• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Naga Brute Pack (WoW)

This bundle is marked as lacking. It fails to meet the standard requirements and may only have minor use.
Ported by me upon a request by pm; credits to Blizzard.

Special thanks to Mr Ogre man for adding team colors and for detecting and fixing a bug in the Stand animation while he was at it.

Update 10/2/20: Added swim animations and two recolors with screenshot icons.

Update 10/3/20: Uploaded Mr Ogre man's team color addition, along with his preview screenshot. Also I made the jaw not stick out awkwardly in the Stand 2 animation.
Previews
Contents

Naga Brute (Dark) (Model)

Naga Brute (Light) (Model)

Naga Brute (Original) (Model)

Naga Brute Icon (Dark) (Icon)

Naga Brute Icon (Light) (Icon)

Naga Brute Icon (Original) (Icon)

Naga Brute Portrait (Dark) (Model)

Naga Brute Portrait (Light) (Model)

Naga Brute Portrait (Original) (Model)

Reviews
FeelsGoodMan
Must meet these requirements: Must have optimized animations for Warcraft III. All animations must have the same start/end keyframes and must have names that can be utilized by Warcraft III (not counting custom scripts that can set animation by...
Level 12
I know it is a WoW model, but the textures are still too ugly. Put next to the Reforged Naga and it looks bad.

Level 2
I don't know how I would do that. You'd have to find a way to add some component onto the model that can be given the replaceable color, and then it would probably be a bad fit with the HD part of the model.
I don't know how replaceable textures are done, but the orange fins would be the ideal place for TC.

Level 9
Maybe wrap a simple set of bracers around his arms and TC them?
If I do that, the difference in quality between the HD part and the bracers would look pretty bad.
I don't know how replaceable textures are done, but the orange fins would be the ideal place for TC.
It might be possible, but I don't know how to do TC as a recolor while retaining original texture. And if I just replaced the fin texturing with solid TC it would look terrible.
Odd quirk, but this big boy doesn't have swim or submerge animations. I understand its because its a WoW rip, though. I wonder how hard/easy it would be to jury-rig one in? IDK, it isn't game breaking.
WoW does have walk swim, stand swim, and death swim animations for the big boy, but I don't know if it's worth increasing the file size to add them. He looks like a land-dwelling naga to me :p

Level 2
It might be possible, but I don't know how to do TC as a recolor while retaining original texture. And if I just replaced the fin texturing with solid TC it would look terrible.
Does WC3 support transparancy and multi-layer textures? If so the original fins colour could be edited to be semi-transparent, and be placed ontop of a TC layer.

WoW does have walk swim, stand swim, and death swim animations for the big boy, but I don't know if it's worth increasing the file size to add them. He looks like a land-dwelling naga to me :p
You could always add a second clone variant with the swimming animations for those that would like it, giving the alternate between swimming or land only lower filesize.

I've added some team colour to the spikes. The fins can't be coloured because they already have transparency, so I had to tweak the .blp to add an alpha channel and team colour.

Now all we need is the BTN and DisBTN icons.

Credits to BardBord for the rigging and to Blizzard for the model, obviously.

Attachments

• nagabrutecolour.jpg
    nagabrutecolour.jpg
    394.7 KB · Views: 116
  • NagaBrute.mdx
    1.4 MB · Views: 88
  • NagaBrute_Portrait.mdx
    343.4 KB · Views: 76
  • Nagabrute2.blp
    568.1 KB · Views: 66
Level 7
The model looks great, true thing is that something to see the team color would be great. It's would be great ! Anyway, good job, love dat model :D

Changelog:

-Updated the textures and added Team Colour to the 3 models.
-Fixed Stand-2 animation (origin was off from stand-1, so the model did a little "jump" after finishing the stand-2 sequence).

Bugs/Comments:
-The model still lacks a corpse. I may do it soon-ish.
-The models may require some extra love to make them different from each other (bigger spikes, coral shoulderpads...). Again, not that hard and I may do it soon.

To add the team colour, just change the .mdx and .blp paths to these ones. The names are the same, and the portrait doesn't have team colour anyway.

naga.jpg

Attachments

• NagaBruteDark.mdx
    1.7 MB · Views: 68
  • nagabrute_dark.blp
    509.2 KB · Views: 46
  • nagabrute_light.blp
    661.6 KB · Views: 54
  • NagaBruteLight.mdx
    1.7 MB · Views: 76
  • nagabrute.blp
    551.7 KB · Views: 57
  • NagaBrute.mdx
    1.7 MB · Views: 86
Level 9
Changelog:

-Updated the textures and added Team Colour to the 3 models.
-Fixed Stand-2 animation (origin was off from stand-1, so the model did a little "jump" after finishing the stand-2 sequence).
Great! I updated the bundle.

The model still lacks a corpse. I may do it soon-ish.
When/if you get around to this, tell me and together we'll make this compete for the position of Most Frequently Updated Model on Hive. :D

(bigger spikes, coral shoulderpads...)
Not sure about this; I think it would be best to leave without adding new components. If you want, you could post an attachments model separately and I can link it in the description.

Level 9
Good question. I don't know how many of the people using this model want it for reforged. It may be best to just leave it as is, since adding a corpse is relatively easy to do on one's own. I don't want glow for this model, as I expect it will mostly be used as a non-hero unit.

Nagas lack heroes, though, so maybe someone wants to have this one. If anyone needs it, I can do it in an afternoon.

Btw, how do you rigg wow models? I've been trying to with cascviewer and cascexplorer but to no avail (I can only see lists of random numbers and letters, not models). I've been able to extract .blps from Heroes of the Storm, tho, but I'm completely lost with wow models.

I can't upload through the inbox (I guess it's because I'm new here), so here's the models you asked (both warden and maiev):

Have fun!

Attachments

• maiev_main.blp
    275.9 KB · Views: 38
  • Maievcape.blp
    176.1 KB · Views: 38
  • maievreforged.mdx
    4.8 MB · Views: 58
  • Maievweapon.blp
    257.6 KB · Views: 37
  • warden_cloth.blp
    195 KB · Views: 39
  • warden_hair.blp
    132.2 KB · Views: 34
  • warden_main.blp
    264.4 KB · Views: 41
  • warden_weapon.blp
    221.3 KB · Views: 40
  • wardenreforged.mdx
    1.4 MB · Views: 62
Must meet these requirements:
  • Must have optimized animations for Warcraft III. All animations must have the same start/end keyframes and must have names that can be utilized by Warcraft III (not counting custom scripts that can set animation by index). If you want to submit a model that retains all of its default WoW animations you are encouraged to upload it separately, and link it in the description. - The swim animations are too high, please lower the unit down so the arms are at least somewhat submerged. Now the arms are flapping in the air. Please make the Spell animation have the same start/end keyframes.
  • Must have death, decay/dissipate, stand, stand ready, walk and attack animations as a bare minimum. Exceptions can be made where it's natural to make an exception (for example a stationary attack unit without a walk animation is fine).
  • Must have a working portrait.
  • Must have attachment points.
  • Must have death sounds.
  • Must have footsteps/footprints if applicable.
  • Extents must be properly calculated.
  • Normals should be recalculated to remove any dark/black areas (if any). This can be done easily with RMS (Retera Model Studio Reforged Hack).
  • Must be properly scaled (WoW models are often way too small) so attachments and projectiles are also properly scaled.
  • All materials must have the correct filtering mode.
  • If the model has a dissipate animation it must have a dissipate sound in the dissipate animation.

These are optional things the resource submitter should think about that will improve the ported model (for animated models).
  • Particle emitters on models that originally have particles in the source game is a big plus.
  • Make a portrait animation instead of a separate _Portrait model.
  • In case the model uses fabric headgear (such as various bandanas etc) try to attach the bottom part of the bandana mesh to the chest bone so the cloth doesn't clip through the chest, but rather stick to the chest while the upper part follows the heads' animations.
  • The models should be optimized using Mdlvis with everything checked except for "Increase compressibility (MDX Only)" as that function is faulty.
  • Textures should be renamed with a prefix to make imports easier, and to be more structured. For example a human male warrior body texture could be; HMW_Body.blp.
  • All textures can be saved with 75% compressibility to further reduce file size.
  • Footstep sounds are a big plus, especially with big models that would obviously make sound when moving around.
  • Splats in death animations is recommended.

--------

Please revise the things marked in red. The optional changes are not requirements, but would be a nice addition.

Set to awaiting update.