• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Need Idea's for Spell System.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
Well another request once again for my RPG.

I am thinking and thinking but I can't get a good way to get my spells higher ranks.

My heroes have 11 spells each in a spellbook.
I can give the spells multiple ranks, and create triggers to add an ability rank once they reach a level. But I think that takes too much time. It can be done faster I think. Right?...
An other option is to copy a spell for each rank, and give the Spellbook ability multiple ranks with the 'new' spells when you level. But that takes even more time! But doesn't cost much triggers...

One other problem is, when I put a save/load system in it like other RPG's I saw on battlenet. I think when someone loads his hero with a system like that, he wont get the required spell ranks if I use the first option.

So please does anyone know a solution for this? Or is anyone able to create one?:sad:
I would like to know!

Thanks,

you could set up the save load to keep the spellbook? or you could have it set your hero level 1 and level it up untill your the level you saved as
EXE: you save at level 33
you load
you get a level 1 hero
every .1 seconds your hero gains a level untill its at level 33, as for leveling your spells im not sure but can the engeenerring upgrade work to spells in a spellbook?

Level 19
can the engineering upgrade work to spells in a spellbook?

I have no clue, but I go try it immediatelly!
And about the other idea. All I can say is brilliant!:thumbs_up: I go try that too:D Man if this works I would be so glad:D

I edit this post when I have some answers.

Thanks.:thumbs_up:

EDIT: The Engineering stuff doesn't work. I forgot engineering upgrade is a spell that replaces a spell. So if I use that, I still have to create a new spell for each rank.

EXE: you save at level 33
you load
you get a level 1 hero
every .1 seconds your hero gains a level untill its at level 33

Think this is going to become my solution. But now I first have to learn more about save/loading systems.. pffff why did I have to make a map!:D

Last edited:
Level 19
I've got the perfect solution!

It's 50% your idea and 50% mine.

When someone loads a Hero a trigger starts, and levels it to the level it has to be.
Everytime a hero levels an other trigger starts; creating a dummy that will research an upgrade called: Level 2/3/4/5/6...etc. This allows me to set level requirements to the abilities too.
However...
When a hero reaches a certain level, an other upgrade may be triggered.

Per example if a hero has a spell called Summon Water Elemental, and he reaches level 8, the trigger will create a new dummy for 3sec that researches an upgrade that increases the level of the ability by +1.

I know I can get a trigger for every ability level upgrade from each class. But I think this is alot faster, because I can merge some upgrades. And because of I have 60 different heroes, it will be alot of work to merge so much information into 1 little trigger for ability rank upgrades...

So thanks again Bloody_Turds

you helped me alot!

Status
Not open for further replies.