• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

[vJASS] Need help with an old Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 26
It's not a bug. You need to learn the art of debuging and such.

I have used test map from topic you have had linked earlier.
The fact that usage of GetWidgetLife condition removed the problem shouldnt have suprised you nor anyone else who looked at your group creation criterie. Yeah, there is none.

You kill dummies instead of removing them. While multiple Chain Fires are under way, multiple dummies appear, thus they are added to target groups and since those are killed and the end of effect their life becomes 0 and are still aviable targets for a couple of seconds. Since FirstOfGroup isn't precise function, it will mostlikely target dummies and with Shift method the chance of actually targetting dummies rises (more dummies on map).

There are several ways to eliminate the problem - and GWL it's the most accurate one. You need to add conditions for unit to be added into group. I have entered additional debug messages to let you know where the problem lies. If you still will be unable to fix your problem with this knowledge, let us know in this topic.

By the way - bump is better option then creating new thread.

Attachments

• [vJASS] Ultimate vJASS Learning.w3x
    63 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Level 16
It's not a bug. You need to learn the art of debuging and such....

I thought that making the dummy with the Locust and Invulnerability will make them un-selectable via FirstOfGroup() function.

There are several ways to eliminate the problem - and GWL it's the most accurate one.
What is GWL ?

By the way - bump is better option then creating new thread.
The post has been locked.

<<< EDIT >>>

GWL: GetWidgetLife no need to answer now

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I thought that making the dummy with the Locust and Invulnerability will make them un-selectable via FirstOfGroup() function.
A Locust unit acts the same as any other unit when in a group (nothing stops FirstOfGroup from returning a Locust unit). Locust units are ignored when populating groups using area searches and only when using area searches (player searches do include Locust units in the result unless they are specifically filtered out). A reason for this might be that Locust units have a field position but as far as the game engine is concerned are not on the field so when searching for units in an area on the field they are not seen. Player based searches do see Locust units as they are always in the set of units a player controls. This probably means that Locust units being ignored from area searches is a game bug (it is not intentional and down to implementation).

Level 16
A Locust unit acts the same as any other unit when in a group (nothing stops FirstOfGroup from returning a Locust unit). Locust units are ignored when populating groups using area searches and only when using area searches (player searches do include Locust units in the result unless they are specifically filtered out). A reason for this might be that Locust units have a field position but as far as the game engine is concerned are not on the field so when searching for units in an area on the field they are not seen. Player based searches do see Locust units as they are always in the set of units a player controls. This probably means that Locust units being ignored from area searches is a game bug (it is not intentional and down to implementation).

Sorry, if I trade your answer with more questions. But, what is player search and area search as I don't completely understand what you said except that nothing stops FoG from returning any unit ?

Status
Not open for further replies.