• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Need Map Protector!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
I dont want people hacking in to my game and making crappy versions so plz tell me were to get one!!
-A friend told me i could get it here but I cant find it-:cool:

Level 32
Map protection isn't prohibited at The Hive Workshop, but it's strongly discouraged. Map de-protection / un-protection discussions, however, are expressly forbidden.

I believe the tool you are looking for may be found >===> over there.

[off-topic] [self="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=360"]!ntroduce yourself to The Hive map maker #2![/self]

~ Thread moved from Requests forum to Warcraft Editing Tools.

Level 2
You wanna know why?

1. your friend is lying
2. the name of your friend? is he a member here?
3. why dont you want people to make crappy verisons, when yours it truely better?
4. why, are you posting this in the Request section?

my friend probly isnt lieing cause he made the game Rott Revenge of the titan and he has map protector on it and his name is controltheory. And of course mine will be truly better im the one who came up with the idea. And hes a member here.

Last edited:
Level 2
ty

Map protection isn't prohibited at The Hive Workshop, but it's strongly discouraged. Map de-protection / un-protection discussions, however, are expressly forbidden.

I believe the tool you are looking for may be found >===> over there.

[off-topic] [self="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=360"]!ntroduce yourself to The Hive map maker #2![/self]

~ Thread moved from Requests forum to Warcraft Editing Tools.
thanks alot

Level 7
i dont see why protecting is discouraged because when a map is unprotected yo have a bunch of weird or retarded versions of the game, like all the LOAP, or someone just changes the heroes from an area map and ads the description (Better than the original!) So if your using complex triggers you dont want others to have its good.

Level 32
Two primary reasons that most of us prefer not to protect maps are:
  • No one can learn about triggers (or any other included content) if a map is protected. Users (especially newbies) are faced with that dilemma every day.

• It's very difficult for our Map Resource Moderators to evaluate submissions of protected maps. I wont even consider downloading and testing such maps unless the author personally asks me to. When I get my hands on one that is protected and crashes my WE AND the author DID NOT make a note of it in the public Author's Description field, I usually move that map to the Ignored category.

Level 6
I cant support your first point, i started with ROC on the first day of release and started mapping. Noone else knewd anything about it and we was forced to learn it from scratch.
And i think that is the best way to learn it, ofcourse you can ask for help but just copying things like the most people do is just stupid.
And if they realy want to know then they can contact the author anyways if they realy want.
Ofcourse there needs to be a message~

And why you need to check the map in the world editor? You can just play it...
If you can jugde a map by a short look into the WE then you can do that ingame also.

I dont quite get your points there... would you mind and explain them a little bit further?

Level 10
I cant support your first point, i started with ROC on the first day of release and started mapping. Noone else knewd anything about it and we was forced to learn it from scratch.
And i think that is the best way to learn it, ofcourse you can ask for help but just copying things like the most people do is just stupid.
And if they realy want to know then they can contact the author anyways if they realy want.

If you can jugde a map by a short look into the WE then you can do that ingame also.

I dont quite get your points there... would you mind and explain them a little bit further?

That is false, many people do not understand how certin triggers work. The way you described is harder, takes much longer and causes most map makers to lose their patiance and quit. Allowing them to see the triggers will help them understand it further, even if they copy it, they have to understand the trigger itself to a certin extent to put it inside their map.

You can just copy a hero spawn trigger and paste it into your map.

"THERE NOW MY MAP SPWNZ PWNZORS HEROS."

The second point is related to the website, i will explain.

In this website, if you want to sumbit a resource (Map, model, skin, etc.) it is checked and tested by a moderator before being approved. Untill your map is approved, it will not be available for download to normal users except yourself and moderators. If you want your map to be approved faster, then it should be un-protected. So that moderators who are experts in mapping and triggering or what ever field of resource you have submitted can check to see if the map is legimate and following up to quality standards, or lacking in quality.

Your map has to be un-protected so that moderators might be able to give you suggestions on how to improve on your map, regardless if it is approved or not.

Level 16
Untill your map is approved, it will not be available for download to normal users except yourself and moderators.

Actually it appears instantly on the 'pending maps' category, and in the normal 'browse maps' category in about 3 days. If the map is not aproved it will have the blue text saying so, "this resource is still in the moderation queue". Aproved maps do not have the blue text, and they appear on the 'browse maps' category and can also appear on the front page as the 'newest map'.

If you want your map to be approved faster, then it should be un-protected.

No, just make them good and the presentation interesting :).

So that moderators who are experts in mapping and triggering or what ever field of resource you have submitted can check to see if the map is legimate and following up to quality standards, or lacking in quality.

Our resource mods are hardly experts at anything.

Your map has to be un-protected so that moderators might be able to give you suggestions on how to improve on your map, regardless if it is approved or not.

Maps dont have to be unprotected. In most cases, unprotected map = crap.

Level 6
Why don't you create a pop-up window when a user registers here that tells him to read the rules??

oh... there already is...

---

I understand why peple wants their maps protected... and i undesrstand why most mods want you to not protect your map. I learned mapping by opening up the old TD-wars ...

But if protection is for keeping the cred for being the real mapmaker protecting is not needed (of what i heard). I've read about "Watermarking" (in VG's Do's and Dont's of mapmaking), and i think that would be the perfect solution. The only problem is that i dont know how to watermark a map, and VG didnt answer my PM...

Level 6
well maybe iam just jealous caus they start with wc3 and get everything shoven up in their ass without working hard on anything. Gosh most people ask for teams so they do even less.

But, when i want my map approved i can give the Mod Team a unprotected version and can upload a protected version of the same map, or am i wrong?

About the watermark that would be something realy neat, i hope someone has infos about it.

Level 2

The thing I am also a noob at making maps I started only like 4months ago because I got bored of the games out there and I came up with a idea for a map and dont want people wrecking my idea. Like I have a freind who didnt protect his map and he wasnt done making it but he hosted it to see if people liked it. Some one took his idea and released the map without his name on it or anything so he had to hurry and make a new version of his.

Two primary reasons that most of us prefer not to protect maps are:
  • No one can learn about triggers (or any other included content) if a map is protected. Users (especially newbies) are faced with that dilemma every day.

• It's very difficult for our Map Resource Moderators to evaluate submissions of protected maps. I wont even consider downloading and testing such maps unless the author personally asks me to. When I get my hands on one that is protected and crashes my WE AND the author DID NOT make a note of it in the public Author's Description field, I usually move that map to the Ignored category.

I just dont want people stealing my idea so im going to make a clan and if they have questions they can come there and ask me or my clan members and my map will tell them were they can email me.

That is false, many people do not understand how certin triggers work. The way you described is harder, takes much longer and causes most map makers to lose their patiance and quit. Allowing them to see the triggers will help them understand it further, even if they copy it, they have to understand the trigger itself to a certin extent to put it inside their map.

You can just copy a hero spawn trigger and paste it into your map.

"THERE NOW MY MAP SPWNZ PWNZORS HEROS."

The second point is related to the website, i will explain.

In this website, if you want to sumbit a resource (Map, model, skin, etc.) it is checked and tested by a moderator before being approved. Untill your map is approved, it will not be available for download to normal users except yourself and moderators. If you want your map to be approved faster, then it should be un-protected. So that moderators who are experts in mapping and triggering or what ever field of resource you have submitted can check to see if the map is legimate and following up to quality standards, or lacking in quality.

Im not getting my map approved by anyone I and everyone on B-net can approve it and if they have questions they can ask me and I will tell them the triggers or whatever they are asking if I know.

Actually it appears instantly on the 'pending maps' category, and in the normal 'browse maps' category in about 3 days. If the map is not aproved it will have the blue text saying so, "this resource is still in the moderation queue". Aproved maps do not have the blue text, and they appear on the 'browse maps' category and can also appear on the front page as the 'newest map'.

No, just make them good and the presentation interesting :).

Our resource mods are hardly experts at anything.

Maps dont have to be unprotected. In most cases, unprotected map = crap.

Thanks only like 2 people who have answered were actually positive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 32
Well guys, each and every author has the (unqualified) right to take any and all steps that he or she feels might be nesessary in order to protect their own intellectual property from those unscroupulous haXx0rz who will steal anything from anyone, anytime. Period.

"Ways and means" exist, I already mentioned one of them.

...just copying things like the most people do is just stupid.
For my own part, I did exactly that. In order to learn how to create dialogs, multiboards, quests, and spells, I had to copy some really good examples from (unprotected) existing maps and paste them into my own. I then heavily edited those elements until I got the hang of just exactly what is required to build each. The map itself is still unfinished, meh...
In my opinion, it's necessary for me to do both in order to fully evaluate a map for creativity and originality.

But, when i want my map approved i can give the Mod Team a unprotected version and can upload a protected version of the same map, or am i wrong?
No, that's not necessary:

Community > FAQ > THW Rules > Resource Section Rules > Map Rules
What will be accepted:
  • Protected maps. Maps created using third party software or altered by the use of map protection tools may be accepted. The author's description of such maps must clearly state that the map has been protected. Protected maps that lack these warnings in their descriptions will be ignored.
Simply make a note stating that you have protected your property, no problem then!

[off-topic] map maker #2: some users have reported this thread because you 4X posted! I'll merge your posts together before someone else reports them.

Level 6
Ahh well its all biased then... maybe i just like the challenge to do something from scratch just by analyzing the spell.
Nothing about hard work~

Well then its good, but i though because you need to look into the map you need a unprotected version. Maybe you just have a way to open it anyways~

I think it would be a waste of time discussing about this with 2 total different opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.