• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

My first serious terraining :P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
well this is my first serious attempt. tell me what i should done and shouldnt done :)

here u go the pic os uploaded now

Attachments

• WC3ScrnShot_012107_141432_01.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_012107_141432_01.jpg
    762.9 KB · Views: 278
Last edited by a moderator:
Level 7
Its nice, but I have the feeling you aren't done? The area closest to us looks really blank and needs a bit more tile variation around the lake.

Last edited:
Level 13
Try making some different sized trees and adding in some rocks/lillypads/wildlife. Also when you place trees dont just use the biggest tool you can and mass smear them across the board. Place them in small clumps similar to how blizard does. It makes your map look more dimensional by adding depth.
Also, the way things grow in nature is important to the way your terrain looks. Maybe add in some stuff around the dock (lillypads and cattails) since thats where they tend to grow.
Also you should smoothe out the terrain a little. The noise tool is terrible unless you use it with the smooth tool to make a desert.
One more thing, theres no hills in your map, try adding in some mountains in the background and some hills under your trees.
Anyway, hope that helps some. You have a good start so i wanna see it when its finished. Good luck and happy terraining. :D

EDIT:
Might wanna add in a sky and some weather/fog. Add it in under senerio. I think a felwood sky would look nice with what you have.

Last edited:
Level 27
make it looking more nature ... just go terrain and create how you think nature should look like ... if ur not happy with the results? then edit some parts or even remove some things until you finaly have what requiers all of your skills and which you are proud of...

Nature parts of terrain must not seem PERFECT .. nature is random ;)

Level 27
Tips:

1. Try to add more tileset variation at grass/paths and even mountains ...
2. Add shrubs and rocks on a place where they do good ...
3. Some nice toads or other special doodads on some places will do good also.
4. When having clumps of trees better raise the ground where they are placed on..
5. Mostly a down-raised lake looks better then a cliffed-lake or the cliffed-lake should have 'hidden' cliffs
6. A good theme-sky is always the next graphical step of taking a screenshot and presenting your map!
7. Units and houses can be added if you wish to.. not much but maybe a little just to make the terrain more alive

Eh... more i dont have to say right now ;)

Level 27
1. RESIZE AND COMPRESS YOUR FRICKING IMAGE
2. Crop it, no terrain looks as it should be viewed with the WE interface in the way.
3. simply Repetitive. use more variation and spread things out..
4.Dont just use ripple all over the terrain.
5.Tiles need more variation.
6.Needs a sky.

7. DONT DOUBLE POST.

Almost the same things as i said .. who is double posting? =/

Merged your posts.

Next time, use the edit button...

Heh? whos double posting??

Status
Not open for further replies.