• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Need help with my songs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
I started 2 or 3 months ago to make some songs using my computer when I had free time... The songs I made are short and the names are just what I imagined when I heard the song because the songs have no story behind them.

I don't know how to get better, how to get that sound I want and
I hate almost every song I make...

I started with music at the age of 15 with the guitar... and started to take it more seriosly (Playing daily, signed up for lessons...) now, when im 16.

I kind of expect what people will say but I want some tips and help to improve it and make something listenable next time...

View attachment 1. Artificial Waves.mp3

View attachment 2. Stupid Fish.mp3

View attachment 3. Glass Bottle.mp3

View attachment 4. Click.mp3

View attachment 5. Left Alone.mp3

Sorry for my bad english.

Level 17
Here's my advice.

Drop the MIDI, computer stuff, pick up your guitar and strum your heart out.

You use guitars in your songs, and drums, and keys, but they sound artificial and are in perfect rhythm with each other. I hate it.

What I used to love doing is listening really closely to my favorite musicians. When I was learning Stairway to Heaven (an essential for any beginning guitarist, naturally), I'd listen real close and hear Jimmy Page's fingers lift off the fingerboard as he changed chords and lightly tap muted strings on offbeats.

It sounds natural, it flows from the musician and you cannot get that sort of sound from a computer program, no matter how hard you try.

Try making a few guitar songs (of course understanding that you can't play every damn instrument nor have them available. You could probably add those in with a program if you want to. But if you CAN play an instrument, play it, orchestrate it.)

Watch Jack White play live. It flows naturally, he doesn't even play the same way twice. That's the sort of skill every musician needs to aim for, in my opinion.

That said though, I liked Artificial Waves. If you kept it a bit more simplistic with maybe just the guitar and piano, it would've been better.

Level 7
Here's my advice.

Drop the MIDI, computer stuff, pick up your guitar and strum your heart out.

You use guitars in your songs, and drums, and keys, but they sound artificial and are in perfect rhythm with each other. I hate it.

What I used to love doing is listening really closely to my favorite musicians. When I was learning Stairway to Heaven (an essential for any beginning guitarist, naturally), I'd listen real close and hear Jimmy Page's fingers lift off the fingerboard as he changed chords and lightly tap muted strings on offbeats.

It sounds natural, it flows from the musician and you cannot get that sort of sound from a computer program, no matter how hard you try.

Try making a few guitar songs (of course understanding that you can't play every damn instrument nor have them available. You could probably add those in with a program if you want to. But if you CAN play an instrument, play it, orchestrate it.)

Watch Jack White play live. It flows naturally, he doesn't even play the same way twice. That's the sort of skill every musician needs to aim for, in my opinion.

That said though, I liked Artificial Waves. If you kept it a bit more simplistic with maybe just the guitar and piano, it would've been better.

Thank you. It feels also better to play something on the guitar and the computer can never replace the sound of it, I will try that.

Level 35
Here's my advice, and it is the key to becoming a better composer: listen. Listen like you never have and pay attention to WHY you like the things you hear. Once you know what you like, imitate it. Think of it this way: You're building a toolbox full of musical devices and gadgets to use when making songs. The more you listen, the more you imitate, the more you will have.

Listen to chord progressions, analyze chords, dissect your music to its barebones and work your way up. Then, you will be able to see how everything works together and when you write music, you will actually be able to execute what you listen. As you said, you have trouble putting the sounds your head into reality. By listening more, imitating more, playing more -- it will eventually come to you naturally. Best of luck!

Btw, I noticed you really like four-chord progressions, which is great because you can keep overlapping new parts due to its cyclic nature. However, if you want to take your music to another level, do experiment with longer and complex chord progressions, key changes, accidentals and other stuff like that.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
They're cool. That's how I started out but you're a little bit more advanced.

Just do what the others said and maybe sleep with music too. Modify the sound until you feel you like it. And always work your brain on stuff that can mix with that or stuff that can't mix with the loop. Just do random stuff.

Level 7
Thank you all.
I started to listen why I like the songs it's interesting because it really helps alot, also I started to practice Guitar for more hours each day.
I will certainly try to experiment more.
It's strange how I started to like music because 2-3 years I didn't care then I started with listening to music and changed alot genres... wanted to to play my favorite songs so I started playing the guitar... I wish I would realize earlier how fascinating music can be...

Level 35
Good to hear Textor. Experimentation really helps you find your inner "voice" -- it helps you develop your style.

I definitely agree with you as well on realizing earlier how amazing music can be. I only got really interested in music about 4 years ago as well. I wish I started when I was 3 haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.