• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

[SD/Modeling] My blp is way too huge (10mb) :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Greetings!
I've found a texture(.blp) on hive and was almost very good in size (3.5mb) (maybe is still way too big, i am not so sure).
The problem is that i wanted to edit it so i convert it into TGA with [blp lab] and i tried even with [Warcraft 3 Viewer] and the size increased to (16mb)
After that i edited the TGA file with Photoshop and i save it. Afterwards i convert the TGA again in Blp with [Warcraft 3 Viewer] and the model now has (10mb)
[blp lab] for some reason doesn't convert good in blp.

Is there a better way to reduce the size back to (3.5mb) or even less without lose the quality?
The help will be appreciated!:peasant-bowing:

Attachments

• TestTest.blp
    9.7 MB · Views: 4
Level 11
Hi, I'm not a pro at this but these are at least smaller in file size. I do wonder where you need 2048x2048 texture though.
1674917209241.png

Honestly, i have no idea how to use optimal texture size, but i need high quality textures.
I found this nice texture and i just add it to this fireplace.
Thanks, i'll try your texture!

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
Looks like you are using SD graphics. Usually textures you'd want to use are 128x128 or 256x256, while textures that are used a lot and cover large areas (like texture for a mountain or a wall) could be 512x512. Yours is 2048x2048, unnecessarily huge for such a small object.
I'd recommend just reducing the pixel count down considerably if you want to pack the texture better. I'd say that UV wrapping on the model used matters more than the difference you get from going down in texture size (unless you start to lose details).

Level 18
Here's one that I went:

BLP -> BMP (lossless, using BLP lab).

Then went BMP -> DDS using these settings in photoshop with the DDS plugin to keep as much quality without losing anything
settings.png

Don't worry the game automatically converts DDS to BLP so you can import even though it's not BLP. It should have no noticeable drop in texture quality.

Attachments

• testestdds.dds
    5.3 MB · Views: 1
Status
Not open for further replies.