tri/face count if you welded off the extra vert in the center of all your box figures. You have 4 tri sides (making a very prominent "X" sign) on each part of the legs and chest that could just as well be 2 tri sides. Also the proportions are seemingly really off. The legs are super tiny and/or the arms too long. A lot of it may be stylization but as it looks now it doesn't seem right.

Level 12

Thanks for replying!

Facing corrected! (Or so I hope)
Changes to the arms made.
The X mark on the box sides are made by the 3ds, all of then are two face only, couldn't find any 4 faced box.
Some verts of the legs and shorts with 90º angle collapsed.

//======================================

Yes, its from the same creator of Lone Hina, try reading some day, its one of the best seller in japan. (Always in top 3/5).
Obs: I don't like Love Hina.

Level 5
Oops! I see, it was just a wonderful viewport optical illusion concerning the "X" marks...
Changes look good! Legs still are short but it's your call. In the reference drawing you posted his body looks like it's in thirds proportion. torso= 1/3, thighs 1/3, calves 1/3. The model looks half and half.

Also maybe put in a plane for his pony tail and spectacles?

And yeah, Love Hina is pretty crap.

Level 12

NOOO!!
How could I forgot his ponytail... I must kill myself, in order to pay for my sins...

I though his spectacles would be just a texture, but I think a plane make its looks better in the portrait.
How can I make his ponytail bilboarded?
Also, I think he is tall for a child.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Level 5
I don't think you would want to billboard it. The only stuff I have billboarded that look good are just sphere textures, and I'm not sure how you would ever properly use some of the other billboard options (they just twirl around the camera in odd ways to me)

Just alpha out the edges in a texture and line it up with 2 intersecting planes to make a +. So I see you have a plane for the top/above view, now clone that plane and rotate it 90 degrees for the side view. With a proper alpha texture it should look fine.

Maybe the spectacle texture would be ok on his face since there isn't a lot of geometry to mess with stretching and flattening, but it is just two more tris to make it its own.

Level 12
I don't think you would want to billboard it. The only stuff I have billboarded that look good are just sphere textures, and I'm not sure how you would ever properly use some of the other billboard options (they just twirl around the camera in odd ways to me)

Just alpha out the edges in a texture and line it up with 2 intersecting planes to make a +. So I see you have a plane for the top/above view, now clone that plane and rotate it 90 degrees for the side view. With a proper alpha texture it should look fine.

Maybe the spectacle texture would be ok on his face since there isn't a lot of geometry to mess with stretching and flattening, but it is just two more tris to make it its own.

A billboarded model on all pivots will sure be horrible, but by billboarding it only on one pivot, we can make the ponytail rotate only in one axis, so it will have the same effect as a full modeled ponytail.

Something like that picture:

Attachments

• negitest.JPG
    negitest.JPG
    11.5 KB · Views: 113
Level 5
Right. I've messed with billboarding a bit before, but never could get it going how I was imagining. Suppose I didn't spend enough time with it and just quit when I got what I wanted. No doubt it has its uses.

You're asking in which way to billboard correctly?, or how to billboard using 3DS Max option? If you're asking how to billboard, it's in the User Properties if you have the warcraft art tools installed. I think under mesh properties? I'm at work now can't check to make certain but there are only a few menus in there so it wouldn't be hard to find. It won't show in the viewport (or even render) but it will show correctly under the model viewer.

Edit: I got home and was curious to check the billboarding again, but it was just how I remembered it. Your drawing is correct for Y Billboarding, but in action the effect is unwanted and silly looking. The plane rotates around facing the camera, but when you are at certain vantage points it looks really odd (any angle looking from behind) and when the camera passes from side to side the billboard will do a quick 180 to correct itself.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.