• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Needing help with Starcraft II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 21
I just got Windows 7 a few days or weeks ago and I'm just curious on how well a good computer you need too run and play Starcraft II and a Battlenet account for it as well.

Also my computer is brand new and I'm just curious about these things.
Well anyway, getting the Collector's Edition for it too and I have everything good and running properly.

I'm just asking is there any issues I should look out for installing Starcraft II on Windows 7?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
The game works best on windows 7.

Windows XP has worse graphics due to no DX10.
Vista is just a slower version of W7.

Thus windows 7 is the best you can run it on. The game is 32 bit so will not benifit from 64 bit OS but will still run as well on 64 bit OS as it would on 32 bit OS.

I run the game on ultra using my 64 bit windows 7 ultimate.

Opperating system is hardly a problem with this game. The major problem with performance and crashing is your drivers and your hardware.

Some graphic cards will overheat if run at their recommended settings so will have to be used at lower for safe play. An 8800 GT is the most common sufferer of this problem and many have had the card physically burn out (the engineer messed up who made the cooling system for the 8800 GT).

Low range budget processors will have problems running the game well. You are advised to have a multi core processor at higher than 2 Ghz clock for persistant and reliable frame rate. For running the game at ultra this is dramatically increased to a 3 GHz dual core and lower for tri / quad cores ( most/all I7 range processors should have no problem despite lower clocks due to more efficent design).

Graphic wise any new gamming card will ultra the game. Even a card as old as the 8800 GT is advised to run on high (physically can not due to overheating problem described above but still has the power to with high frame rate). Budget modern cards will only get medium with reliable frame rate and high if you axcept low frame rate for intensive combat scenes.

Laptops, even new ones, will not run the game will on ultra. Most modern laptops should run the game with varying performance but do not expect to compete with desktop users.

Very low end graphic cards will always have problem running the game with axceptable performance, but should still atleast let you play it on low.

Any card like a geforce 260 or 9800 will run the game on high if not even ultra with little problems if processor permits it.

Any card like a geforce 275 or geforce 400 series will ultra the game no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.