• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Multiple Dummy Spells Using Same Base Spell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
I am trying to create multiple dummy spells from a single base spell; each dummy spell is a custom spell that was copy/pasted from the base spell.

I have triggers to detect the casting of an ability and display an appropriate effect and message; they make a simple comparison of
Ability being cast - Is Equal To - Custom Spell X
Each trigger is set to detect only one custom spell each.

All custom spells are given to a single unit. Casting one custom spell results in all custom spells being cast at once, as though they were one spell. All the triggers fire at once, as all the custom spells were cast.

I know that this can easily be worked around by using different base spells for each custom spell, but I would like to know if there is another workaround for this that would allow me to use the same base spell for multiple custom spells. I have looked through the tutorials and haven't found any that directly address this issue; I am certainly curious as to how it is resolved for imported spells that may happen to use the same base spell!

Level 3
Channel is a really useful dummy spell for a couple reasons. First, is that it has a lot of open fields for modification (you can make it instant cast, target a unit, target a point, etc). The other big bonus is that its OrderID can be changed. This means that the same unit can use two spells through triggers that were both based off of Channel and won't cause both spells to always go off simultaneously. In order to do that, though, you just have to change the BaseOrderID's of each of the spells. It's the same principle as making multiple Spellbooks, just use some random ID that you know will never be used in your map (trust me, there are plenty of them).

The only place where Channel lacks (and if this can be fixed someone please let me know), is that it has no icon and you can't click it in game. It can only be activated by triggers (this was a particularly devastating issue with my current map that I'm working on).

So what's the solution? "Charge Gold and Lumber" my friend, "Charge Gold and Lumber". This is the third and, as far as I know, last ability that allows you to change the BaseOrderID; and, better yet, it has an icon that shows up in game and is clickable. Just set the gold and lumber charged fields to zero and start making your effects in triggers. So long as you change those OrderID's to random and different ones, you can base a crapload of spells off that one ability.

Level 3
I've been tinkering with the Channel spell the past days, and what you say rings true; except After some frustrated testing, I discovered that Channel actually has a field for visibility in the command card. It's under "Data - Options", which contains several check-boxes; the "Visible" check-box toggles its visibility in the command card! The other check-boxes, such as Unique Cast, are a mystery to me.

Anyways, thanks for the help, everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.