1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. The Highway to Hell has been laid open. Come along and participate in the 5th Special Effect Contest.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

My thoughts about itemization and crafting

Discussion in 'Gaias Retaliation ORPG' started by Zwiebelchen, Dec 8, 2014.

1. SHBlade

SHBlade

Resources:
    Resources:
    1. AH thing is bad - game will become even easier and shorter than now.
    2. Upgrades>Crafting - cuz i think gear upgrades are better reward for farming mats than just piece of equipment. Also if u mind giving more than one combination of upgraded stats (f.e. I - +1 str +5 sp; II - +3 int; III - +2% eva +3 str) on a single item, it will put diversity into the game, which is good thing.

2. Ihazdialup

Ihazdialup

Resources:
    Resources:
    Im just wondering if there would possibly be a way to add an ability or something to either the actual character or backpack or mat bag or something for upgrades to items rather than creating a whole new item, because with every upgrade or different upgrade path a whole new item would have to be created.

So im wondering if theres a way to give the chracter an ability that would have it be so that player X has item Y in their inventory player X gains a Z bonus to strength (or whatever the upgraded version does), and the ability would come from using the recipe with the required mats in the inventory rather than actually making a whole new item....

3. Zwiebelchen

Zwiebelchen

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Don't worry, I understood you very well. It was actually possible to trade items within a game to characters that had not been loaded before the item dropped. I actually went out of my way to prevent players from doing that (hence the additional restriction), as many players felt that this trivialized gearing of twinks.
    I know that the holy trinity thing is a problem, especially if the average group only has 3-4 players, not 5, but that's also why I try to establish zerkers as a possible third tanking class and bards as a possible third healing class.

The impact on the save/load system would still be the same, so there's no real point in doing that. Also, I feel this would break immersion a little.
    Let's not worry about the save/load system too much here. Adding 20-30 upgraded items to the game won't really break the system. If we really reach a point where saves get too long, there is always the option to seperate character saves from stash saves. This would shorten the codes by at least 40% (and triple the item capacity of the game).
    This feature will come sooner or later anyway, as it would allow me to increase stash capacity even further (and include a material stash).

4. Jumbo

Jumbo

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hehe I can fully understand now why an AH wouldn't work. But you know me, always write these long suggestions that may or may not work. Think of it as brainstorming :p.

Anyway, I agree with your ideas on upgrading/crafting. But I hope you will let the current crafting items stay in any case since they are enjoyable to craft, especially at low levels.

5. Shamu

Shamu

Resources:
    Resources:
    Would it be possible to have a bag with fixed positions for gear slot, so something like

1 2
    3 4
    5 6

with 1=weapon, 2= offhand and so on, and to then craft upgrades that go into that specific bag, not for the item itself? So basically upgrading a slot rather than an item. This would allow for fewer items, since there would technically be no upgraded items, only the slot-specific upgrades. This would mean that to have several differently upgraded items of one base item, you would not have to farm the item several times, you would only have to craft the different upgrades. This could allow for more flexibility, since the crafts are not bound to an item.

It would suck to get a really good item and then upgrade it, find out that the upgrade would probably be way cooler and have no option to remove previous upgrades. However, this could be fixed by including a downgrade option, but this would be less forgiving if you would lose the initial upgrade cost (but I think it's OK if it is somewhat unforgiving, given that you should have a motivation to think before you craft).

6. Zwiebelchen

Zwiebelchen

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    That would suck, imho. Simply because those items would lose their 'enchant' as soon as you unequip them, etc.... i think just going with a fixed set of items upgradable looks and feels better in the long run.