• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

My Second Short Story: Beyond The Shovel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
Well, I'm kind of writing this story in order to help me improve my command of the English Language, comments, criticism and advice will be appreciated. Also do note that the story would contain some Warcraft Lore, so expect many familiar events. It will also be edited constantly, if the story has been "Cut Off" along the way, it could mean that there's a problem with my Internet Connection, but don't worry, I'll continue with it once it's fixed. Also, every chapter is like a single page of a comic book, with many pictures, but it only shows the particular scenes of whatever happens, so the chapters would usually be quite short in the beginning. Once the story goes more in depth, I will increase the size of each chapter and squeeze as many exciting events into one chapter as much as possible. Stay tuned!

Around The End Of The Week (Friday, Saturday Or Sunday) Or The Month, There Will Usually Be A Longer Chapter Which Will Have More Content.

Last Updated On Tuesday, November 8, 2011, 4.10 P.M. [Version 2.1]

Notice Board
My examinations are just about over guys, one final paper to go and I'll finally able to get this started again!
Act One: A Kobold's Life

Prologue

Several years had passed since The Second War came to a halt, great nations have been reduced to rubble and numerous beings have emerged from the shadows since. Unknown to many, under the very Capital of Lordaeron was an abandoned mine. Home to some of the strangest looking beings to roam the Eastern Kingdoms, they disappeared after it was abandoned about five years ago when the Alliance Peasants proclaimed that the gold ores inside the mine had been depleted after many mining trips. However, deep below the forsaken mine was the home to many of its previous inhabitants -- The Kobolds.

Chapter One: Let There Be Dirt

Muck and dirt fell onto the ground as he tirelessly impaled the rocks in front of him. Grease and gravel covered his pinkish face and body. He was a little tiny compared to the others, along with his shovel shaped snout, a rat-like tail, short whiskers, palm and feet, each of these characteristics made him rather different. This nameless Kobold was already stressed out before the day had even begun.

"So much to mine, so little time." was the only phrase running through the mind of this little runt. It was barely two years since he started mining and he had already gotten his brown gloves torn, beige shoes broken, green shorts tattered and red shirt worn out.

From birth, his parents had lost him to the Spadesnouts after they fatally wounded the both of them in an attempt to recruit new Tunnelers by forcefully taking him away. Ever since then, he had forgotten what his name was, or the other events which occurred during his past, due to the trauma and a spell which put him under the state of confusion.

"Get back to -- grunt -- work, runt" snorted Raveel, the brute of the Spadesnouts, after catching a glimpse of the unnamed Kobold staring into space.

Glaring at Raveel, the pitiful rat then went back to his job obediently, not having a single clue as to why he was doing it for the Spadesnouts in the first place.

Chapter Two: When There's A Candle, There's A Way

With a deafening thud, the unnamed Kobold shoved his pickaxe onto the ground beneath.

"I'll call it a day, then." He thought as he glanced at the Tunnelers around him packing up and leaving.

Something was different. He watched as the tunnels became dimmer and dimmer with each leaving Kobold,

"Why was this so?" the curious creature wondered. Stumbling carelessly as he tried to feel his way around the showy, he tripped over something.

"Somebody must've dropped this." he assumed, until he saw that there was nobody left but himself. Being left alone, he decided to examine the object. The material used to coat it felt fairly smooth, almost like -- wax. Picking it up with his tiny hand, he noticed how it was made so that heat could be conducted only at the tip of it.

Curiously, but cautiously, the little Tunneler used his rough and miniature fingers to create a spark by friction onto the end of the waxy object. A sudden burst of flame emerged and caught his attention. This interesting object had amazed him, he had truly never seen this form of -- Contraption -- in his entire life. Holding on to the burning stick, he strolled excitedly along a passage of that underground cavern back to his burrow.

Chapter Three: To Dig Or Not To Dig

It appeared as if the luminous glow of that object was starting to fade away. It was ages since this Kobold had seen the light of day -- Or any light at all, for that case. He could hear the snorts of the other Tunnelers as Raveel had abruptly woken them up after two hours of slumber to start mining again. Reluctantly, he grabbed the pickaxe next to him and proceeded to his usual mining spot.

After several thrusts into the colossal rocks, he noticed that the flame on the waxy object he carried in the pouch on his back had been extinguished, but somehow, there was still a faint glow, but it wasn't coming from the object. Slowly, his eyes traced the beam of glimmer that seemed to be illuminated from something within the rocks he had just dug. Carefully, he lifted his pickaxe and prepared to pierce into the craggy surfaces surrounding the source of the light.

Chapter Four: Quick To Glow, Slow To Know

With a mighty heave, the rocks in front of that little Kobold shattered into miniature pebbles, causing a mixture of sand, dust and dirt to disperse into the atmosphere around him.

This time, the ray of light became more noticeable to him, and hopefully not to anyone else. Using his tiny hand to sweep the muck away from the object, he managed to get a better look at it. The green and luminous object was yet another wonder to him, for all his life of mining, he had never encountered any form of gold or copper which had such raw beauty. With a minute amount of force, he plucked the object out of the rocks, and started to examine it.

"It had just been two days, and already I've come across two interesting items," he reflected "or maybe this could just be another weird dream." After slapping himself to ensure that he was still conscious, he placed the object into his brown pouch and continued mining, wondering what other surprises would await him during the rest of the day.

Chapter Five: Gemstone In A Haystack [Monthly Chapter]

The hours went by quickly and soon after, the little Tunneler was already fastening the rocks he mined onto his sack, while leaving the extraordinary gem in the pouch where he stored his valuables. As it glistered inside his palm while he was about to place in into his pouch, it attracted the attention of an Elder Tunneler who was mining nearby. Sensing the curious Tunneler approaching, the puny Kobold tried hiding the jewel beneath his fingers out of desperation.

However, to no avail, the aging Kobold spotted it and asked, "Is that... What I think it is?". Shaking his head like a possessed cow, this meek little creature squeezed the glowing object even tighter. "Let me see that!" With the force of a Brute, he swiped the item and examined it throughly.

"So it is," the geezer finally claimed, "This is the rare Deep Peridot many of the Alliance Peasants mining here have spoken of." Numerous questions flashed through the mind of that puny Kobold.

"Deep... Peridot?" He wondered once more. Almost instantly, memories began to flood his thoughts, images of his parents-- No, his siblings, being brutally slaughtered one at a time. He couldn't take it anymore. A spine tingling snarl echoed through the cavern walls as the seemingly weak runt cried out of his sorrow.

"I remember now." Hatred filled his eyes as he picked up his pickaxe and swung it into a rock in a fit of anger, scattering many bits of the earth everywhere and completely ignoring the old Tunneler, who apparently had fled after seeing the sudden rampage. Amazingly, he managed to sort his belongings and dragged himself back to his den.

"I, Shovel, descendant of the Greenwhiskers, will get my revenge..." He muttered under his breath as he disappeared into the darkness of the caves.

Act Two: Shovel's Malicious Past

Chapter One: The Tragic Secret

The sound of rain echoed within the cavern corridors as miniature lumps of grime and mud seeped through the cracks leading to the somewhat distant surface.

"Are... Are they gone yet?" asked a trembling Dowloze, pressing his pointed ears onto his cheeks.

"The tremors stopped, I think we lost th--" A ear splitting screech shook the tunnel, interrupting Parcot. The distinct odor of arachnathid venom filled the air, frightening the two kobolds even further.

"What do you think they want from us?" Dowloze questioned, keeping his volume as low as possible.

Panic began to set into the atmosphere.

Parcot hesitated for a split second, surprised at his comrade's query. A tsunami of thoughts began to flood his mind. Pausing once more to decide on his answer, a second piercing cry echoed through the cave, leaving him with no choice. Reluctantly, he reached into his broken pouch, pulling out a palm-sized, somewhat florescent object. "I think this is the reason."

Chapter Two: To Call A Spade A Spade

Even under the dim, lantern-lit tunnels, this glowing material still looked perfectly clear, as if it without a single trace of dirt or tempering.

"How does that pebble actually have a part to play in all this ruckus?" Dowloze mocked, unwilling to acknowledge the worth of the object that Parcot believed in.

"They call this the Deep Peridot." Parcot explained, "I'm not sure what it does, but one thing I do know is, all these problems happened ever since I found this lump of..." Getting too carried away, he attempted to smash the gemstone on the cavern wall in a fit of frustration, only managing to send a tiny fragment into the air.

Interrupting the Kobolds once again was a third holler, however, this one sounded less audible, albeit distant.

"What the-- Did you hear that?" Looking at the chipped fragment, Dowloze continued, "Could this crystal thing really help us out?"

Parcot on the other hand, giving a snort of approval, felt that something was amiss.

Unfortunately, his instincts were right.

Chapter Three: All Your Ores Are Belong To Us

It was all too silent for a moment.

All of a sudden, the ground beneath Dowloze erupted, sending massive chunks of the earth, and him, scattering about the narrow cave section.

Slamming forcefully onto the irregular, pointed walls of the tunnel, Dowloze let out a cry of agony in a pathetic attempt to ease his pain.

"Dowloze!" Parcot squealed as he barely dodged an oncoming rock, "Where are you?!"

The earthen dust only made matters worse for them, considering that neither of them could even locate their way around. Before Parcot could merely begin to steady himself, another tremor struck. This time, the quake was followed by an emerald, snake-like reptile emerging from the hole where Dowloze stood a while ago. With the stench of arachnathid venom becoming even more concentrated, Parcot could only hope for the best.

Out of a corner of his eye, Parcot caught a glimpse of a shimmering object in the midst of the fog. Assuming that it was the Deep Peridot he had seen, Parcot bit his tongue and made a dash towards the glow. Finally able to make out the blurrish shape of Dowloze, he heaved a sigh of relief under his breath.

However, as he advanced towards his companion, he was greeted by a very macabre sight.

Chapter Four: An Eye For An Eye, A Paw For An Ore

The beige, leather tunic was stained with fresh scarlet blood. Dowloze's wounds made him look as if he had been attacked by the creature itself, instead of a mere boulder. Noticing the unperturbed Deep Peridot lying next to Dowloze, Parcot slowly picked it up, examining it closely for anything that could aid him. Just then, another roar caused his attention to shift wholly to the beast, which apparently was just a whisker away from his face.

"What manner of crawler is this?" Parcot wondered, "It carries the smell of venom from the north, yet it dwells here in the Lordaeron Mines..."

The reptile wasted no time. It's head swung at Parcot with lightning speed, causing the caverns to rumble once more. Unfortunately, the tiny runt was more fit for gathering than combat. He lept towards the side, but the force of the blow was enough to knock him off his feet. While struggling to keep up with his opponent, he suddenly felt the light of the Deep Peridot coming to life in his very palm.

Go for the tail.

Parcot was stunned for a second or two. He could've sworn something just spoke in his thoughts. However, he brushed it off as a trick of his mind, as he jumped away from a second strike by the creature.

I said go for the tail.

Fear and confusion began to grip Parcot when he heard it again. This time the 'thought' seemed rather annoyed. Nonetheless, he ignored it once more and charged towards the monster's belly with his rusted shovel, only to flee from it when it let out another terrifying howl.

"How in the world will I manage to get out of this mess?" Parcot pondered to himself in frustration.

I told you to go for its tail, numbskull, it doesn't get any clearer than that.

This time Parcot began to feel goosebumps. That was definitely not an imaginary voice.

Chapter Five: My Whiskers Are Confused

With

Last edited:
Level 19
Whoops, sorry about that, I think my Internet went offline about then but good thing I saved the first one, anyways, there'll be constant updates too, thanks for telling me:)

Level 19
Thank you so much you both, I hope to keep this story going well... Till the very end of it, it'll be updated bit by bit daily.

Level 17
Nice story although the Massive font size for the chapters is kinda irritating. You also are meant have each chapter like a story in its self (Start/Middle?End) the paragraph chapters just seem a bit odd. Also you could conjoin chapter 1 and 2 and probs 3.
Nom nom nom to chapter 4 QQ.

When you say ' "I'll call it a day then." ' he thought....
It would make more sense to put the thoughts in itallics. Also you don't have to use a fullstop it might be better to do this I'll call it a day then; he thought...
Or if you were to keep the fullstop make sure "he" has a capital so "He"
"Sorry for being a gramma nazi"

Very nice opening though. Think you could make a good story out of this after some more time updating.
Also you draw the reader into the story quite well capturing a funny side to the unknown kolbold.
Great story 9.99/10 Please write some more, can't wait

P.S I wanna read more D= who ate that chapter 4

Level 19
Hmm... Noted, sorry about that, I do however, update this every day (Even to the minutest full stop), so don't worry about it being abandoned. Half done stories are usually because of my Internet Connection, but that's okay once I fix them:)
Thanks for your comments!

Level 17
Yey
More story seriously the supsense is killing D=
Also why do you use -- and not ...? Is it preference or is -- actually a part of punctuation in the english language?
Like chapter 3 but really wanna read rest of it. Can't wait till tomoz
So not to spam i decided to keep my comments in this post so
Chapter 3 YEY Chapter 4 Yey
Really really really good and enjoyable ty for writing more its epic.
Can't wait for chapter 5....
Also think when you finished all chapter ill reread it so it makes sense instead of fragmented in my mind.
>.> the Suspense is deathly

Also questions about the story, just outa curiosity:
Is the mine like a slave mine for the kolbolds or is it. The kolbolds job to mine or does he do it volutarilly.
If he does it volutarilly or it is his job why doesnt he get seen stealing stuff from the mine.
And if its in a slave camp are there guards? Or do they not have overseers and its more like a jail with forced leighbour.

Edit; Yey an update after so long. Whats up with the 1 word chapter 2? Otherwise very good story keep up the good work. Although maybe a better word could of been used instead of "frightening the two kobolds even further" . Maybe Terrified or Petrified. Or unerved or something ^^. Looking forward to more

Last edited:
Level 6
I read through all of them and found it to be an interesting story :O It sorta drew me in too... I hope there will be more and I didn't find anything wrong with it. Overall it's looks pretty good to me :D

Level 19
Thanks guys:)
I'm going to try updating it on a daily basis too, even if it's just bits and pieces of the story per edit.

Newcomer Note: Please look to the first post for the story which would be updated constantly.

PS: Stay tuned and do post here to bump it!

Edit: Updated my story once more!

Last edited:
Level 16
:infl_thumbs_up:And with me you have 2 fans! It is nice to see somethin else on this forum. Very interesting and exciting, keep up the good work!
Looking forward to the next captor!

210613-albums5078-picture51365.jpg
Must find out what happens next...so excited!!!

Level 16
A charming story

Tears are coming down my face
"Poor little weasel, he's reality is confined to that cave. Confinement is also true for our society, we are slaves to the system and the majority of us don't realize that. But I'm pretty sure that his is the shovel that will pierce the heavens!!!

Just now you inspired me to write my own story. Did you consider joining a short story contest?!
210613-albums5078-picture51480.jpg

Last edited:
Level 14
I read the first part and I rofled :pir:
If I'll get the time I'll review it. Currently I think your english is good, but your writing is bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.