• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Need to make REALLY mini trees.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
Hi, having a little problem. I'm shrinking everything to 1/4 of its present size to have a bigger map for my rpg. Selection and quality is no problem camera will be just brought lower thats all.

Now, the problem is that the trees are wierd. When I try to export it as a model it just shows a white blob. And there is no field for texture in the unit editor. Is there any workaround for this?
I've removed the pathing texture and anything that could cause problems, its just the way wc3 places buildings and structures that gets me. Theres an invisible grid where no structure can be placed in between, but units can. Therefore while I have sucessfully shrunk all my units, my trees are now the size of 2 battleships...

So if someone can tell me a way to effectively shrink trees will be appreciated. I tried shrinking the undestructable barrens tree and sunken tree and those are good, but I need winter, ashenvale and various other trees as well. They are just props, as it is a battleships naval map land is just for decoration anyway so its allright if they are walkthrough. Because no one will be going on land.
Those can be shrunk and very well too. Only problem is when I try to import the tree models to it, it ends up as one white blob.

Need help please thanks.

Level 28
I don't seem to have any problems shrinking a tree...
Seems weird that changing the scale in the world editor would mess up the model (in fact: I don't believe that's even possible).

You're saying something about exporting, but I really don't know what you're talking about... why would you need to export the model to shrink it?
Anyway, the standard trees do have a texture (of course), the ashenvale tree for example is "ReplaceableTextures\AshenvaleTree\AshenTree.blp".

Level 14
He wants to place trees which aren't locked to the grid, so he's using doodads. Doodads don't have a replaceable texture field, so he's importing a model with a specific texture, similar to the indestructible trees mentioned.

How to do it:
Download Magos' Model Editor from the tools section.
Browse to the tree you want (Doodads\Terrain\AshenTree\AshenTree0.mdx for example).
Export as a .mdl file; by making sure the filename ends with .mdl
Open the .mdl in notepad.
Find the line:
JASS:
	Bitmap {
		Image "",
		ReplaceableId 32,
	}
Replace with:
JASS:
	Bitmap {
		Image "ReplaceableTextures\AshenvaleTree\AshenTree.blp",
	}
Save this file in Notepad. Don't use Save As.
Open the file using Magos' Model Editor.
Save the file as "NewTree1.mdx", emphasis on the .mdx bit.
Import it into your map and it'll do what you wanted.

Another thing, because you're not paying all that much attention to terrain, would be to make another tree model but set its pathing to a 2x2 (Barrel) instead of a 4x4. This would let you pack them in closer, and use shrubs to make it look natural. Also, using JNGP you can make maps 480x480, so there's no need to shrink anything.

Hope something I've said helps.

Level 10
It isnt even barrel its none.
And thanks I'll try that.

EDIT: IT WORKED!!! THANKS!!!

Now can I do anything about the terrible terrain quality? Zooming down to that level of camera adjustment makes it pixilated.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.