• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

My [Unamed] Terrain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
I don't know if its allowed to say that this is one of my very first terrain. I would like you to give me tips, comments, about my terrain. It would be greatly appreciated, since it could/would help me improve my terraining skills :p.

Also, this is the first time I have been working with the Raise/Lower tool, same with the fog. Can you give me more useful tips regarding the fog/s?

attachment.php

Thanks

Edit: Added a spoiler, since the image is huge.

Attachments

• Preview.jpg
    Preview.jpg
    670.2 KB · Views: 747
Level 6
What kind of rocks do you prefer?

Also, what is the meaning of 'atmosphere' that members say of a terrain. Is that the sky or the environment?

Level 13
It's a good start, I think, but this really needs some major improvements.
I see some floating rocks (they anyway look like they're floating), unrealistic trees, weird fog.
I'd say, redo everything, create a new map and make it again. But this time, use imported models and watch some other terrains. Maybe this kind of terrain is a bit too hard to start with.

Level 6
Thanks for your answer, As I said, I don't know how to work with the fog yet. In the floating rocks part, I also did noticed that. This is my 2nd terrain ever made. I will start using UTM (Ultimate Terraining Map) then, and rework the whole thing out. Your answer is highly appreciated. I will post my remade of this thing and see if I had any improvements.

+rep to Squidle and takaneji

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
As they said the stones are floating. Reglate their height by selecting them, holding down ctrl and pressing pg up or pg dn untill you're satisfied with the outcome.
As for the atmosphere it pretty much means the vibe you get by the terrain in general.
Here's something you should treasure greatly: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/terrain-board-267/ultimate-terraining-map-3-0-a-45316/
Use that ALL the time, it's superb to work with.
Check out some leading terrainers works to get a feel on what a good terrain looks like (notice camera angles, choice of fog, skies, doodad placement, choice of motive etc)
Here's a link to the terrain galleries on this site: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/terrain-board-267/complete-list-terrain-galleries-134047/
Keep trying and you'll improve rapidly :smile:

Level 6
Right now, I'm gathering ideas from pictures. And will do my 3rd terraining ever after I am finished gathering ideas. My first terrain was a dungeon entrance, this is my 2nd, and my 3rd as the future.

Level 6
My 3rd Works

Okay, here it is, I know I suck, and as for my 3rd terrain, and the first time I used imports same with UTM.

attachment.php

Comments, Suggestions, and Tips are highly appreciated. Also, can anyone tell me how to fill up those empty spaces that I left behind :(.

Attachments

• Customies1.JPG
    Customies1.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 695
Level 9
your third work needs alot of fog ...
since it was a forest, try to add a green fog which is included in UTM.

adds some ferns at the edge of rocks, and some mushrooms at the edge of hollow trunk(or whatever it's name :D)
don't worry to spam some trees, because ... it's a forest :D

Level 13
It's way better than your first!
There should be a little more trees, don't spam it too much. And yes, maybe a little dark green fog with some butterflies or something.

Anyway, it looks really good, compared with the first one.
Try to improve this one a lil' more, then focus yourself on a new terrain with another theme!

Good job.

Level 6
Thank you very much, I don't understand the 'butterflies' that you are referring to, I didn't add some mushrooms since I was having a difficult time finding the original blizzard doodads, I'll try to add some ferns though. Thank you very much, please be more specific at the butterflies part. I'm trying to make a sewer terrain, but I have no idea how, I can't see sewer vents rusty old models inside the UTM, could you tell me how its made and the sewer walls? Are only those raised walls and applied a custom tileset for its job?

+rep to DeftheLynn & Squidle (Edit sorry I can't :()

Level 9
Thank you very much, I don't understand the 'butterflies' that you are referring to, I didn't add some mushrooms since I was having a difficult time finding the original blizzard doodads, I'll try to add some ferns though. Thank you very much, please be more specific at the butterflies part. I'm trying to make a sewer terrain, but I have no idea how, I can't see sewer vents rusty old models inside the UTM, could you tell me how its made and the sewer walls? Are only those raised walls and applied a custom tileset for its job?

+rep to DeftheLynn & Squidle

for the butterflies, you can found it from "faerie fire" spell effect buff. use that model for a doodad.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
For your third terrain I sudgest you try this one out: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/general-mapping-tutorials-278/terrain-advanced-lighting-53574/
The picture is lacking in interest and a nice sky with some nice lighting can really add to that interest. As for the sky, try tinting the fog doodad in a fitting color and place it close to your camera so it covers the entire picture. Then tint the uber cloud model quite dark and add those in the background. Never fails!
Anyways, alot better than your first one! :smile:

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
For your third terrain I sudgest you try this one out: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/general-mapping-tutorials-278/terrain-advanced-lighting-53574/
The picture is lacking in interest and a nice sky with some nice lighting can really add to that interest. As for the sky, try tinting the fog doodad in a fitting color and place it close to your camera so it covers the entire picture. Then tint the uber cloud model quite dark and add those in the background. Never fails!
Anyways, alot better than your first one! :smile:

Level 6
Thank you, can you give me a new genre that I can proceed after I'm doing at the forest genre theme?

Level 13
I suggest you not to start with the theme Lava or Snow/Ice.
Try to make a house or something, or a farm/small village.

You can also try to create something else, but try to choose a theme where you can use a lot of doodads. Because for a volcano, there aren't that many models for. It's quite hard aswell.

Level 23
I guess it's not really about: choosing a topic, creating something and go like: "okay, now i have done forrest, now I can go on"

It's more like a feeling: do whatever comes to your mind, this will most likely help you toimprove by yourself automatically and is way more funny, and interesting than only sticking to topics.

Level 13
I guess it's not really about: choosing a topic, creating something and go like: "okay, now i have done forrest, now I can go on"

It's more like a feeling: do whatever comes to your mind, this will most likely help you toimprove by yourself automatically and is way more funny, and interesting than only sticking to topics.

There hes got a good point. Once you've done a forest, it doesn't means you should never create another forest again.
Try to make it multiple times, but with different things.
But, however, you will get bored of it very quickly, because you've already done it. But, yeah.. Just create another terrain :p

Level 6
Yes, I mean that, what is the next genre that I'm going to start with after I mastered making a forest terrain.

Level 6
I think whats up is totally up to you. Sometimes I just gather
inspiration by browsing through the terrain section till I finally
got an idea. But I suggest to do something close to the forest,
maybe a plain beside the forest or a house, as someone mentioned
before. By the way your second terrain really looks great compared
to your first one. Nice to see you improving :xxd:.

Level 6
Thanks a lot, now I'm doing another forest terrain, but this time, a dark one, I don't want to make a terrain that is the same from the previous terrain. After I'm done mastering the forest type terrain, I'm going to move on to a snowy one, a snowy forest :D.

BTW I dislike making multiple topics in what just my terrain look like, thats why I keep sticking to this to avoid that. Thanks :D.

Status
Not open for further replies.