• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Multiple versions of one map

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 25
Sometimes I am working on the latest release like 1.7 and the previous was more stable like 1.6. It would be cool to have the possibility to add a development version and a stable version per map for people who like to try out new stuff or even have multiple versions of the map around. The new release might have bugs you didn't find yet and people learn about it, so they might want to avoid the latest version. You don't want to go back to the old version completely but continue fixing the latest version.

I know it is possible to upload multiple maps but then you have to download a ZIP archive with all versions if you use the big download button or choose the latest one of the files.

Maybe you could simplify it like a "Download Development/Alpha version" and a regular download button for the stable version, so people can decide what they want to test.

Currently, you cannot even download only one map from the map resource: World of Warcraft Reforged 1.7

Level 15
Sometimes I am working on the latest release like 1.7 and the previous was more stable like 1.6. It would be cool to have the possibility to add a development version and a stable version per map for people who like to try out new stuff or even have multiple versions of the map around. The new release might have bugs you didn't find yet and people learn about it, so they might want to avoid the latest version. You don't want to go back to the old version completely but continue fixing the latest version.

I know it is possible to upload multiple maps but then you have to download a ZIP archive with all versions if you use the big download button or choose the latest one of the files.

Maybe you could simplify it like a "Download Development/Alpha version" and a regular download button for the stable version, so people can decide what they want to test.

Currently, you cannot even download only one map from the map resource: World of Warcraft Reforged 1.7

Honestly it is not a bad idea. Especially considering the divisive mindset around Reforged, it may be helpful to have functionality for versions regarding compatibility on a patch-oriented basis.

However I do enjoy that developmental versions often find their way to the Map Development forum while reserving the map page for the stable version. This of course is merely a preference, and one that should not stand in the way of any potential progress regarding site development.

Should there ever be a button added for multiple versions of a map or a drop down menu of some kind, I would support it full heartedly.

Level 25
Yes I would imagine to always have one main version/stable version which is downloaded by the big Download button. The rest would only be additional stuff. Hence, it should not be downloaded together as a ZIP archive but separately and the files should be distinguished (visibly), featuring the main version and the rest could be in an additional box.

edit:
I also have the issue that I want to restrict my map to SD graphics since HD graphics might lead to lags. However, some people want to play the map in singleplayer and use HD graphics. That would be another case of having an SD restricted version which is the default but offer some HD version for players. The same goes for optimized vs non-optimized versions. The official download could be optimized but you want to provide a version which can be modified in the World Editor.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.